Lippy

Ice Cream

How is the ice cream made? Is it done in a stand-alone machine with a compressor, or a machine where the bowl has to be frozen in the freezer beforehand?

How is the ice cream made? Is it done in a stand-alone machine with a compressor, or a machine where the bowl has to be frozen in the freezer beforehand?

It’s made in a frozen bowl (kitchen Aid mixer ice cream attachment). Mrs. P basically just used coconut milk and coconut cream. She initially also tried it with coconut water but it was too icy, so she removed the coconut water in the next batch.

First ice cream (ok, it's actually sherbet but still..... I need the ice cream maker) of the season...Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk.

Milk Chocolate Guinness Ice Cream. 

Absolutely delicious.

This week's ice cream is Black Peppermint Chocolate Chip. Peppermint is from Lani's.

2110918999_Lellomachine.jpeg.e2e05509417a49df68462e2df8696fbd.jpeg

This is my 16(!) year old Lello 4070 ice cream machine. When I schlepped it out of the pantry last week, I was worried it wasn't going to really work any more. But I plugged it in, and after a little bit of wheezing, it was like old times. The first batches I churned were a Sicilian-style gelato, using cornstarch in the base, and a melon sorbet. The gelato was delicious, the melon sorbet less so - I never have great luck using melons for sorbet (other than watermelon) - they're too fluffy or something. In any event, my ice creams and sorbets are very basic - I use nothing really weird, just sugar, fruit, vanilla, milk, cream, salt and occasionally eggs - the cornstarch was my first attempt at anything other than those ingredients.

Yesterday, I made two more.

1260593043_Phillystylevanilla07-26.jpeg.297b414484a7ef2af534a80028d64606.jpeg

A true Philadelphia-style Madagascar vanilla bourbon ice cream.  Cream, milk, vanilla beans, salt, bourbon. Into the fridge for 4 or 5 hours and spun.

2132821434_CherrysorbetvanillaicecreamPhiiystyle07-26.jpeg.484ee8d655c0d8ea92fbb05b9ff4cca9.jpeg

I also made a sorbet from local cherries; don't know the variety, but they were sweet, not sour.  The sorbet was, in my opinion, meh. Actually too sweet and I may have overused kirsch. Gotta go back to my more successful citrus sorbets - I just have better luck with them. The ice cream, on the other hand, is great. Not an ice crystal in sight, just delicious.

I was all set to treat myself to a new ice cream machine (a Whynter), but this Lello is really a nice product, so I'll use it till it croaks.

I have a lello musso I picked up from a closed restaurant and haven't used yet except a trial run with water sorbet. It's really built like a tank. 

• Like 1

My latest two batches (sorbet) came out really good. A (local) cherry/lime rum concoction. And lemon/lime, with a bit of gin, for a Tom Collins sorbet.

planning on trying some corn syrup (non high-fructose) to see if that gets me closer to sorbet nirvana.  

• Thanks 1