Chambolle's Content

There have been 392 items by Chambolle (Search limited from 03-April 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1453168 Micromanage my Life - Japan

Posted by Chambolle on 30 March 2020 - 12:42 PM in Asia

What would YOU have done with these little guys ?

And are they indeed the "real McCoy", that is the "Jewel of Toyama Bay" aka shiroebi ... I think so, but I'm gullible and I want to believe ... and it's still March so I'm a bit confused ...

mVplpuP.jpg

#1453112 Micromanage my Life - Japan

Posted by Chambolle on 29 March 2020 - 04:39 AM in Asia

Re: sembei (as pictured elsewhere), my favorite is kuromame sembei, particularly the one made by Akebono (they have a store in Ginza, and probably at a number of depachika).

https://gurunavi.com...QhCN5tmIm_LyOx1

Pras, you know I have VERY good reason to be VERY upset at you ... but I'm not really the type to hold a grudge ... especially when you were doing your utmost to help a poor, lost soul like sweet, little Chambo

Please note that Akebono does NOT seem to make kuromame senbei anymore ... or at least that's what I believe I was being told ... at a minimum, the Ginza store surely did not have them. I asked (or at least I tried to ask, many times and many different ways) if they were just out of stock or it was a seasonal thing or whatever, but I was being told that they simply don't make them anymore. It sounds strange to me, but whatever

Being one who prefers to turn lemons into lemonade and not wanting my Akebono adventure to result in a big goose egg, I opted to get some of their other snacks for serious reading ... nevertheless I was now even more desperately seeking senbei a la kuromame ...

JqQBbGx.jpg

Oh man, do those little squid suckers (bottom row middle) look good or what ! 

So where would the best place to look for the mentaiko senbei? Which region is it popular in, so I can look for an antenna store when I go back to Tokyo in a few weeks.

Fukuoka?

According to this https://fukutarousa.com/ you may be able to find it in the US soon.

They don't have branches in Kanto.

Pras, you are oh so CORRECT ! and they are called menbei ... at least by people in the know, like Chambo

I made a trip to Fukuoka for the sole and express reason* of seeing whether you were right or not on this one (cause I was slightly losing faith in you, given the "Akebono Incident") and you came through like a total champ, Pras !  and as you can see, I have made some progress on the kuromame senbei situation

* and I also wanted to do Ev a solid

7fxVvSd.jpg

Open and ye shall find ... a bunch of packets ... each containing 2 menbei ... the Japanese sure love to package things, don't they ?

VOGyZIU.jpg

#1453098 Supper

Posted by Chambolle on 29 March 2020 - 02:59 AM in In the kitchen

Italy Solidarity Supper

wkpTjIE.jpg

UKX0VAY.jpg

6d9iY4B.jpg

And a dorayaki for dessert, deservedly ... cuz supper without a little sweetness is not a supper worth supping ...

Tis true for life too !

Anyone like my literary placemats ?

0yYabJa.jpg

#1451921 Micromanage my Life - Japan

Posted by Chambolle on 08 March 2020 - 03:44 AM in Asia

Any recs for Hiroshima

Looking for a casual meal for Sunday and I could be convinced to do fine dining on Monday if anything is worthy

Last night when back at Gem by Moto (Tokyo) after having a couple of glasses of wine at a very calm Winestand Waltz after having done a flyby of Ode and passing the tiny but packed Ta-im Israeli joint after having bought some Ethiopian coffee beans at Fresco coffee roasters in out there Asagaya after enjoying a double shot cappuccino there after having munched on a Taiyaki while strolling the long, covered-passageway Asagaya market after doing a flyby of Nanba's less chic sushi spot after having meandered thru the East Gardens of the Imperial Palace again, I sat next to this very with it Japanese gentleman who lives in the hood and Gem seems to be his local. We chat baseball, he's moaning that the Japanese aren't real fans like the Americans cuz they don't like to discuss RBIs, I tell him that yeah RBIs are a bit meaningful but boasting about batting average and HRs are good enough, he mentions his son goes to Berkeley School of Music, I follow that BSofM is a great school and note that I used to live in Back Bay way back and ask him if he likes the Green Monster, and he does, big time and now he's getting excited and we're bonding, NY comes up, he's heading to the Golf Masters Tournament next month flying via NYC but he said New York just said Japanese must quarantine for 14 days (is that true ? I told him that I didn't see that and it's surely not US national policy ... at least at the moment) blah blah blah blah blah

TL;DR I ask him for a Hiroshima resto rec and he mentioned the casual Suishin, which has the advantage of being open on Sunday but that's the only advantage that I'm aware of. He said to consider oysters in Hiroshima but they like to cook their oysters so focus on dishes like cooked oyster with rice, for example. Well, that's a start at least ...

Re the high end, two of Bobby Brown's fave 2014 meals were 3* Nakashima and 2* Tempura Tenko Honten (but now it seems to be a 1* hence not a great sign)

Any Hiroshima thoughts ?

