197384565_8a5e3d955d.jpg

Well, if Cecilia Chiang thinks so. Who am I to doubt her?

Let me just say I don't know enough about Sichuan Chinese food to be a good judge of that, but I had dinner there recently that was supremely yummy.

We were six, and the dinner was kindly organized by the indomitable Madame Chiang, so we didn't even see the menu.

We had these dishes:

raw abalone, sashimi style

Very tender and delicious. The chef goes diving for Abalone himself every quarter, this was a fruit of his labour.

Bean curd 'noodles' with daopanjiang sauce

The texture of the noodle might be a little bit of an acquired taste, but I thought them delicious. The sauce is flavorful and deceptively spicy -you only realize it when it's a little too late.

Pork kidney in green onion sauce

Again perhaps a little bit of an acquired taste, but the kidney was beautifully done, without the usual stink accompanying the badly prepared stuff.

Pork cartillage in spicy sauce with peanuts

Thinly sliced pieces of pork with tender meat and toothsome catillage. Crazy good.

Black bass in spicy garlic sauce

Very fresh fish that were killed just before cooking. Addictive sauce. This was great with some rice. I couldn't stop eating it.

Frog in pepper and chinese celery sauce

Less spicy than the other dishes, but no less yum. The frog bits came à la Chinois -that is to say with mini bones- which could be hazardous to your heath. Proceed with caution.

Twice-cooked pork with leeks

This is a classic if perhaps not so well-known Sichuan dish and was well done here.

Rabbit in dry back bean sauce with peanuts

This was also very very good. I was so full by now but I still couldn't stop.

Then came a dessert, fried dumplings stuffed with sweet red bean paste. A little too doughly for me but good nonetheless.

I didn't see the menu at all, so I use a description rather than the name of a dish, but it should be easy enough for you to guess and to order at the restaurant.

All photos on my Flickr.

South Legend Sichuan Restaurant

Address: 1720 N. Milpitas Blvd., Milpitas.

Phone: 408.934.3970.

Hours: 11am-2:30pm and 5:30-9:30pm Mon-Fri, 11am-9:30pm Sat-Sun.

Pork kidney in green onion sauce

Again perhaps a little bit of an acquired taste, but the kidney was beautifully done, without the usual stink accompanying the badly prepared stuff.

was this spicy? pork kidneys have been too strong the past times I tried them, but I imagine a spicy sauce that is also pungent would work well.

was this spicy? pork kidneys have been too strong the past times I tried them, but I imagine a spicy sauce that is also pungent would work well.

Are you talking about "a fine tang of faintly scented urine?" Try using relish, like Leopold Bloom:

Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liver slices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencod's roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine