unless you're transporting gigantic files you're unlikely to be able to tell much of a difference after the first big back-up. and even if your current pc does not have a usb2.0 port (unlikely if it was purchased in the last 3-4 years) you'll still be able to run a regular usb cable from its usb1.0 port to the usb2.0 drive.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.   Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and instal

Which email program?

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.   as for your mysterious troubles

Does a USB2 bus also supply power? I have a 60gig external hard drive from LaCie that's about the size of a pack of index cards. It's powered through the Firewire connection so I don't have to deal with a bulky power brick and a separate connection to a wall socket. Just plug into the side of my iBook and it powers on and pops up on the desktop. Also supports USB2.

This is what I have, though I paid less for it at a discount web site. Looks like you can get an 80gig for about $150: click

All MacBook models feature: a full-size keyboard, Scrolling Trackpad, AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11b/g), Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire port, and optical digital and analog audio in/out.

Will buy new monitor (17 or 19) for use at home. Should be DVI monitor. (MacBooks only come in 13" at the moment, and I don't need to get a MacBook Pro for any reason, and don't need to spend that money either).

Then the work of the transfer, software, etc.

Get an optical mouse to use with the Mac Power Book. It is much easier than the scroll pad.

Does a USB2 bus also supply power?

my ipod is currently charging through a usb2 connection.

i purchased a maxtor 200gig drive for $150ish a couple of months ago. no complaints so far.

to clarify: the 200gig drive has its own power supply. i believe there is some limitation on the power that devices can draw through usb.

to clarify: the 200gig drive has its own power supply. i believe there is some limitation on the power that devices can draw through usb.

USB has a 5V rail and can supply 100 to 500 mA in a stepped fashion. This isn't enough for a hard drive, though. Most require about 800 mA at 5V at light load. You'll need an external power supply for any external hard drive.

Get an optical mouse to use with the Mac Power Book. It is much easier than the scroll pad.

I set my trackpad preferences to accept all “gestures.” Makes it almost easier to use than a mouse.