• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is she really anything more than a stripper with a good producer?

Stripping and belly dancing are two different things. Not that there's anything wrong with either of them.

Seriously though, she has produced some of her material, but recently her producer has been Emilio Estefan, Jr. BTW, does Madonna play guitar and harmonica?

Is she really anything more than a stripper with a good producer?

That's so unfair, not least because she is infuriatingly stubborn about taking her clothes off.

She writes her own songs and has been doing so for years. She is long-established in the Hispanic community as a musician and songwriter. Just because she's hot doesn't mean she isn't a creative artist.

...recently her producer has been Emilio Estefan, Jr. BTW, does Madonna play guitar and harmonica?

Interestingly, Gloria Estefan translates Shakira's songs into English. Some of them, anyway, I haven't researched thoroughly.

On the belly-dancing, it's worth knowing that her parents are Lebanese. Not to characterize all Lebanese people as belly-dancers, of course.

Actually, I'm not sure. Wiki to the rescue:

Shakira was born in Barranquilla, Colombia to a Colombian mother Nidia del Carmen Ripoll Torrado of Spanish descent and an American-born father William Mebarak Chadid of Christian Phoenician Lebanese descent.

"Phoenician" Lebanese descent? I wonder who wrote that entry. :P

(cross posted again.)

Both Madonna and Shakira are very talented. I've never bought a record by either artist, but I'm not ashamed to say I like some of their stuff. I like that recent Shakira single with Wyclef Jean.

Actually, Madonna's first record should have been a strong candidate for that best 100 Debuts list we were talking about the other day.....

I'm serious.

I think Shakira has a better voice and the potential to grow. Madonna's voice sounds very adolescent and almost the same as it did on her first album. The music has changed and occasionally it's more sophisticated but it's like a fashion. Her voice is still pretty undeveloped. It's probably all bull but it strikes me that Shakira is very interested in music, Madonna mostly celebrity with some good recordings made along the way.

Edited to add: I'm a fabulous belly dancer but my hips lie a lot.