• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In L.A. tune into 107.5 to hear her singing in Spanish.

She's foolproof at kicking out punchy choruses in English, but she is better in Spanish, particularly on Donde Estan Los Ladrones? She should cover some Chryssie stuff like "Kid" or "Stop Your Sobbing."

Guest Aaron T

A couple of weeks ago a Belgian colleague of mine came into our office humming "Hips Don't Lie" and at the point where the song goes "Shakira, Shakira" he was saying "Tequila, Tequila!" :P

I'm kinda one of those political-folkie music that doesn't translate well fans (quote from way upthread), plus I'm kinda one of those oldsters, and I LOVE Shakira. The first time I heard her voice, I thought who in the world is that, and where can I hear more of it?

She's playing in GDL and in Mexico City in a few weeks; tickets sold out the minute they were put on sale. Unfortunately, I didn't snag one. Rats.

She's foolproof at kicking out punchy choruses in English, but she is better in Spanish, particularly on Donde Estan Los Ladrones? She should cover some Chryssie stuff like "Kid" or "Stop Your Sobbing."

MTV unplugged

MTV unplugged

Hey thanks! Actually as well as that song I was referring to the entire disc of the same title.

"Shakira, the half-Lebanese singer and writher from Colombia..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/arts/mus...Su3XyI2NMryXMmQ

:P

She led a sing-along during "Underneath It All," a lovely ballad that sounded just as lovely in 1988, when the Bangles called it "Eternal Flame."

It's not clear if the writer is referring to a cover of No Doubt's "Underneath It All" or Shakira's own "Underneath Your Clothes." I'm guessing the latter. Underneath it all, it seems proofing at the Times isn't what it used to be.

I'm guessing the latter. Underneath it all, it seems proofing at the Times isn't what it used to be.

I was kind of tickled by 'singer and writher'. At first glance I thought it said 'writer', then thought it was a typo, then giggled.