• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may not be Wingding, but I did pretty well this afternoon. For reasons having to do with a confusion between 1 1/2 cups and 1 1/2 pints I found myself with a pint of Butterworks Farm cream to use u

Lippy, have you tried any of Butterworks' yogurts? They're wonderful. And, not that it matters, Jack and Ann Lazor – the owners/farmers – are two of the nicest, hardest working, saltiest-of-the-earth

Thanks to @bloviatrix. And to pretty damn good strawberries without them flying in all the way from Cali...  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I use ultra pasturized heavy cream and I'm very happy results. If anything, when I use Sky Top cream or some other premium cream, I think the fat content makes the ice cream a little grainy.

A look at the side of a carton of Shoprite ultra-pasteurized cream cleared up the mystery. It contains carageenan, mono- and di-glycerides and polysorbate 60, in other words, emulsifiers present in commercial ice cream that are lacking in ice cream made with "artisanal" cream like Evans or Skytop. A dilemma.

• 3 weeks later...

N did a little experimenting, making Philadelphia-style maple ice cream and then mixing it in a container with homemade unsweetened applesauce and broken-up speculoos (a Belgian/Dutch ginger spice cookie, made from Lebovitz's recipe). I think the cookie chunks were a little too large, but otherwise it's a really good blend of flavors and a nice way to start autumn.

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm using one of the frozen tub machines, how frozen should the ice cream get? I let it go about 30 minutes until the machine sounded like it was straining. (Although it always sounds a little grindy.) The lower half was the consistency of firm soft custard. the upper half, though much looser. I know it will firm up in the freezer, but I'm guessing that if it's not hard enough, it's not trapping enough air in that part.

• 3 weeks later...

Lebovitz's cinnamon ice cream is outstanding. Steeping cinnamon sticks for an hour in the milk/cream/sugar really gives the base an intensity you could never get with ground cinnamon, and the fact that it's a custard makes it even more luscious.

• 1 month later...

Another shortcut recipe, this time using Williams-Sonoma's pumpkin ice cream base (the 2nd part of the gift card). Sweeter than I would have made it, but lots of good spices and bits of pumpkin. There were 2 packets in the time, so next time we might add our own caramel ribbon or something similar.

• 1 month later...

Green tea ice cream. We used sencha powder rather than matcha, so it came out gray-green rather than the bright green in the picture in Lebovitz's book. We decided to use the (canned) sweet red beans as a topping rather than folding into the ice cream as he suggests.