And here's a LONG shot, I got 8 minutes in Kobe, starting at the train track. Any good ideas ? I'm hungry and I need feedback within the next half hour ...

#1451721 So, where are *you* going next?

Posted by Chambolle on 05 March 2020 - 02:59 AM in Travel

So....is anyone going anywhere anymore?

I am hopeful but not too optimistic my employer/government will allow spring break to occur.

Put summer booking plans (Copenhagen and Oslo) on hold for now.

COME ON, Tubbs ! 

Geesh ... I'm disappointed in you ... a great man like yourself shouldn't be paralyzed with fear like a deer in the headlights ... you know what happens to dem deer ?

Yep, roadkill

We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men – not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate, and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular, and surely not from men who feared to travel !

What is this thing going to do ... kill ya ?

Highly unlikely ... that said, those Northern Italians are dropping like flies !

Come on, Tubbs, man up ! This is just nature's way of weeding out the weak ... live you life and let the chips fall where they may ... follow my lead, Tubbs ...

And remember ... when the going gets tough, Chambo ... ahem ... heroically heads to the hot zone !

Alrightie ... enough of that ... heading out to Ueno Park now ... to see if any blossoms have blossomed yet ... you never know unless you go 

#1449620 Driving in Istria, Slovenia, and Friuli Venezia

Posted by Chambolle on 04 January 2020 - 01:31 PM in Italy and Elsewhere in Europe

LOVE the Osteria (La Subida) ... my 4th time ... I’ll return

#1449619 Flooding in Venice

Posted by Chambolle on 04 January 2020 - 01:30 PM in Italy and Elsewhere in Europe

Still fine ... as of last night ... but who knows now ... I’m long done

Everyone knows the major sites ... which are awesome and awe-inspiring (this is an F-ING swamp people ! Imagine pounding a million pilings to keep a church afloat) ... but there’s just so much more ... I come to this ultra-touristy place each year for the New Yesr to recharge and reset my batteries and my ⏰ ... oxymoronic ? moronic ? ironic ? iconic ?

You decide

And you eat well (enough) if you know what you’re doing

And if you leave the lugubrious lagoon behind what awaits you in front of you can be awesome eats ... awesome ^ Max !

#1449543 Driving in Istria, Slovenia, and Friuli Venezia

Posted by Chambolle on 02 January 2020 - 09:42 PM in Italy and Elsewhere in Europe

Off Topic ...

Glory goes to the virtuous … patience is a virtue … I’ll spare you the gory details but do note the following …

My PECA and not your PECA was all over la CARTA de LA PECA oggi … and that’s a good thing

A glorious thing ?   …    Pffft !   …

Who am I to decide what is glory and what is not … but it was a very good thing … and it's in the middle of F-ing nowhere

#1449542 Driving in Istria, Slovenia, and Friuli Venezia

Posted by Chambolle on 02 January 2020 - 09:39 PM in Italy and Elsewhere in Europe

Decided to go back to La Subida ... no wifi notwithstanding (what's wrong with these people ???) ... but only for 2 days due to such treachery

Will eat at the Trattoria at La Subida ... which is a 1* Mich of course ... don't let that name fool you ... and it probably has the best wine list in the world for these unusual wines with a somm (the son) who knows them (and the winemakers) inside and out

Tastings with Sasa @ Radikon and La Castellada ... may try to return to Princic ... on verra ...

@Bonner - You know you want to eat at Agli Amici in Udine and not Argine, right ? 

I"m happy to say that I'm off to Gostilna Pri Lojzetu in Slovenia where I have yet to eat ... and then I'll swing by Vodopivec to snag some Vitovska (the best V in the world, by the way) when returning ... may even re-swing by Caffe Vatta for, yes, a coffee and they have very fair prices for Gravner* too ... then again I saw Gravner Ribolla G for 59e in Padua ... which is more than fair

* Fuck Gravner ! "We're closed for the Holidays" ... "I understand ... but I'm asking about a date well past January 1 ... like the following week ... is that possible ? are you guys around ? I don't get to this neck of the woods very often ..." ... "We closed for the Holidays" ... Fuck Gravner !!!

#1449539 Flooding in Venice

Posted by Chambolle on 02 January 2020 - 09:15 PM in Italy and Elsewhere in Europe

The place is fine

#1448330 Crown Shy

Posted by Chambolle on 30 November 2019 - 01:32 PM in New York

Post-Thanksgiving, Chambo's Shaping the Battlefield

Twas Black Friday ... Black Hawk Down, maybe so ... but Black Swan Chambo is up ... 

But up to what exactly ?

That's the key question ... up to no good ? up to his eyes in alligators ? up to his eyes in a bathtub filled with an overflowing river of champagne and drinking non-stop just to avoid drowning

Or is he still drunk and beyond help ... beyond your imagination ... beyond Beyonce ... for it is there that lies Chambo's champagne-filled flights of fantasy ... to attempt understand any of this, try this ...

