• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.   Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and instal

Which email program?

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.   as for your mysterious troubles

next question. when i'm looking at a pdf document in safari, can i zoom in or otherwise change the font size?

Short answer: Yes.

Long-ish answer: Get the Adobe Acrobat plug-in & do it all with the same Acrobat toolbar (even selecting text to copy). It's been so long that I can't recall if the plug-in was downloaded separately or as part of the Reader package. I think it was the latter.

Adobe Reader

• 3 weeks later...

I started this thread a while ago. The next two weeks are my window (no pun). The missus has given me an ultimatum. Buy the damned thing (and soon) or lose the money for it.

Should I buy right now or can I give Mrs. G a good reason to wait a month or two for something fantastic?

I started this thread a while ago. The next two weeks are my window (no pun). The missus has given me an ultimatum. Buy the damned thing (and soon) or lose the money for it.

Should I buy right now or can I give Mrs. G a good reason to wait a month or two for something fantastic?

I think it's funnier (for us) to hem and haw for a while to see if she'll follow through with the ultimatum.

I think it's funnier (for us) to hem and haw for a while to see if she'll follow through with the ultimatum.

Oh she'll follow through all right. I can already see two more carats on her finger inside of a month. I know how her mind works. :P

From a quick perusal of the Apple site, it appears that all machines now come with the new Intel chip, so there's no reason to wait. We're very happy with the mini. With the 23" monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse it's a very neat arrangement.

Oh she'll follow through all right. I can already see two more carats on her finger inside of a month. I know how her mind works. :P

I like the way Mrs. Gatti thinks :P .

I'm interested in hearing from Omni as to whether there was a real pot 'o gold at the end of the Mac rainbow. We heard plenty about the migration difficulties. All of them seemed solvable with special software and a Mac support contract but the move was hardly painless. Now after it's finally complete (it is done, isn't it?) was it worth it?

FWIW I'm platform agnostic. It's a purely practical question.

I am using two laptops at the moment. A souped up Macbook (with Intel Centrino chip) and a top of the line Sony Vaio with the even newer Centrino2 chip).

The Mac is great, faster than my old Powerbook G4 and does everything I want it to pretty much how I want it to. The Sony is a very well made and well designed machine, with a faster chip and a lot of good bells and whistles that my MacBook doesn't have, including the ability to connect to the internet anywhere without a wifi connection -more than a bit handy for someone like me. The Sony is a pretty machine, even, unlike most PC laptops. It's been quite fun to have both.

But the more I use the Sony the more I am reminded what a complete and utter m-i-n-d-f-u-c-k the Windows OS is, especially when I have my Mac on the side to compare everything to. And I'm not a new Windows user, mind you. I only just converted back to a Mac a year ago after nearly ten years of Windows only.

Get a Mac.