joethefoodie's Content

There have been 1000 items by joethefoodie (Search limited from 06-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1448615 Essex Crossing, Essex St. Market, and More

Posted by joethefoodie on Yesterday, 02:17 PM in New York

Maybe Essex Pearl read this thread?  Some of the fish (yesterday) looked a little tired.

We can't think of a better way to spend our Saturday.  Can you?

Join us this Saturday, 12/7 for all day $1 Oysters. 

Sample our selection of east & west coast oysters and pair them with an $8 glass of Julien Braud Muscadet or a $4 Narraganset Lager.

11:30 am - 11:00 pm.

#1448614 Cookies

Posted by joethefoodie on Yesterday, 11:36 AM in Baking and Dessert

I did a little baking last night:

3vInia2.jpg?1

Crispy oatmeal. And not pictured, Pierre Hermé's and Dorie Greenspan's World Peace Cookies, with the only chips of chocolate I had on hand - and Nestle's are not as good as using Callebaut or other high quality chocolate, that's for sure.

#1448612 Supper

Posted by joethefoodie on Yesterday, 11:28 AM in In the kitchen

Nothing like good arancini...a fave.

#1448611 Chicago 2019

Posted by joethefoodie on Yesterday, 11:23 AM in Chicago and the Midwest

Wish I had known about Porto - looks like fun, and it is very close to where we were staying those first 2 nights.

Menu/philosophy reads a bit like Cervo's here, where the other night I had a fresh grilled herring and a plate of anchodinas with radishes and horseradish.

#1448602 Cookies

Posted by joethefoodie on Yesterday, 12:13 AM in Baking and Dessert

I have to say the Medrich linzers were kind of a dud. Taste good but fall apart if you so much as look at them. I wanted to do something with buckwheat and jam but will need to do some research. In the meantime I may redo the linzers with a more traditional recipe, including hazelnut flour. 

Key for proper cookies is that you can keep them through December and that you can pack them for gifts without losing too many. All the others above fit the bill. 

Yeah, buckwheat has very little holding power - that is, gluten free!

#1448590 The Irishman

Posted by joethefoodie on 04 December 2019 - 07:30 PM in On screen

Maybe most other movies just really suck, but the good reviews keep rolling in.

A. O. Scott

As the movie year winds down, I would like to express my gratitude to Martin Scorsese. Not only for making “The Irishman,” his best movie in a long time and one of the best of 2019 (see below), but also for reminding the world of the value of cinema.

Richard Brody in The New Yorker.

I found myself overwhelmed by feelings and thoughts and sheer beauty, and I often stopped the movie to savor the moment, back up a bit, and watch a scene again. Viewed this way, the movie stretched out closer to five hours—a day very well spent.

One reason for the pausing and the savoring is the majestic intricacy of the tale’s construction

#1448571 The Irishman

Posted by joethefoodie on 04 December 2019 - 03:07 PM in On screen

As a fan of Scorsese's since Who's That Knocking At My Door, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Maybe it could've been 1/2 hour shorter; but is that Scorsese when he wants to tell his story?

"Dragging" Pesci out of retirement, and putting him in the role of Russel Bufalino as opposed to the roles he always tended to play was pretty great.  As were, in my opinion, some of the scenes with Pacino and DeNiro.

And as strange as it may scene, Significant Eater and I actually laughed at certain points/lines in the movie; easily the ones paying homage to certain great movies of the past.

I think one of, if not the major reason he chose not to use younger actors to portray the old guys, was because of the obvious reference to the use of character(s) in Godfather II.  But watch the added footage, the discussion among the 4 - it's somewhat telling.

You know, Springsteen has referenced how great it is that he gets to work with people who he has been great friends with for 50 or so years. So has Costello, most recently in Bass Magazine (though in his case, more like 40 years), speaking about his bass player Davey Farragher.  I see the same here, with the addition of Pacino throwing a curveball into the mix.

#1448569 What's the Most Obscure Cuisine You've Eaten in New York?

Posted by joethefoodie on 04 December 2019 - 02:19 PM in New York

Now you’re talking.

#1448565 Thanksgiving 2019

Posted by joethefoodie on 04 December 2019 - 11:45 AM in General food and drink discussion

I was a Big bayard meat guy before the market on Mott and grand opened. They always had great shrimp

I hadn't seen this market before, but I walked by yesterday and...didn't go in, cause it looked like a madhouse.  But I'll have to check it out soon, since it looks so clean and shiny and huge.

#1448564 Essex Crossing, Essex St. Market, and More

Posted by joethefoodie on 04 December 2019 - 11:37 AM in New York

Lobsters said to be between $14-18/lb, which all in for convenience isn't bad. I've paid the same on the Cape in bad seasons.

$12.99/lb today. I also think I saw mention of a 2lb lobster for $16.99, but my photo does not bear this out, so I may have hallucinated it.

I don't know how that price is even possible, but that's their price at Aqua Best too, somehow.