I’ll note for the record that I like good champagne very much. I love white wines and drink them all the time. You couldn’t imagine how much champagne I drink. I live in Paris, ya know. You go to anyone’s house and you’re bringing bubbles and you’re bubbling the host’s bubbles the moment you step inside. Thats my experience, at least. So yes, three cheers for champagne prices but can you see that maybe Chambo doesn’t need to popping champagne in the financial district unless he’s closing a major deal

Enter the mind of madman ... as he imagines his feelings to be those of a woman ... a woman in love with Champagne ... and now play the video and listen carefully ... because in Paris, as I've told you, all we ever do is drink champagne ...

... but is there more to it ... is the woman in the tub or on the tube ... is Chambo bored with surfing or bored with board games ... or is he playing games ... could he possibly be off-point :huh: ... at this point no one really knows for sure ... as it's all still one big blur ...

Make Love not War ! and don't make shit up !

#1448329 Supper

Posted by Chambolle on 30 November 2019 - 09:59 AM in In the kitchen

When planning a revolution and toppling an impostor, it is essential to know thyself and to know the opposition ... that is the basics of Master Sun's The Art of War ... but there is much more in store in order to succeed as any true warrior knows

Victory goes to the prepared ... and preparation must start well in advance ... months, if not (light)years, in advance and far away ... and they always do chez Chambo !

It's called Shaping the Battlefield and it must start from the get go ... if done correctly and with wisdom the war is won before it is even started ... pay close attention ... for that's what Chambo's doing here in order to undertake the revolution foretold in the final words of this significant post

I'll also note that in order to topple an established order, it is best to be a God (just ask Zeus) or to have the right Gods on your side (consider the Trojan War) ... in fact, having / being both is best and as fate shall have it, Chambo is so blessed

We take you back to Tokyo ... the evening of October 4 to be exact ... too late for a real meal ... but had already eaten and drank a bunch of nibbles and liquids ... hence something simple, quick yet good was in order ... those paying close attention shall note one friendly hurdle that Chambo cannot seem to overcome with a great foreign Goddess ... that is, improving her English ... after years and years of trying and discussing and giving examples and examples and elaborating on the exceptions etc, Chambo now simply gives Goddess the good words and goes forward into the night ... 

And when I told you previously that the powerful Princess-Tigress-Goddess's Gresca dinner was semi-disastrous because she is so adventurous when eating and she'll snarf down just about anything, I bet some of you were skeptical ... to the skeptics, pay close atttention !

Finally I shall also note that what was communicated to me as pork tongue was pork but not tongue ...

scUUwCr.jpg

BZIXj6J.png

RnCXY0C.png

Sv3bVwT.jpg

H0ewAnk.png

ZXBgGaI.jpg

isJl7i8.png

bEpTC0Q.png

iwfRkZU.png

9xXtdrB.png

#1448303 Crown Shy

Posted by Chambolle on 29 November 2019 - 08:21 PM in New York

During the holiday season there’s always something unexpected, if not highly SHOCKING, that occurs … at least that’s my experience

And it proved to be the case once again this Thanksgiving as I came to the sad realization that ...

I had … fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gentle people … made an ERROR !

Yep it happens … it’s extremely rare .. but it happens

These are called Black Swan events for those versed in such matters

HOWEVER, unlike so many others here, I admit my errors when they come to my attention … and I attempt to correct them …. and, if and when necessary, I apologize

Hence …

@Seth - I want to apologize for being wrong re prices during our discussion about your beloved Beaux Sens champagne

I’m sorry as I should have had my facts in order but I didn’t

I could make excuses … things like ... I was traveling at the time … or running on very little sleep … blah blah blah … but excuses are for losers ... and those are NOT remotely acceptable excuses in my book nor in my mind

So once again, I am very sorry for being wrong and using inappropriate words during our prior discussion … and being a bit harsh with you

I’ll also note that I have been drinking A LOT recently … non-stop champagne since yesterday … continuing thru to this very minute (Drappier Brut Nature at this exact second, to be exact, but it changes every handful of minutes or so) … had to even go and buy a quick re-stock this afternoon in prep for placing a MAJOR order … anyway before I start rambling incoherently I'm going to end it here as I have to stumble out into the wilderness now and head to dinner somewhere where festivities will sadly, undoubtedly continue and continue and continue… but please do accept my apologies !

And Happy Thanksgiving to all !

I’ll try to explain the errors of my way when I sober up … but here’s the context for you until then … and thanks for giving me a chance to make amends ... I think I'll feel better about myself after doing so ...

... there were a few identical bottles on both CS and Atomix's lists. I only looked at the bubblies - but out of curiosity I made a little chart of the overlap.

Numbers, in order - Atomix price, Crown Shy price, lowest NYC retail price I could find, and the Crown Shy markup.

zs1ZI3X.jpg

(pasted as a jpg because I couldn't figure out how to make tables in this box)

Anyway... granted that's just smidge of the overall selections, but Champers is traditionally the MOST inflated part of any wine menu. Atomix's prices are fairly normal by NYC standards. Most are hovering around 2X retail, a couple even fall short of that. Crown Shy... I mean, the highest (in this admittedly slim subset) is 1.5X retail. That's practically unheard of in NYC.

