• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may not be Wingding, but I did pretty well this afternoon. For reasons having to do with a confusion between 1 1/2 cups and 1 1/2 pints I found myself with a pint of Butterworks Farm cream to use u

Lippy, have you tried any of Butterworks' yogurts? They're wonderful. And, not that it matters, Jack and Ann Lazor – the owners/farmers – are two of the nicest, hardest working, saltiest-of-the-earth

I see it's still being made and sells for about $50.   Donvier ice cream maker   I'm sure there are better ice cream makers on the market, though.

Posted Images

How is the ice cream made? Is it done in a stand-alone machine with a compressor, or a machine where the bowl has to be frozen in the freezer beforehand?

It’s made in a frozen bowl (kitchen Aid mixer ice cream attachment). Mrs. P basically just used coconut milk and coconut cream. She initially also tried it with coconut water but it was too icy, so she removed the coconut water in the next batch.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2110918999_Lellomachine.jpeg.e2e05509417a49df68462e2df8696fbd.jpeg

This is my 16(!) year old Lello 4070 ice cream machine. When I schlepped it out of the pantry last week, I was worried it wasn't going to really work any more. But I plugged it in, and after a little bit of wheezing, it was like old times. The first batches I churned were a Sicilian-style gelato, using cornstarch in the base, and a melon sorbet. The gelato was delicious, the melon sorbet less so - I never have great luck using melons for sorbet (other than watermelon) - they're too fluffy or something. In any event, my ice creams and sorbets are very basic - I use nothing really weird, just sugar, fruit, vanilla, milk, cream, salt and occasionally eggs - the cornstarch was my first attempt at anything other than those ingredients.

Yesterday, I made two more.

1260593043_Phillystylevanilla07-26.jpeg.297b414484a7ef2af534a80028d64606.jpeg

A true Philadelphia-style Madagascar vanilla bourbon ice cream.  Cream, milk, vanilla beans, salt, bourbon. Into the fridge for 4 or 5 hours and spun.

2132821434_CherrysorbetvanillaicecreamPhiiystyle07-26.jpeg.484ee8d655c0d8ea92fbb05b9ff4cca9.jpeg

I also made a sorbet from local cherries; don't know the variety, but they were sweet, not sour.  The sorbet was, in my opinion, meh. Actually too sweet and I may have overused kirsch. Gotta go back to my more successful citrus sorbets - I just have better luck with them. The ice cream, on the other hand, is great. Not an ice crystal in sight, just delicious.

I was all set to treat myself to a new ice cream machine (a Whynter), but this Lello is really a nice product, so I'll use it till it croaks.

I have a lello musso I picked up from a closed restaurant and haven't used yet except a trial run with water sorbet. It's really built like a tank. 

• Like 1

My latest two batches (sorbet) came out really good. A (local) cherry/lime rum concoction. And lemon/lime, with a bit of gin, for a Tom Collins sorbet.

planning on trying some corn syrup (non high-fructose) to see if that gets me closer to sorbet nirvana.  

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Please share the lemon/lime recipe. Tom Collins sorbet intrigues me.

Uh oh. I'll try... I've always made my sorbets based on a Cook's Illustrated article I read last century. Which are all just fruit, sugar, water, and maybe booze. Since fruits vary wildly in their sugar content, it becomes a bit of a guessing game this way. Oh, they also vary wildly in pectin, but shit it's just sorbet, right?

I usually make lemon sorbet, but I had cut a lime, so I squeezed that first...squeezed 1/2 cup of citrus after I finely grated some of the (well-washed, hopefully organic) rind. But only the lemon rind, in this case, as I don't love lime rind. Add 1.5 cups of water, a T of the grated rind, the citrus juice to a blender with 1 heavy cup (maybe 210 or so grams) of sugar and 1.5 T gin (and a dash of salt). Whiz it up. Into the fridge (I like overnight here). Into the ice cream maker. 

Last night, I served us up 2 scoops each, Usually I freeze the bowls that I'm gonna serve sorbet or ice cream in; that wasn't the case last night. And it melted faster than normal and basically melted into what it is before you freeze it. This is where I plan on making a change; by experimenting with corn syrup, as I try to lessen how sweet my sorbets are. I might even buy a refractometer - because what else is there to do these days? Imagine how much fun one can have experimenting with sugar levels!

Science Of Sorbet

Sucrose is fairly sweet and doesn't add much body to a syrup. That's why pastry chefs look to liquid sugar like invert sugar, glucose, or dextrose, which all make sorbet creamier when used properly. The easiest alternative sugar—the one you can find in any American supermarket—is plain 'ol non-high-fructose corn syrup. Trust me: it's lemon sorbet's best friend.