what is india relish?
Oh, one of those melanges of ingredients that English folks casually identified with Indian chutneys and therefore misnamed. Nothing particularly Indian about it, actually, it's a red tomato relish recipe with onions and celery from the Ball Blue Book.
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With so many tomato-crazies on this site, how do we not have a tomato season thread?   Last night in a fit of insantity, I decided to make "preserved tomatoes."   I blame Martha Stewart.   L

I'm so sorry. I was trying to make Dr. Jones cry.   I drove a 6-ft stake next to each plant, and I've been loosely tying the main stem every foot or so as they grow. The real beauty of the system is

Picked 9 full size, ripe tomatoes last nite...Early Girls, Better Boys, and 4 Black Princes! And the first Purple Cherokee!

Plus, the requisite handfuls of Sungolds, which just keep getting sweeter and sweeter...

But some of my plants appear to have early blight!!!!Help, what do I do? Sprayed with Safer Fungicide, but I may need more...

what does early blight look like?

i am glad to report that my yellow pears have begun to deliver. the sugar snacks keep coming as well. and the champion plant of blossom-end rot fame, has begun to deliver healthy fruit--they're staying very small though. still waiting on three plants to give me any fruit at all.

what does early blight look like?

i am glad to report that my yellow pears have begun to deliver. the sugar snacks keep coming as well. and the champion plant of blossom-end rot fame, has begun to deliver healthy fruit--they're staying very small though. still waiting on three plants to give me any fruit at all.

From what I can tell via my web research, the yellowing lower leaves, and leaves with brown spots surrounded by yellow areas are it....Help! :huh:

The wise woman, tomato category, tells me not to water the tomatoes so much now. They love it early on, but now in peak season, they're better with less, and less water leads to less browning. Seems counter-intuitive, I know but it has resulted in a better yield so far round these parts.

The wise woman, tomato category, tells me not to water the tomatoes so much now. They love it early on, but now in peak season, they're better with less, and less water leads to less browning. Seems counter-intuitive, I know but it has resulted in a better yield so far round these parts.

The less you water, the deeper the roots, and the more condensed the flavor. I do know people who are not fond of dry-farmed Early Girls, claiming their skin to be too thick to enjoy, but that is not my experience.

We are soon going to be experiencing a variety of tomatoes, and I'm stoked. Still, it's early enough that I seek no other use for a tomato than to slice them for sandwiches. I do love tomatoes in sandwiches.

Made our first garden gazpacho soup last night. Just as good as I remember, even though we had to buy the sweet peppers and cucumbers for it this year (darn squirrels!).

I love tomato season - and there is more to come!

Fly

• 11 months later...
or.....steamed sweet corn and tomato salad with a little red onion and some fresh herbs, s&p, balsamic and evoo. Sheer bliss.

I've been eating cut up tomatoes with cut up cucumbers, red onion or scallion, with fresh herbs, s&p, balsamic, and evoo every day for breakfast for a week. Sometimes with some feta cut up in addition. A piece of crusty bread with butter and I'm in heaven.