I actually have two separate uses: 1) We're looking for a low-cost "travel" notebook. 2) I have a notebook that is our main home computer. The travel book really doesn't need much storage. The issue there is, why limit myself to an Air, when for a little more money and 1.5 pounds I can have all the benefits of a full computer? For a home computer, that stores all my music, photos, etc., it seems that 256 gb (even 512 gb) is not nearly enough. I guess I can buy a cheap external drive and store and other stuff on it. But I think that will make life (i.e., iTunes/syncing) unnecessarily complicated. And when I look at the storage allocation on my Macbook, there's about 250 gb of "backups" and "other" -- I don't have any idea what this stuff is and I can't find it. I wouldn't know how to move it off-site.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.   Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and instal

Which email program?

i suggested thunderbird only as a transfer vehicle. it can import outlook mail in windows and since a mac version exists of it the files can be transferred easily.   as for your mysterious troubles

Having looked harder, I think Stone was right in the first place.

That's got to be your first mistake.

On other news: Running Windows 7 on VMFusion. Can't connect to the Internet. Window Network Utility tells me I'm connected. I open a browser (IE, Chrome) it says I'm not connected.

Who says Windows isn't any good? I ran Windows network diagnostics to figure out why I can't connect to the Internet. You know what it told me? I can't connect to the Internet because my Internet connection is broken.

Thanks Bill Gates. That's very helpful.

Maybe if you didn't spend so much time worrying about poor people in Africa your operating system wouldn't suck.

• Like 1

Who says Windows isn't any good? I ran Windows network diagnostics to figure out why I can't connect to the Internet. You know what it told me? I can't connect to the Internet because my Internet connection is broken.

Maybe if you didn't spend so much time worrying about poor people in Africa your operating system wouldn't suck.

his OS sucked long before he even knew there were people in africa

If you asked Bill, he'd say the problem was that you're trying to run Windows on a Mac.

for your uses I don't know what difference you're going to see (other than screen resolution) between an Air and a Retina Pro. Unless you're getting the maxxed out Retina Pro ($2500) you're not going to see any power differences between the two computers (unless you're doing CAD/animation or something you shouldn't be doing on a notebook anyway). and trust me, you'll notice the difference in weight....(the 2013 Air's battery life is insane as well)....the SSD is what makes the real difference in speed for most people and that's the same in both. for your uses you will see no difference between an i5 and an i7...and Bootcamp gaming is actually probably a bit better on the Air (yeah it's only Iris Pro but has fewer pixels to push).

I went the 256 gig Air and then a couple external drives (one for media and one for backup) route and am perfectly happy with that.

for your uses I don't know what difference you're going to see (other than screen resolution) between an Air and a Retina Pro. Unless you're getting the maxxed out Retina Pro ($2500) you're not going to see any power differences between the two computers (unless you're doing CAD/animation or something you shouldn't be doing on a notebook anyway). and trust me, you'll notice the difference in weight....(the 2013 Air's battery life is insane as well)....the SSD is what makes the real difference in speed for most people and that's the same in both. for your uses you will see no difference between an i5 and an i7...and Bootcamp gaming is actually probably a bit better on the Air (yeah it's only Iris Pro but has fewer pixels to push).

I went the 256 gig Air and then a couple external drives (one for media and one for backup) route and am perfectly happy with that.

What's the difference (?) between SSD and flash drive?

As a travel computer, I'd say the Air wins hand down. Like Nathan says, for your use the extra performance won't be used. I have OmniGraffle, PS and Illustrator, some remote connections, 3 browsers, etc all open at the same time all day on the Air and it's hums along. And once you've carried it around for a month you'll never want to go back to a "regular" laptop.

What's the difference (?) between SSD and flash drive?

in practical terms...size (flash memory scales up well to 64 gigs or so (there is very little difference in cost between 16 gigs of flash memory and 64 gigs) and then gets really expensive past 128 gigs...at that point SSDs are much cheaper to manufacture). (there are technical differences but all you really need to know is that both SSDs and flash cards are solid forms of memory without moving parts/spinning disks and are correspondingly lightning fast...the reality is that both OSX and Windows are blazing fast on a computer booting off an SSD)

On a side note, I recently updated my sister's late 2009 MB Pro from 10.6.8 to Mavericks and it's waaaaay faster than it was (and I just went with the upgrade, not a clean install).

I'd recommend updating for anyone who's on the fence.

• 3 months later...

Having looked harder, I think Stone was right in the first place.

Considering the modesty of the price difference, it's hard to pass up the Pro's enhanced performance.

Just to confirm: the current 13" Pro, speced to the max (except storage).

Another great Apple product.

• 6 months later...