I'm assuming that the seedless WM's are genetically modified? :blush:

I was intrigued so I looked it up. Apparently you treat a regular diploid (2 sets of chromosomes) watermelon with the alkaloid colchicine which interferes with meiosis (splitting of chromosome pairs) resulting in tetraploid (4 sets) offspring. That's then bred with a regular diploid watermelon to produce triploid (3 sets) offspring. These last are sterile and so produce no seeds.

So it is a sort of genetic modification but no new genetic material is introduced.

Edit: I don't know how this relates to Orik's insects.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

José Andrés and Katsuya did watermelon ten ways at the F&W classic in Aspen....sadly I only remember a couple of ways, one of which being watermelon foam served over a 'salad' of uni and white grapes. :blush:

I'm assuming that the seedless WM's are genetically modified? :blush:

I was intrigued so I looked it up. Apparently you treat a regular diploid (2 sets of chromosomes) watermelon with the alkaloid colchicine which interferes with meiosis (splitting of chromosome pairs) resulting in tetraploid (4 sets) offspring. That's then bred with a regular diploid watermelon to produce triploid (3 sets) offspring. These last are sterile and so produce no seeds.

So it is a sort of genetic modification but no new genetic material is introduced.

Edit: I don't know how this relates to Orik's insects.

I'll sleep soundly knowing that you are working across the road from where I am sleeping. If I have trouble sleeping, I'll give you a call and you can talk diploids to me. :P :P

When they want to sell them as organic, they plant diploids with tetraploids and have bees to the work.

Ah, those devious organic farmers.

cunning, aren't they?

But yes, the best varieties have a relatively short season and plenty of seeds. (and because of the seeds, I assume, shorter shelf life)

José Andrés and Katsuya did watermelon ten ways at the F&W classic in Aspen....sadly I only remember a couple of ways, one of which being watermelon foam served over a 'salad' of uni and white grapes. :blush:

I loved your story about José's little girl and the "silly steak!"

José Andrés and Katsuya did watermelon ten ways at the F&W classic in Aspen....sadly I only remember a couple of ways, one of which being watermelon foam served over a 'salad' of uni and white grapes. :P

I loved your story about José's little girl and the "silly steak!"

Ah, yes, the silly steak. Said silly steak got altoids microplaned on top. :blush:

Watermelon with feta, also watermelon with ricotta salata.

After hearing Omni wax euphoric about feta and watermelon, I checked the Nigella Lawson recipe for watermelon salad...Lots of it was superfluous, but I added a red onion, sliced thinly, soaked in the juice of a couplah limes for 15 minutes or so. I mixed all this with the melon, the feta, and a T. of olive oil, and it's amazing...The lime juice does magical things to the red onion, and vice-a-versa...She also suggests mint, parsley, olives, but I've kept it simple...