...it opens my mail client....

I have never understood why they call those things mail clients instead of mail slaves, servants, butlers or whatever. It just seems backwards.l

Actually, if you want to be all pedantic, the terms to know are MUA, MTA, MDA, MSA, and MRA. The good people at mutt explain it pretty well and Wikipedia can fill in the rest. Thunderbird, Outlook, and mutt are all MUAs and that's all most people deal with. And be glad that is all most people deal with (ask your local IT guy to look at his copy of the "bat book").

Well, that all actually makes some sense.

Still, I think I'm going to refer to my MUA as my mail bitch from now on. It just seems more appropriate.

honey, you're its bitch. that's how they're built.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.   Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and instal

Which email program?

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.   as for your mysterious troubles

I have never understood why they call those things mail clients instead of mail slaves, servants, butlers or whatever. It just seems backwards.l

Actually, if you want to be all pedantic, the terms to know are MUA, MTA, MDA, MSA, and MRA. The good people at mutt explain it pretty well and Wikipedia can fill in the rest. Thunderbird, Outlook, and mutt are all MUAs and that's all most people deal with. And be glad that is all most people deal with (ask your local IT guy to look at his copy of the "bat book").

Still, I think I'm going to refer to my MUA as my mail bitch from now on. It just seems more appropriate.

Aw jeez, I was having such fun pretending.

Aw jeez, I was having such fun pretending.

that costs extra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone give me a clue how to configure my 3G iPhone for email. I go to the email account place oin the phone and try to register for Microsoft Exchange. I enter my email address for my Verizon email account, user name and password and the domain/server that is listed on my email account settings on my Mac. I get a message that the phone was unable to verify the account or verification failed.

I assume I need to set up an account with either "Me" or Microsoft Exchange or some other service listed on my iPhone. When I syc with my iTunes, it asks me for the email account I want to use. If there is none in the box, it won;t transfer my email from Entourage to the iPhone. What am I doing wrong?

ETA: Aha, I've been advised that my Verizon account is a POP and I need to enter the settings from Entourage for it under "other" in the accounts section of the iPhone. So I will try that.

Problem solved. Seems that my email user name is not as I thought it was but an alias, so the verification failed. I entered my user name as on the account and it finally worked. I also figured out how to set up my contacts on my computer so they would transfer to the iPhone via iTunes. Life's small victories. Amazing how they make one feel as though they've accomplished something important. :lol:

I have been puzzled that my iPhone received emails but every time I sent one, it refused, with the message "Sender Address Invalid." My SMPT address from Verizon was correct and all the other setting were as well. The Verizon Tech support could not figure out the problem. Then I stumbled onto the answer through some trial and error. The incoming server address is Verizon's and it works. The valid outgoing server address is not Verizon's but ATT's. I changed the primary outgoing server address n the settings to ATT and turned off the Verizon server for outgoing, and voila! Emails sailed out of my phone like you know what through a goose!

Another problem solved by bumping around like a rat in a maze and finding the right door with a little logic and persistence.

Sheesh. Now I need to spend time to figure out how to solve global warming, world hunger, genocide and a few other trivial problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm thinking of drinking the Kool-Aid, but it's so much more expensive than the stuff I'm used to. Is it really worth it?

What is prompting my rumination is the sight of all the beautiful iMacs in the Chelsea galleries yesterday. (Does the company give them to art galleries, as a way of advertising?) However, what I really need is a laptop. I was assured by Time-Warner Cable today that my current router would be able to handle a Mac and a PC at the same time without any re-configuring.

It will cost me about three times as much to get a Mac with the same number of gigabytes as a PC. Is it really worth it?

I'm thinking of drinking the Kool-Aid, but it's so much more expensive than the stuff I'm used to. Is it really worth it?

What is prompting my rumination is the sight of all the beautiful iMacs in the Chelsea galleries yesterday. (Does the company give them to art galleries, as a way of advertising?) However, what I really need is a laptop. I was assured by Time-Warner Cable today that my current router would be able to handle a Mac and a PC at the same time without any re-configuring.

It will cost me about three times as much to get a Mac with the same number of gigabytes as a PC. Is it really worth it?

i just bought a new macbook at the end of the year and i love it. i've been a mac owner since the beginning and have been happy 99% of the time. you may want to look at apple's online clearance center and try to get a deal on last year's models. your new mac should recognize your router without any trouble.

I'm with Splink. I've got a MacBookPro and an AirMac and while those around me with PCs continue to have problems, my computers have been trouble-free for years. Before I went with the laptop, I had a Cube which lasted NINE YEARS. I challenge anyone to show me a PC that has that longevity.

Worth every penny.

I'm with Splink. I've got a MacBookPro and an AirMac and while those around me with PCs continue to have problems, my computers have been trouble-free for years. Before I went with the laptop, I had a Cube which lasted NINE YEARS. I challenge anyone to show me a PC that has that longevity.

I got 7 trouble-free years out of my previous Dell laptop, which was my only computer over that whole stretch. Running on Win 95, the machine was already a year or two old when it landed on me at the office. It'd still be running if I hadn't fried it with a mug of tea in its guts, though it was becoming increasingly useless for the Net a/c memory & outdated software issues.

Of course they don't build 'em like they used to.

Desktops are a lot sturdier than laptops, of course. I got my first Mac in 1986, I think. With the exception of a G4 cube, which needed to be immediately replaced, and which had to get sent back for repairs once or twice, my Apple desktops have been relatively trouble-free. Laptops are another story: my last (an iBook) conked out after 3 1/2 years. My current (a MacBook) is 2 1/2 years, and its problems have been slowly mounting; I suspect it won't last past another year.

I'd say this: AppleCare is pretty much the only extended warranty that's worth buying. If you get a Mac, get it.