• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.   Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and instal

Which email program?

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.   as for your mysterious troubles

you could get a PC :)

but yeah, there are numerous other OSX backup utilities...CCC (as mentioned above), Retrospect etc. TM has worked fine for me though.

When did you first get the error message? Did you change anything at all right before you received it? It could conceivably be a problem with your external hard drive too.

I first got the message few months ago. I ran the new backup, which takes forever. It did seem to screw up some stuff, but it wasn't a big deal. I just started getting the messages again.

It could be a hard drive issue. One suggestion on-line was to wipe the external drive and start over, rather than follow the Time Machine process.

I guess there is some utility on the Mac that will check the hard drive?

I first got the message few months ago. I ran the new backup, which takes forever. It did seem to screw up some stuff, but it wasn't a big deal. I just started getting the messages again.

It could be a hard drive issue. One suggestion on-line was to wipe the external drive and start over, rather than follow the Time Machine process.

I guess there is some utility on the Mac that will check the hard drive?

Yes - it's in utilities.

Can you call them back and ask? They wont speak to me unless I pay them. (It's like high school all over again.)

Is it weird that disk utilities doesn't see my networked back-up drive?

Depending on the drive type, Disk Utility might not be able to mount it by design:

The Local and Network Drives mentioned above are essentially "dumb receivers" -- they use theFile System and other features of OSX on your Mac, at the direction of your Mac.

But a NAS drive (Network Attached Storage, also called a network drive) has its own proprietary operating system (it's actually a small special-purpose computer), and is not under the direct control of your Mac.

You can't format or partition it via Disk Utility on your Mac, and you might not be able torepair your backups that way, either. You must use whatever utilities are provided by the maker of the NAS. And, of course, they're different for each maker, and sometimes for different hardware or software from the same maker. That's why there are no setup instructions for them here; those are specific to the NAS.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a new iMac, and the setup transition from the old one to the new one was a breeze, thanks to the Time Machine backups I'd done to an external drive. It automatically set up my WiFi, Internet preferences, printer drivers, etc. And the new machine is so much lighter! That sort of makes up for the fact that I had to buy a new CD/DVD drive.

I'm currently running Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4. I'm debating whether to switch over to Mavericks, the newest OS, right away.

• Like 1

Trying to decide between a Macbook Air and an Macbook Pro. On one hand, the cheap Air is probably all I need for travel, but for a few hundred more, I can have a real computer.

And I don't understand the low-storage SSDs. Even with the Cloud, how can people function with 128 or even 256 gb of storage?

I'm probably about to replace it with an Air, but I've been getting along for years for travel with an early SSD laptop that had a ridiculously low storage capacity -- maybe 32 GB? Cuz what do I need to store when I'm travelling? I work off my firm's system for work stuff; I work off net stuff for my own stuff. (I guess it may be different that I store music on an iPod rather than my computer.)

I can remember having desktops that only had 256 GB.