Sign in to follow this  
Abbylovi

Tomato Season!

Tomato sandwiches for breakfast: lightly toasted pita folded around sliced heirlooms, a little mozzarella, sea salt and basil. Yum.

Yahh! It's even tomato season in the Chilcotin, last year was pretty mucha bust due to the placement of my cold frame and shitty weather. This year they are thriving and I have been eating cherry tomatoes for a week now. :P

Last night in a fit of insantity, I decided to make "preserved tomatoes."

I blame Martha Stewart.

I've been getting home on the late side this week so I've been cobbling together quick and easy dinners with these preserved tomatoes, goat cheese and Morning Star black bean veggie burgers :P. My sister turned me on to the veggie burgers and they're actually really, really good and perfect when just want to eat and don't have time to do something elaborate. The fact that I can pop them in the microwave (no oven in this heat!) is a major plus too. Oh right, this thread isn't about justifying my veggie burger habit. I really like how the preserved tomatoes turned out because they still retain the tomato taste with shots of thyme and garlic. Plus with my humongous thyme plant, I love any recipe that calls for a 1/4 cup of thyme.

tomatoes don't need to be blanched for 2 minutes to loosen the skins. a brief dip in boiling water followed by a cold water spray will all but knock them off every time.

I saw that recipe and thought that the tomatoes would be very mushy and watery after a 2 min blanch...but if you say so- Also in the picture it shows then with the skin on. Weird

I should have added that I didn't use plum tomatoes. Also, even weirder still is that in the recipe it doesn't say to take off the skins. Martha is not perfect!

Fresh thyme sounds so good.

I haven't felt like cooking tomatos. This week I've been eating wheat bread with a smear of black pepper goat cheese then topped with small green zebras and yellow peach tomatos.

tomatoes don't need to be blanched for 2 minutes to loosen the skins. a brief dip in boiling water followed by a cold water spray will all but knock them off every time.

If the tomatoes are really fully ripe, they don't even need that. Just run the flat of a butter knife all over the surface, pressing just a little and the skin will peel off easily.

If the tomatoes are really fully ripe, they don't even need that. Just run the flat of a butter knife all over the surface, pressing just a little and the skin will peel off easily.

:huh: I've lost count of how many times/places I've posted this. A really wonderful truc, courtesy of Lulu Peyraud.

Our tomatoes are hitting their stride - tonight cherry tomatoes that didn't make it inside the house, a la GG Mora, and more tomatoes atop our salad (take THAT, Nigella!) Tomorrow we are making India relish with a bunch we bought at a farmer's market today; our tomatoes are too precious for such a treatment. Tomorrow I am making gazpacho with ours.

Fly