Vegetables Simmered in Olive Oil

it's a very nice way to prepare different kind of vegetables.

artichokes are very good - i made recipes by Clifford Wright and from River Cafe in the past,

and today it's more sophisticated version that also calls for wine (used riesling), honey

and some flour (!) from Spice by Ana Sortun (btw it's an excellent book, reminds me of Greg Malouf's- upscale middle eastern sort of thing).

here is the dish before going to the oven:

artichokesistambul5fm.jpg

recently i made some cherry tomato and cherry peppers confit:

before cooking:

tomatoconfit6tz.jpg

and after:

tomatoconfitafter2vr.jpg

Abby, we had tomato/pepper confit as a side dish - i forgot with what though :blush:

Suzanne, it actually depends - the tomato confit was done on the stove, but yes artichokes were cooked in 375F oven, for about 40mins, until easily pierced...

today i made another confit, of yellow peppers: the original recipe is from Luques' cookbook and Goin uses yellow tomatoes but i couldnt find them so decided that peppers might be afterall not such a bad idea.

Here are pix - before and after confiting; the final confit is actually a sauce, you blend the roasted vegetables until they are creamy - my pepper version came out looking like a saffron aioli, bright yellow :P

yellowpepperconfitbefore18kt.jpg

yellowpepperconfitafter17tg.jpg

what, pray, is evoo?

Short for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. One of many expressions coined by I'm-sure-she's-nice-but-I-still-find-her-annoying US food television star, Rachel Ray. 1891105116.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Others:

"MMM! I can taste it already!"

"Yummo!"

"I'm just gonna Garbage Bowl that!"

etc.

what, pray, is evoo?

Short for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. One of many expressions coined by I'm-sure-she's-nice-but-I-still-find-her-annoying US food television star, Rachel Ray. 1891105116.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Others:

"MMM! I can taste it already!"

"Yummo!"

"I'm just gonna Garbage Bowl that!"

etc.

Thanks. I can't understand why I couldn't figure that out....