And look at me here ... I'm such a son of a bitch ... 

Sorry, Seth, we haven’t formally met, I’m Chambolle (but my friends call me Chambo and you can too*). I’m a total son of a bitch who likes to stay totally on-point and I’m highly fact-based. If you can deal with that, I think you may like me. If not, you’re going to really hate me. By the way, I take strong issue with your cherry-picking a super high retail price for Beaux Sens ... because you’re not showing bon sens ... since a fair price is a little more than HALF your retail price

Everything is relative. What you personally would consider a fair price is a bit irrelevant to what the actual lowest retail price in NYC is, unless you open a wine shop here and sell bottles of 2013 Beaux Sens for $68. In which case I would happily pop in, say hi, and purchase a case. And while it isn't by any means exhaustive, the stubborn fact is the cheapest bottle of 2013 Beaux Sens that wine-searcher.com found - not just within NYC but within 200 miles of Crown Shy - was $137.

And then when tuning in from Tokyo, I was totally lit up when writing this post as I was recalling an extremely eventful day in my life and at the bottom of that post when I addressed you as shown below I probably could have chosen my words better if I knew then what I know now ... so once again, I apologize !

And Seth, don't think for a second I agree with anything you wrote in the first paragraph here other than "it isn't by any means exhaustive" because as Tubbs immediately shows it sure wasn't, was it ? And now your trial balloon is rapidly losing altitude and I don't have enough time to keep correcting incorrect facts. Champagne is easily shippable and it's not at all expensive to do so, most especially if you're in the case-buying business as you profess to be. It is not unreasonable (in fact, it's reasonable) to think about many / most champagnes as almost a global commodity. I sent this list to multiple knowledgeable people in different countries and they are all on-board with Chambo.

And mark my words ... even though I'm surrounded by the Japanese right now ... I shall return ! I shall and the Crown shall fall, inshallah ! ... and the concept of fairness will be restored throughout the world ... because there are those among us who have lost any and all conception of what is fair and toss out that word SO easily and refuse to (actually, can't) back it up at all ...

#1448149 So, where are *you* going next?

Posted by Chambolle on 22 November 2019 - 07:51 PM in Travel

Milan, Piedmont, Turin ... and boom ! I've blown 2 weeks so, now being short on time with only one week left, I gotta rush east to feast near Padua, otherwise Max will be bumming, and after that I'm juggling multiple reservations cuz I have reservations about Venice where I go every year anyway (for the New Year and much more) ... spoke to La Subida and can redirect there for a bunch cuz they are indeed open as is Radikon and Sasha is happy to see sweet little Chambo again but Gravner is growling about their vacation time and those daughters don't want to be doing Chambo a solid, witches ! Dario is cool to see Chambo again and an interpreter will be required again etc etc ... but the Subida houses are still without wifi (WTF !) and cell service is stupendously spotty to the point that you can't rely on it ... and even though she said that she'd give me the best located option for cellular data, I'm not convinced ... so I'm scratching my head about what to do ... but I don't have time to research anything cuz I'm too busy posting here and running a global empire*  ... hmmm ... decisions decisions ... made the difficult decision to skip Florence this year for the first time in many, many years (I usually arrive Florence perfectly timed to do some scouting and then hit the winter sales on the exact day that they start ... I have all this stuff down to a science) ... but I do love love love being in Italy over these Xmas NYE holidays cuz it's so festive and fun and hence I do some version of this trip every year, always including Piedmont cuz life's not worth living without a major winter white truffle mid-December blizzard (which is a bit late but still fine if you go to fine places) ... well I don't do this EVERY year ... that's an exaggeration ... but every year for the last 7 years, yes

* FYI the Asian work trip was a WILD success ... bot manufacturing is now up and running ! ... the Kimchi Princess, who's quite the Asian tiger, convinced me to skip China and setup operations in Seoul ... so I did ... and it's proceeding better than I could have ever imagined ... all the stars are aligning and everything is falling into place such that I've decided that I've earned the right to celebrate a bit and sneak in a little vacation because 2020 is going to be a blockbuster success story ... stay tuned ... Chambo is on the verge of total Universal domination and I think it's now unstoppable ... but it's going to take time ... I'm feeling good

Bogota this weekend and Cape Town in January.

Oh look above, there's my good friend mitchells ... or at least he was, until he started slandering me and my champagne en Chine, the bastard ! Remember The Bastard, mitchells ?

You need to learn how to live a little cuz your comment demonstrates a lack of knowledge in that important department ... as we shall see at some point in the future ... at a time and place of my choosing ... game on ! and don't forget that you started this war ! As always, it's never Chambo that starts any of this stuff ... for Chambo received a blistering, sarcastic assault on his good taste ... you should have made love to me mitchells when you had the chance ... it's too late now !

I have made it abundantly clear in the past to you that you know nothing about my lifestyle choices !

To wit ...

Yes, made a pit stop in Castelnau Le Lez. Thought it would be nice to hang poolside on a vineyard for a day and drink Rose from the vines a few meters from the pool. I could definitely get into the Chambo lifestyle.

mitchells, please be careful talking about things of which you know virtually nothing ... ie The Chambo Lifestyle.

I'll have you know that that September ie in 2016 I was there, mitchells and I didn't like the place AT ALL.

Total nouveau riche !

Way too much money with too little taste was poured into the place.

Met a good buddy there ... he's a NYC Greenpoint-loft-based artist friend (he's been in GP since before it was trendy and his big canvas totally out there mostly abstract w some tiny human-ish figure-oids interspersed among the colors seems like a good Green fit) ... who has a place outside Montpelier up in the hills where doth grow the vines ... and he looked at me funny upon arrival at the Castel and said "You really wanted to come here :unsure: ?" and I grimaced :( and said "Sorry, man, was given bad info. I'll take care of the 50 euro Pibarnon rosé and we'll make the best of it and then blow out of here ... and so we sat, we chat, we drink and we keep on moving ... and went to where I really wanted to go which was the brand newly opened Terminal#1 pop-up from the bros, where I was invited and we had a great time hanging outside, tucking into tons of tapas and drowning our blues in some reds and whites ... and that was our night, mitchells

#1448021 Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

Posted by Chambolle on 18 November 2019 - 08:22 AM in General food and drink discussion

I don't think they wrote that.

The question of who wrote that email was posed to the twin's mother after I responded to it

I was told that A wrote it in the presence of E. I further inquired if A had any help from anyone other than her sister and I received a one word WhAp reply of  ... Nope

Quickly followed by "I might have given her a general idea for a script" ... but I do believe that those little whippersnappers wrote those words cuz they are pretty seriously on the ball and shockingly sharp ... but then again I have no idea what 13yos are or are not capable of cuz I'm not around them much at all ... sadly

just mail them a signed blank check

In fact, the subject of payment has come up in ensuing telephonic interactions where the little pipsqueaks who rejected a credit card payment proposal from yours truly. They then requested funds by PayPal or Venmo and further asked me if I have an account with a major US bank because, if so, then I might even be able to use something called Zelle !   

HUH  :blink: WTF !  I'm now wondering if they might already be working part time for Goldman or Marcus or who knows who ...

I'd pretend it went to my spam folder

That might have been an option earlier (considering that my hotmail / outlook junk folder has gone completely BERSERK* in the last few months) but as I said I have already responded

So I'm still patiently waiting and interested in how folks might have actually responded to such a raffle request ...

* Since September, something dramatically changed in the Microsoft vs The Spammers behind-the-scenes war and the The Spammers are winning BIG TIME !

Folks may not realize this but the major email services block TRILLIONS, yes TRILLIONS, of emails from ever reaching your JUNK folder. I used to get about 20-30 JUNK msgs per day and that's totally manageable. Now I'm getting about half that PER HOUR !!! My JUNK folder has 1000s upon 1000s of unambiguously, total spam crap that keeps on repeating and repeating the same obviously spam messages that should never be presented to an end user. It's totally out of control and I refuse to deal with my JUNK folder anymore ... which is a problem because they are probably 5-10 semi-important emails within that haystack of JUNK

I presume other hotmail users are experiencing this ?

And separately, the new version of iOS's mail client is totally screwed up too ... where you need to delete a msg TWICE before it is actually deleted ... and you may read a msg but iOS doesn't consider it as read so it remains as a new email msg that still must be dealt with so you need to re-view it a 2nd time and hope that works ... it's a fricking nightmare ... have others noticed this ? 

#1448020 Foxface

Posted by Chambolle on 18 November 2019 - 07:46 AM in New York

I remember when you couldn’t buy cheese in New York. Not like cheese cheese.

What does this mean exactly ? When was this ?

@chambo Hyperbole in the service of humor.

As usual, there is a lack of clarity here

Anything "in the service of humor" is acceptable and always encouraged ... but what "hyperbole" is referring to here is totally unclear

So I repeat, as per above, to relay to me what you are remembering above, whether hyperbolic or not ? When was this ? What does "Not like cheese cheese" mean to you ? because it can mean many things to me

Do you not understand that I have a journalistic duty to request comment before I go to press ?

It's been long written, editors have approved it and it's ready to publish for all the world to see ... the clocking is now ticking

We have a modest amount of patience ... but not an overabundance ...

#1447998 Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

Posted by Chambolle on 17 November 2019 - 07:02 PM in General food and drink discussion

Give them all your pennies.

That would be awful generous indeed ... but not such a good idea ... just think about the shipping costs !

And I could save a few bucks by giving them the keys to a couple billion in bitcoin ... it's a real option but I'm not sure it's the wise one ... because it may take away some of their motivation to follow their hearts and passions and excel in life ... so I'm hesitant

#1447996 Foxface

Posted by Chambolle on 17 November 2019 - 06:35 PM in New York

I was staring into my crystal ball today ... and I had unbearable visions of the future

palantir.jpg

I was eye-to-eye with the Fox's Face ... I saw the hair on the hare and it was as white as a wizard's ghost ...

crystal_ball.jpg

And I saw what was next on the menu ... as I peered through the glass

I'm not going to pander to you because it was as clear as a cookie in black and white

It was Panda ... and the bare truth of a bear trapped was unbearable to bare

4qxqShM.jpg

And I could hear the panda moanin' "um" "yum" "numb" "skull"

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman

I remember when you couldn’t buy cheese in New York. Not like cheese cheese.

What does this mean exactly ? When was this ?

#1447995 Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

Posted by Chambolle on 17 November 2019 - 06:33 PM in General food and drink discussion

So my Seattle-based sister's 13-year-old twin nieces, who are rabid soccer players and fans as you well know, have email accounts and totally out of the blue, without having communicated with them in months, I just received my first ever email from them

How wonderful !

What do they have to share with me about their lives ? Can they even write right ?

So many questions ... so little time ... so excited was I ... that I clicked immediately

I am going to show you their email and I'm curious how you might have responded to this ... note that I have already responded but I'm just curious to solicit the opinion of others to see what you might have done ... and to see if my response is pretty much your response

So how would you respond to such an email with the subject being "Raffle Tickets" ...

Hello Favorite Uncle,

How are you? As you know, E and I play soccer for the best soccer club in Washington, Pacific Northwest Soccer Club (PAC). We are extremely enjoying it and are gaining so much knowledge. PAC is doing a raffle to raise money for new equipment and club scholarships. Because we are players, we must sell tickets to raise money. If you win, you will receive a 2020 Subaru Outback. The tickets are $20 and we would really appreciate it if our Favorite Uncle would help. Oh, and by the way, Aunt K has purchased five. Are you really going to let her contribute more than you? She also said that if she won the car, she would give it to us. Please let us know.

Thanks again,
A and E

#1447905 Shanghainese Food

Posted by Chambolle on 14 November 2019 - 11:37 PM in Asia

Details to follow to make full sense of the above ... but in the interim ... trust me, Daniel ... this is serious business ...

Here's the details, Daniel !

I'm a man of my word ...

j27wGxV.png

===
===

AzKF5xM.jpg

===
===

qN5VFxe.jpg

===
===

9EWMsZz.png

===
===

IrVsdP3.png

===
===

g7rtHk3.png

I got a bit cheeky with him at the very end there ... showing him my lunch plate today ... but that was just between joue et moi et je joue pas meme s'il semble que je crie only de jouissance et si tu penses que j'ai aucun sens je t'assure que je jouit de tous mes facultés ... a peu près ... plus ou moins, mon ami  ... so let's get serious around here, okay ... and let's get to work ...

#1447904 Shanghainese Food

Posted by Chambolle on 14 November 2019 - 10:25 PM in Asia

I’ve stayed a considerable amount of time at location 1 and 2. I never thought to write anything down. It’s all good but, shoot sorry.

*** Breaking News *** Breaking News ***

Daniel ! Daniel !! Daniel !!!

My friend in Shanghai is about to get Shanghai-ed because he’s about to do all this hoity-toity Shanghai shit and he’s worried he’s going to get stomach flu and I’m worried that he’s pigging out without me and that he’s going to get a severe case of UV radiation poisoning and his wife isn’t there to heal him as she’s one of the world's leading laser experts ... he doesn’t know what the hell he’s getting himself into and we need to help him like crazy before he's a dead duck on a ship to nowhere !

He needs to be doing the real deal for dinner, Daniel, not this Ultra-Michelin Mirage Mashugana ! That is, he needs to be slumming it for supper in Shanghai, but slumming it real good. Got it ? 

Hey buddy, I thought we were BFF so WTF is going on, man ! 

Come on dude !

Do Chambo a solid and at least shout out a stream of consciousness* soliloquy of what dishes he should be snarfing down and swallowing for supper in Shanghai ... how are the sandwiches, sailor ?  and not too much slimy shit cuz he’s more of a scaredy-cat and doesn’t want to be eating all that but you know what I mean ... or just ask around and see what your buddies think and get me a resto name or two or three or 23 ...

Details to follow to make full sense of the above ... but in the interim ... trust me, Daniel ... this is serious business ...

If you don’t know the names of these joints in locales 1 and 2 at least  stream me a blast of the bad-ass dishes he should be expecting, eating or experimenting with ... come on Dr. Daniel ... write me up some Rxs ... send me something ... a few Chinese love letters at least 

Chambo ain't the type to come up empty when his friends are in deep doo-doo ... nor R U !!!

*your consciousness not mine cuz I’m already on that program if you haven't been paying attention

#1447903 Miami

Posted by Chambolle on 14 November 2019 - 09:48 PM in Florida and The South

Can anyone, and I mean ANYONE, tell Alan that Chambo Ain't Going ANYWHERE ...

Unless Alan allocates his private jet to pick me up and take me home ...

Cuz Chambo's got game and Gagnaire in his sights shortly thereafter ...

As he does every year ... so it Ain't gonna be my Last Supper, is it Alan, huh !

I talked this over recently with my BFF da Vinci and he's as confused as I am ...

It's just as simple as that !

How many times must I unsubscribe, Alan, huh ! How many !

Jet me to and fro OR F Off ! Chambo don't come cheap !

YOU ARE INVITED / Faena Festival Grand Opening. Dec. 2nd

FaenaArtlogo.png TopCopy.jpg HeroImg.jpgBodytextcopyV2.jpgSpace.jpgRsvpButton.jpg LowerCopy.jpgNamelistV2.jpgDiscoverMoreV3.jpg fb.png insta.png dailyupdates.pngURL.jpg

#1447902 Gigs

Posted by Chambolle on 14 November 2019 - 07:47 PM in Music

So it started like this …

Nqn5SG5.jpg

And it ended like that …

ajhxttW.jpg

But then, totally unexpectedly, a shocking development !

Some random bald headed guy charged out like a mad man … and I was having an anxiety attack cuz I thought he was going to kill everyone !

m5KXttH.jpg

But next thing you know, no war and everyone is making love and hugging and then it all just seemed like one big happy family … one of the stranger things I’ve seen, to tell you the truth …

In between the start and the end, there was an awful lot of discussion of comment faire une super pipe ... and the guy starts talking about his zipper being undone and his penis being pulled out and a second hand is playing with his balls ... and I was thinking that this is starting to get a bit interesting ... but I wasn't totally prepared for what followed ... cuz then she starts talking about how when she gets down to business how she wraps one hand around the bottom of his shaft and how she positions her lips kinda like over her teeth in such a way to have silky soft, no sharp objects, friction free movement before she starts moving her head up and down slowly and then she describes what's she's doing with her tongue ... and she starts speeding up and simulating the whole bobbing, and I'm kinda squirming in my seat and getting kinda of anxious cuz I'm afraid I gotta go, right, and she's now going up and down and up and down even faster and it took all the will power that I had not to stand up, raise one arm with a fist and scream out "You go, Girl ! " but I figured these Frenchies don't have as good a sense of humor as I do so I opted to stay seated and just think that thought as I kept squirming in my seat while receiving hard to classify looks from the world class lass next to me which I returned with a big toothy, semi-ashamed smile ... and then our fine soon-to-be, negligee-clad actress starts talking about how important the finishing technique is ... and I gently elbowed the wcl next to me (cuz I had a premonition that something really good was going to be coming out of the actress's mouth) and whispered in her ear softly fais attention, ecoutes bien et prends des notes ! and she kinda gave me a semi-scowl and I'm wondering what the heck's with her ? It wasn't my idea to come here, ya know. So then our fine actress gives the sexual solilquy of the century, or so says Chambo, by discussing how important it is to maintain full-on bobbing motion all the way through til ejaculation is fully terminated and to keep on going like the Energizer Bunny while the firing is happening ... but you don't know how many shots are in that 8 shooter and guys don't want to pull the trigger too fast so this all does become pretty tricky business ... but she emphasizes that it is very important to end all bobbing very shortly after the gun is fully emptied cuz guys don't really like continued bobbing when there's no more shots to be fired .... so I'm thinking about her fine words while they're alive and dancing in my mind and I'm running images and prior episodes on my projector upstairs and I'm nodding to myself with a smile on my face as I appreciate the tremendous verbal wisdom that I intrinsically understand at a visceral level but had never really heard them so thoughtfully, so clearly and so correctly put into words and now the wcl is giving a full-on scowl and I'm getting uncomfortable cuz I'm thinking what the hell's with her and I didn't really know what to say so I said t'as pris des notes, elle connait son metier tres bien, non ! and the wcl is totally pissed off and in a real snotty way says that she didn't take any notes and said that maybe I should have ! and now I'm confused and I ask what the heck does that mean and now we're each frustrated with each other and I'm unhappy because I want her to be happy but things aren't going very well between us so far, so I start praying that there's going to be a happy ending and at the exact moment that I thought that thought, from the stage I hear that there should be no leakage from the mouth, of course, and then the stupendous Shakespearean switcheroo to To Swallow or Not to Swallow, which you know is one of my very favorite verses ... and I'm literally getting crazy excited about what's to come next ... and I'm making these loud gulping noises cuz I'm so nervous and cuz I can't believe this fine actress is going there as I'm coming apart at the seams, it seems, and I was pretty hungry before this thing started but now I'm moaning for a nice portion of pie to dig into ... and ... 

I'm sorry ... I can go on forever ... and that's why, deep down, the wcl loves me ... but I got some important business to attend to right now and it's called dinner ... so all I can say is that when the show finally ended and we finally left, we didn't really talk all that much about when we saw and how we liked it blah blah blah ... it was pretty quiet on the way back ... and just a bunch of acting and re-enacting back home

And look, don't shoot the messenger !

