That sounds great.. Right now, I have this huge dehydrator taking up a ton of room.. We have yet to do anything with it. .It was a gift.. I received an email from the electric bread maker in the basement. telling me he was lonely.

So set him up with the dehydrator. Then the next time you go down to the basement, you'll find it full of Melba toast babies.

• Replies 20.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Macaroni and cheese. Well, rotini and cheese. I was a bit worried because my sauce was very runny (I only had skim milk), but it turned out perfectly. And y'all were right about the breadcrumbs. It's good, but it's waaaaay better with the crispy breadcrumbs!

I also had a wee bit of chicken marbella. The chicken is nice and moist, but the sauce is a little watery. Will have to reduce it a bit.

eta: I wish I had some chiffon cake to make my meal completely perfect. I guess I'll have to make do with some milk and Ginger Nuts.

Also made gnocchi: from leftover roasted acorn squash and mashed white/sweet potatoes, with both all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, no egg. Nice and fluffy, not gummy. They were a side for chicken cacciatore with three types of dried mushrooms, with another side of steamed green chard. Salad with rosemary vinaigrette. An entire bottle of prosecco between the two of us. :blush:

Saturday night was squid from the freezer, stewed with tomatoes, with added (frozen) peas, over fettucine. Side of green cabbage with spicy mayo sauce, salad with (? herb) vinaigrette. Leftover shiraz.

Sounds terrific Susan.. I am on a gnocchi kick.. Well, i purchased a bag of potatoes last week and only have a couple of pounds left.. My next gnocchi will be a braised meat gnocchi. The cacciatore application sounds right up my alley.. I am thinking a veal shank gnocchi.

This weekend, I kind of what a little nutty purchasing cheese.. Actually Cheese and digestives. Bought a couple of pine liquors, something from the people that brew Aventinus as well and Underberger.. Brooklyn Larder was having a 50 percent off blue cheese, I still think they are.. So, I bought a large 1lb brick of gorgonzola that I was going to partially use to make a gnocchi sauce from but, then Miss K bought the taleggio and requested that cheese in her gnocchi.. In addition to those two cheeses, I purchased 4 other kinds, all about a quarter pound of. And a large scamorza, used off the last of the mozzarella last night.

I also have a large one pound hen of woods mushrooms that I was thinking of serving with lobster and gnocchi. So, who knows what will happen, i know I am on the edge of my seat.

Vegetarian in da house. Radishes and celery with salsa verde. Cauliflower gratin (or cauliflower cheese if you will). Baby arugula with lemon dressing and black olives. Stirato. Meyer lemon tart. Gruner veltliner.

The salsa verde might have been my best yet. Of course I will never be able to recreate it. Cilantro,parsley,capers,olive oil,almonds,pickled peperoncini,a dash of soy (for umami without resorting to anchovies).

Jalapeno pork roast ala Susan Spicer. I added too much orange juice to the rub so it was soupier than I wanted. That turned out okay because it made a really nice pan sauce to spoon over. Served it with a big green salad and a 2000 Reserve La Mancha.

sardine escabeche.

roasted maitake with sweetbreads and capers

braised veal shank with yukon gold gnocchi

It's kind of fun lately as my cooking seems to be elevating.

I'd love to know your proportions for the gnocchi. Also, do you sauté the gnocchi after boiling?

sardine escabeche.

roasted maitake with sweetbreads and capers

braised veal shank with yukon gold gnocchi

It's kind of fun lately as my cooking seems to be elevating.

I'd love to know your proportions for the gnocchi. Also, do you sauté the gnocchi after boiling?

You adjust depending on the potatoes you throw down on the counter, you start with a well, add egg or eggs, salt, scramble the egg, cover the pile with flour, mix and add flour slowly. I would rather add less to start than more. I think the big misconception with gnocchi is how people will warn you about over handling the dough. It's not fragile.. the first few times i made gnocchi, i was afraid to touch it. Work the thing for 4 or 5 minutes or just until it feels like it will make a good dumpling. i make a pretty deep ridge, I roll the gnocchi off a fork.