I went back today - lobster prices are 1 1/4 lb for $12.99 and 2 lb for $16.99. In other interesting news, Maine uni! also geoduck! Had a nice chat with the guy, who encouraged me to make suggestions for what he should stock and told me I could have the uni shucked at the counter. I haughtily informed him that I have watched several YouTube videos and can shuck my own damn uni (I have done this exactly once and am thus an expert). But I said I would be very interested in having the geoduck prepared for me, 'cause it looks pretty daunting and also costs $35/lb, so I'm not gonna buy a whole one.

cBc4hDE.jpg

T. Nixtamal is STILL NOT OPEN AND I AM NOT PLEASED.

Nixtamal should open this coming Monday.

I thought some of the prices at Essex Pearl were insane - they were asking like $5 per oyster?

#1448563 What's the Most Obscure Cuisine You've Eaten in New York?

Posted by joethefoodie on 04 December 2019 - 11:33 AM in New York

The Chowhounds of the turn of the century would have gone to town on this topic...

At the turn of the century, there may have been more obscure stuff, or restaurants touting unique cuisine, than there are now.

There probably wasn't even a single place serving Roman-esque pizza, lamb face noodles, or camel sandwiches.

#1448562 Casa Mono

Posted by joethefoodie on 04 December 2019 - 11:29 AM in New York

I don't know that there is a consensus, but the word I've heard is that Otto is not as good as it was in its heyday.

The one place I've been back to in the past 6 months is Lupa, and they still make damn good pasta. Eataly is Eataly - I rarely shop (and never eat) there, since it's not terribly convenient, but when I do find myself in the neighborhood, I'll pop in. The breadth and scope of Italian product is, to my mind, unmatched in NYC, without maybe going to 10 different places..

#1448543 Frenchette

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 10:30 PM in New York

Has their ship come in?

The chefs behind wildly popular and critically acclaimed modern French brasserie Frenchette are getting into the Midtown dining game with a restaurant in Rockefeller Center.

Chefs Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson will open a third, unnamed restaurant inside the soon-to-close, 18,000-square-foot Brasserie Ruhlman space, which has been at the prime 45 Rockefeller Plaza address for decades.

#1448541 Thanksgiving 2019

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 10:12 PM in General food and drink discussion

Leaving the country to avoid the rest (this turkey was not my project).

We have, for years and years, left the country during the Thanksgiving week, left on the day of Thanksgiving, or as we did this year, arrived home on the day of.  Works well, and not just for avoiding turkey (which certainly has parts I like). In my years in California, I enjoyed smoke cooking the bird in the Weber, after brining.

#1448540 D'Artagnan Sale

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 10:08 PM in At the shops

Made a kind of Basque pot roast with it in the slow cooker.

Sounds good - I was thinking it might be good with dry heat as well, but never anything wrong with pot roast.

#1448539 What's the Most Obscure Cuisine You've Eaten in New York?

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 10:06 PM in New York

Is there a Tuvaluan restaurant in New York. My daughter randomly informed me that it’s the most remote (I think) country in the world.

This is the problem with going to college.

#1448521 Chicago 2019

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 04:49 PM in Chicago and the Midwest

Just make sure it's not in Otis Redding's plane.

My guess - it'll be fucking cold.

You could try to recreate Joni Mitchell's Hejira photoshoot on Lake Mendota.

Yeah - the other Madison lake. 

How the hell they ever decided to put the capital in between those two lakes is beyond me.

#1448520 Death Pool

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 04:26 PM in New York

Was just, over this past weekend, talking about the few extant Bronx delis.  And..

Nearly 60-year-old deli Loeser’s may not be long for the world. It closed on November 20 after the city found non-compliant plumbing that the Department of Building says poses a potential fire hazard. The city shut down the gas, and then the Department of Health closed it for not having hot water.

#1448516 rockdoggydog

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 02:21 PM in Goodbye

He liked to order, as Don Lee reminisced, the whole menu.

RIP, Rocky.

#1448509 D'Artagnan Sale

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 11:57 AM in At the shops

The porcelet collar was fantastic.

Can't wait to try it.  Did you just roast it?

#1448508 Union Square Cafe

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 11:45 AM in New York

Because bistro isn't specifically designed for people who are afraid of food.

Steak frites, roast chicken, and pomme purée are scary?

#1448476 Chicago 2019

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 12:54 AM in Chicago and the Midwest

Oh - always important.

In Chicago, coffee at Metric was quite good. But it had better be, at over $5 for a pour over.

In Madison, Porter Coffee was just fine.

In Milwaukee, Colectivo Coffee on the Lakefront was just fine. Many locations.

#1448474 Chicago 2019

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 12:45 AM in Chicago and the Midwest

That’s useful. I see Madison or Milwaukee in my future. In January, which is not ideal. Probably be flying into/out of one of them and would like to overstay a day.

Just make sure it's not in Otis Redding's plane.

My guess - it'll be fucking cold.

#1448473 What makes you laugh?

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 12:42 AM in What's that got to do with anything?

They must avoid Le Bernardin photos like the plague.

#1448472 What's the Most Obscure Cuisine You've Eaten in New York?

Posted by joethefoodie on 03 December 2019 - 12:39 AM in New York

I feel I’ve eaten obscure dishes more than obscure cuisines.

I totally think this.  And it brings back an old question I might've asked before - just because something is obscure, does that mean it's good?  Or to put it another way, is it necessary to eat rare and or "challenging" food for culinary delight?