I'm being told that that Espace Cardin performance is great ART !

What do I know about art and all that merde ... pffffft ... nuttin !

I simply recapped, best I could, what happened, blow by blow, and this is the end of the show

And you think I'm joking !

One of these days you all are going to realize that EVERYTHING I say is true ... 

b1zaMUc.jpg

#1447897 [LA] Sushi

Posted by Chambolle on 14 November 2019 - 05:25 PM in California, Nevada and Hawaii

Kura is closing but check out the video when you have 10 spare minutes ... and the bigger the screen the better ... good eats and good vid too !

https://www.eater.co...-japanese-video

Has anyone been ? and if so how was it ?

#1447878 Atomix

Posted by Chambolle on 13 November 2019 - 05:04 PM in New York

When Americans start telling Israelis they're not obnoxious enough, you KNOW something's up.

I think you misunderstood.

I'm French. He's Maltese. It was an all EU exchange

Please no knee jerk reactions ... take a deep breath before responding ... maybe even a re-read or two ...

And you can thank me privately if it's easier for you if you prefer ... after all that huffing and puffing dies down of course ...

First of all, thank you for not jerking

Second, thank you for the private thanks

I think you misread.

I'll deal with your misread later cuz it's actually you who miswrote as we'll see in a separate post ...

[FOR ORIK ONLY … repeat … FOR ORIK ONLY]

From the archives ... Captain's Log ... AirChambo #212 ... Star Date - Oct 31 2019

I think you miswrote.

FYI There was NO misreading (in any conventional sense of the term) whatsoever by anyone or anything associated with me … it’s your writing … and your writing was accurately processed based upon the rules of the English language

First of all, to be crystal clear, I didn’t misread nuttin cuz I didn’t read nuttin !

Second … “my” last few posts from today (today, in your version of time ... ETA Oct 31 2019) were all AI-automated airplane bot blasts from the beyond as AirChambo’s mind was accelerating towards the c … this transcendent bot technology is actually working VERY WELL … and with a super low degree of error … and with a lovely personality twist to boot …

"I think this is the wrong bottle, we ordered the white from the same vineyard and this is red."
"Let me check"
Runs upstairs, returns.
"No, it's the white, it's just that the bottle is from very dark glass."

However when certain people write grammatically incorrectly pretty much constantly ie cryptically (no subjects present*, missing thes ie prior to red and/or inconsistent use of articles and on and on and on) … yeah it’s within the realm of possibility that there could be a slight “syncing” problem vis-à-vis the confused writing of a confused mind that’s been too long in the mines … sandwich mines, mind you … no worries though … cuz it’s ALL resolved now … I did a couple of tiny tweaks … and the new version has a fully-tested, Orik-obscurity algorithm adjustment and it’s now operating beautifully in the wild … so I think that we’re pretty much good to go … and that’s good news all around … and, by the way, thanks for the help, mon ami !

*I just checked the bot log … and yes, not surprisingly your subject-less “Runs upstairs, returns” was bot-processed as if the bottle was opened, the wine was poured (in a no-gravity environment** of course, flowed upstairs and returned … due to the ensuing deceleration event

** which we were in at that very moment, I might proudly add***, given our acceleration at the time …

*** note how the bot is incorporating full environmental context into its overall analytical answering engine … and that’s just a tiny window into vast complexity of the language processing subsystem and what’s going on within … so from now on, I may just keep it simple and call the monumental iceberg of complexity that’s hidden from view and churning away below the scenes and processing trillions of instructions per nanosecond “AI” … cuz I want Wilf to be able to follow along … cuz he’s reading along … cuz he doesn’t follow “Orik Only” instructions very well at all ****

**** yep, all this was bot generated, as I say proudly*****

***** yep, pride … human pride, the most complex and challenging AI algorithm that exists and I’ve implemented it more intelligently****** than any human could ever hope to … because humans don’t know where their pride starts or ends or what’s in between … but that’s human nature … and I’ve left all that crap far, far behind …

****** The implementation details are way beyond Atomix … you must look past the sub-atomic level because I’ve cracked the quantum code … this is NOT as far-fetched as you think because as long as you are prefetching instructions in parallel universes to fill a virtual, distributed quantum cache in such a way that all quarks (and my remarks) seem strange then you are in a superposition to get the job done … but for those who don’t have a deep understanding of the nature of our universe and multiverse computing then they are naturally confused and they don’t immediately realize that everything as always is on point and eminently doable … and Chambo has done it … so I advise any and all to shrug off any growing, Schroding doubt about any paradox for at this very moment I’m surrounding by cool cats, big cats, fat cats, frisky felines, dead cats and live Katz as I reflect upon on the true nature of pastrami and astronomy in the asteroid belt… Chambo, To Infinity and Beyond !

These are the Automated Answers of the Starship Chambo