I just love the stuff. Today I realized that all the watermelon I see is seedless. When did they stop growing old-fashioned seedy watermelon ? (not that I want any but just wondering) Has anyone noticed any loss of flavor or anything at all different about the seedless other than the lack of seeds?

You mean my grandkids (if I ever have any) wont be able to spit seeds at each other on a sticky hot August night on the deck?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, yes, yes and yes! (and the same seems sadly to be true of yellow sweet corn as the market tends to demand the super sweet white varieties, but that is another thread!)

Old fashioned seeded watermelons are increasingly rare. We find the seedless replacements difficult to judge and frequently of dubious texture and flavor. In fact, this last holiday weekend, because I had no choice, I bought a seedless melon, found it mushy, and finally tossed it in the blender with ice cubes. Nice save, but not the juicy slices we think of as part of summer.

That amuse is BRILLIANT!

I've had some good watermelon this year. I have half of one of those adorable "sinlge serving" ones in my fridge right now. I've also enjoyed the yellow: a little mushy but very, very sweet.

My mother's side of the family has grown the same watermelons on their farm in southern Kentucky for more than 100 years. These "Slinker" watermelons are round with a very dark green skin. They have a lot of seeds, but the fruit is so sweet that it is worth having to spit the seeds every few bites. We do nothing more than hold them in a tub filled with ice until ready to eat, slice into wedges and sprinkle with some salt.

The local watermelons are supposed to start coming in in the next week or so. Up to now, all we have had has been the seedless things from Texas. I am waiting for some good old black diamond, yum.

FYI.

Dilley is the self proclaimed watermelon capital of Texas, and is located on IH-35, 70 miles south of San Antonio, and 85 miles north of Laredo. If you are flying in, Dilley has a 3,400 foot lighted runway.

Dilley is also known for its hundreds of Japanese snow monkies. :blush:

I bought a small round one in Chinatown a few weeks ago, not expecting much. Super-sweet, melon-y tasting yellow flesh with lots of real seeds. Surprise!

In Italy I learned to put cinnamon on watermelon - delicious.

Last week I tasted some local Watermelon purchased at a farm stand. It had black seeds and was tasty!

Girlchow brought a spiked watermelon to one of Col Klink's potlucks/cookouts a couple years ago. Very refreshsing.

I love Watermelon Salad... with mint, feta... what else do you put in your Watermelon Salads?

Seared watermelon in Cafe Atlantico was very good, they served it with bacon wrapped baby pheasant and deconstructed mole.

We also had some sort of watermelon based gazpacho i just don't remember any details.

I'm assuming that the seedless WM's are genetically modified? :P

Gimme seeds anyday.

There are organic seedless watermelons, which are genetically modified by insects , because that makes it ok :blush: