4 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

you like the tapioca starch or you dont? I've never tried it.

I like it - I've had really good results with it.  And it doesn't need to be brought up to the boil like corn starch.

(And I edited my post above to make more sense - thanks!)

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may not be Wingding, but I did pretty well this afternoon. For reasons having to do with a confusion between 1 1/2 cups and 1 1/2 pints I found myself with a pint of Butterworks Farm cream to use u

Lippy, have you tried any of Butterworks' yogurts? They're wonderful. And, not that it matters, Jack and Ann Lazor – the owners/farmers – are two of the nicest, hardest working, saltiest-of-the-earth

Thanks to @bloviatrix. And to pretty damn good strawberries without them flying in all the way from Cali...  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

where do you get your basic tapioca starch including ice cream recipe? 

I first learned from the Dana Cree book...https://www.hellomynameisicecream.com/

https://www.saveur.com/dana-cree-ice-cream-cookbook/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NGTSX85/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, joethefoodie said:

I couldn't believe I found this at a local bodega...

IMG_7214.thumb.jpeg.947b37816cfd4109933568f7bd748889.jpeg

Surprisingly in very good condition, perhaps even better condition than some local stuff I've bought.

I'm getting closer and closer to buying a Ninja Creami, but I should behave.

lemon and marionberry is my fave of theirs. i really want to try grapefruit vanilla. 

On 7/22/2022 at 7:54 AM, joethefoodie said:

I'm a skeptic.  So when Ninja (basically, the Ron Popeil of the new millennium) came out with the Creami ice cream/sorbet/etc. machine last year (based on the Pacojet's engineering), I was really skeptical. (I believe the Pacojet technology patent had expired, or something that lawyers might understand better than I do.)

But I do know a few people who like their various Ninja products - the grill, the this, the that, whatever. I own nothing Ninja - or should I say - I owned nothing Ninja. Now, there are plenty of videos where assorted smart people tear down this product, and they are impressed at both the build and what's produced by it.

But still I observed with skepticism as others  were producing nice looking ice cream, nice looking sorbets, etc. etc. And then - Amazon Prime day happened, and the price of the Ninja Creami, through Amazon, dropped to less than I'd pay for dinner at Cafe Katja.  So even though I have a fancy compressor ice cream maker, I couldn't resist. And...

1221360769_Nina07-22.thumb.jpeg.660d2850cb9afd7063a219f761582322.jpeg

The beauty of the Creami is that you can have many bases in your freezer (bases need to be well frozen, say 24 hours in a home freezer (and yes, I know those who have blast freezers who do it much quicker than that)). And once the bases are frozen, the machine turns them into whatever in like 3 minutes. And it's a breeze to clean - actually, there's almost nothing to clean except the pint container your ice cream is in.

Anyway, almost following the recipe booklet that comes with the Creami (I can never follow a recipe exactly), I froze a couple of pints 2 nights ago. And last night, I tried it out for the first time.

Disregarding the fact that my scooping technique would probably get me fired from most any self-respecting ice cream shoppe (yes, those are finger indents)...

208833234_ArnoldPalmerandStrawberryNinja07-21-22.thumb.jpeg.ee3b3f0622406bb319ce5b9b2686cffe.jpeg

Here's an Arnold Palmer sorbet and strawberry ice cream (Philly style). They were both surprisingly good, with no detectable ice crystals and great mouth feel. 

Whether the machine holds up for a year or more is a whole other story, but I'm kind of impressed. 

i've drinking arnold palmer's everyday maybe i need to sorbet them

• Like 1
23 hours ago, splinky said:

Never had an Arnold Palmer, but would a Shandy work?   (in France, panache)

On 8/2/2022 at 9:24 PM, splinky said:

Significant Eater does as well. The AP sorbet is easy enough, just subbing a good, strong iced tea for the water in a lemon sorbet.

1 hour ago, voyager said:

Never had an Arnold Palmer, but would a Shandy work?   (in France, panache)

Different, And I don’t know about beer in a sorbet.

• Like 1