On a broader front, are there compatibility issues between Microsoft Office documents and programs from Windows and those from the Mac, these days?

It has held me back from any conversion for a long time, but I don't hear the complaints as much lately.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.   Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and instal

Which email program?

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.   as for your mysterious troubles

not that I have found after a year of using a Mac as my work computer, but be aware that almost any third party financial services application that plugs into office (Bloomberg, Factset, CapitalIQ et al.) are basically useless on a Mac.

I actually have to run a virtual Windows machine in my mac for those applications.

I had the previous generation macbook air and was pretty happy with it. the weight difference between it and the larger mac is noticeable if you carry it around a lot. it's really surprising how much the small difference makes over time.

What's the current consensus about the Macbook Air? Useful for business travel? Is the extra money for a 13" Macbook Pro worth it?

They're good laptops in general and great for travel. I'd recommend. After traveling regularly with one, I wouldn't go back to the Pro.

On a broader front, are there compatibility issues between Microsoft Office documents and programs from Windows and those from the Mac, these days?

It has held me back from any conversion for a long time, but I don't hear the complaints as much lately.

I use MS office (mostly Word, sometimes Excel) on my Mac. I've had no problems sending the same docs/spreadsheets back and forth with my work PC.

What's the current consensus about the Macbook Air? Useful for business travel? Is the extra money for a 13" Macbook Pro worth it?

I have the 2013 Macbook Air (the Haswell one). Having the 12+ hours of battery life is fantastic. No Word compatibility issues. and I've discovered that I prefer Lightroom running in OSX. I Bootcamp into Windows 8 for gaming.

there's no reason to purchase the current 13" Retina pro as A. it is about to be replaced with a Haswell version which leads to B. the current one has a weaker graphics card than the Haswell Air...which will be fixed in a couple months....C. battery life is so much shorter. With all that said, you can buy a current 13" Retina Pro for just about the same price as the Air (just don't use the Apple Store). but again, this is wrong time to buy the Pro...with the Haswell ones to be announced in the next month or so.

also, you can find similar 12 hour battery life with the latest Haswell Windows notebooks (and similar thinness and lightness)...be aware that the good ones are not any cheaper than the Air.

should also note that if you haven't booted off an SSD before (OSX or Windows) it will blow your mind how fast that is. and the 2013 Air has an SSD with a PCIe interface...which doubles the read/write speed of prior SSDs with SATA controllers (again, some new expensive Windows notebooks also have PCIe SSDs).

Not that I've seen, but do note that there are functional differences between the Mac and PC versions. Things that I know how to do quite well on the Windows version of Word and PPT took me a while to figure out on the Mac.

• 1 month later...

I created a large iPhoto album on my iPhone. When i connect to iTunes, the album does not sync over and there is no option to click to get it to sync. (At least I don't see it.) I'd like to get the album onto my iTunes and then my iPad. I assume there is something that I'm missing . . . .

I have the 2013 Macbook Air (the Haswell one). Having the 12+ hours of battery life is fantastic. No Word compatibility issues. and I've discovered that I prefer Lightroom running in OSX. I Bootcamp into Windows 8 for gaming.

there's no reason to purchase the current 13" Retina pro as A. it is about to be replaced with a Haswell version which leads to B. the current one has a weaker graphics card than the Haswell Air...which will be fixed in a couple months....C. battery life is so much shorter. With all that said, you can buy a current 13" Retina Pro for just about the same price as the Air (just don't use the Apple Store). but again, this is wrong time to buy the Pro...with the Haswell ones to be announced in the next month or so.

also, you can find similar 12 hour battery life with the latest Haswell Windows notebooks (and similar thinness and lightness)...be aware that the good ones are not any cheaper than the Air.

So has the announcement been made?

Anyone have experience with a Mac OSX server for home or small business?

I see that no one answered this. I don't know if you still have questions, but I've got a small MAC server for our hospital department. It was initially put in place about 15 years ago, and I implemented a complete overhaul and upgrade of the system a couple of years ago. Currently we have 12 users. I may be able to answer some questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Do people use Time Machine to back up their Macs? I'm using time machine to back up to a WD drive. I keep getting odd error messages. It says it needs to run a full new backup.

shapeimage_1.png

I've searched on-line, and apparently it's a new glitch that Apple is not acknowledging. Is there a better alternative to Time Machine?