Macs are simply a better quality product all round. Of course, this does mean a PC can't more than adequately do what you want it to do.

This is probably true.

You also have to factor in the probability that Mac-versions of software applications you use (i.e., Quicken) are likely to suck.

If you absolutely must have Windows apps, then install Windows on your Intel Mac and run them from there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.   Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and instal

Which email program?

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.   as for your mysterious troubles

I hate to break this to you, but Cancer-Cure for Mac isn't working as advertised.

My Mac has remained cancer free for years. The PC, on the other hand, is a cancer.

Oh, I thought you've been trying to cure cancer in humans.

You're not nearly the failure I'd been led to believe.

You have to add the cost of a keyboard and monitor to the cost of the Mini, so that doesn't count.

Which could be done for little more than $100 if you don't mind buying cheap crap.

The mini was designed to take the existing keyboard & monitor of a PC in order to make switching over to Macs less expensive. So, unless the existing monitor & keyboard are crap, it counts.

KVM (Keyboard, Video & Mouse) switches have been used for decades (on PC's & Unix systems) to permit these common items to be shared with 2 or more computers. Modern versions may have worked around the problems associated with the untimely disconnection of USB keyboards & mice. Running Windows on a Mini would certainly get around that issue.

The mini was designed to take the existing keyboard & monitor of a PC in order to make switching over to Macs less expensive. So, unless the existing monitor & keyboard are crap, it counts.

That wouldn't work for me. My current computer is a Dell laptop. I freely admit that part of my interest in the Mac stems from the beauty of the whole package.

Lip - as an avowed lover of art, there may be reasons to listen to your soul on wanting beautiful things in your life.

Art is contemplation. It is the pleasure of the mind which searches into nature and which there divines the spirit of which Nature herself is animated.

August Rodin

Any great work of art . . . revives and readapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world -- the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air.

Leonard Bernstein

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Pablo Picasso

Sometimes, the beauty of the thing and the warmth it gives the soul is worth more than what one's mind can rationalize. There is a tangible joy in having well-appreciated art in one's life. Part of why the art auction houses are not suffering too much in this economy and why it just plain feels good for someone like me to use a Mac, buy a sculpture, or attempt to make a living as an artist!

I'm with Splink. I've got a MacBookPro and an AirMac and while those around me with PCs continue to have problems, my computers have been trouble-free for years. Before I went with the laptop, I had a Cube which lasted NINE YEARS. I challenge anyone to show me a PC that has that longevity.

Worth every penny.

my original cube is still working!

We still have a working SE/30 and a IICX. We don't use them anymore (we have an iMac), but they work, unlike the PCs we owned during the same period.

I'm with Splink. I've got a MacBookPro and an AirMac and while those around me with PCs continue to have problems, my computers have been trouble-free for years. Before I went with the laptop, I had a Cube which lasted NINE YEARS. I challenge anyone to show me a PC that has that longevity.

Worth every penny.

my original cube is still working!

We still have a working SE/30 and a IICX. We don't use them anymore (we have an iMac), but they work, unlike the PCs we owned during the same period.

actually all of my old macs are still working. that's almost 25 years for the oldest one. pretty amazing, really

Carolyn, I agree. My gut feeling is that people are responding to the physical beauty of the Mac as much as its operating system, and more than any other reason that was why the artistic professions took to it in the first place. Even though both are designers, architects use Macs and engineers use PCs. There is no denying that the Mac is a status symbol also because it costs so much more than a cheap PC. I would love to have a beautiful piece of sculpture, but I need to know that it is going to work better for me than what I have now. If the system is going to crash and hang anyway, money being short, I'd rather not spend it on the piece of sculpture right now.

If the system is going to crash and hang anyway...

I think that is a crap-shoot argument -- you can have PCs crash and hang. I've had Macs for 30+ years and have yet to have it crash or hang. There is no guarantee that either system you invest in is going to be trouble-free. I've had the Blue Screen of Death on two PCs in my life but have never had a Mac completely die on me. My Ex has to buy a new computer every six months; it doesn't matter WHAT he buys, he kills them (even that $2,800 Indestructible PC that was sold with the ability to pour water on the keyboard and have it still work -- he killed that).

You are looking for a guarantee of perfection and you know that is not going to happen with any electronic device you buy.

sadmac.png 47a-mac-bomb.gif

Lippy, in the couple of years we've owned the iMac, we have had far fewer problems requiring a reboot than with any PC I've ever used. Mr. Fly, a formerly rabid PC guy (even though he is an artist) is now completely sold on Macs. He is very happy using the PC side for his legacy software (like QuickBooks) for which Mac versions suck or are non-existant.

If the system is going to crash and hang anyway...

I've had Macs for 30+ years and have yet to have it crash or hang.

are you serious? you've never seen the sad mac icon?

Never seen it once. Seriously. I've had third-party software issues (Word and Excel, mostly), but I've never seen the Sad Mac!

No, I'm not looking for perfection, just something better. How is Word for the Mac? That is critical for me.

Very nice, and files are completely seamless moving back and forth to PC thus far.

ETA: I haven't tried with Word 2007 for Vista yet - that's the next test.