Lauren -- yes. also known as -- depending on where you live -- "glasswort", "marsh asparagus" or "goose tongue".

Daisy -- Eataly has had them on sale for a while now. Price is $15 a pound, but you'd have to really scoop up a lot to get 1 lb. of samphire. Two meals worth is about right, for me.

• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Last night Miss K and I had lobsters. Simple way, just boiled with a lot of clarified butter, a salt baked potato with sour cream.

7112792735_3a1e35c127.jpg

A little beer for me:

6966715060_73ca7e9ffa.jpg

I also made an eggplant parm for Miss A to take to her friends house tonight. I am going to some sushi place called Neta tonight.

6966715634_252ab3fa1b.jpg

We have a friend from Vermont in town visiting and he spent the night with us last night. We grilled some salmon my usual way (brushed with a slurry of butter, lemon juice and dry mustard), roasted some proscuitto wrapped asparagus and tossed up a salad. I didn't have time to make anything so we served a purchased Tom Douglas' triple coconut cream pie for dessert. We poured a 2004 Patricia Green Pinot Noir to go with the fish and finished with a Moscato d'Asti.

I was recently in Bangkok and Chiang Mai to film a show and while there, I was introduced to coconut flower sugar.

It is taken from the juice of the flower and boiled until it resembles caramel. If boiled for 15 mins it is mixed with water as a drink, for 1 hour,it becomes a light caramel and is nibbled as a snack and, if it is boiled for two hours, it becomes this deep, rich colour and used in savoury preparations.

6968302564_9e8f06bac3_z.jpg

download by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

A friend gave me some to bring back with me and I used it in a Green Chicken Curry adding the sugar to galangal, Thai basil, cilantro, garlic, Thai chilies, lime juice, Kafir lime leaves, cumin, ground coriander, shrimp paste, fish sauce and coconut milk.

7114380069_ef1ee6964c_z.jpg

download by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

I have been feeling a bit homesick for the UK over the last few days and what better to remind me of Blighty than a nice savoury pie?

A particular favourite pie that both my mum and grandmother used to make for me when I was a kid was a turkey, leek and ham pie, so I decided to make one of those

7121764041_1c3d092940_z.jpg

12 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

6975685438_107daf44ba_z.jpg

13 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

7123543855_577a8fb266_z.jpg

Venetian-style calamari, with herbs and polenta

The polenta was made from polenta corn meal from Cayuga Pure Organics at USGM. No butter or cheese, as I was more interested in the "corn-y" flavor.

Apparently, someone forgot to tell me about the cement-like properties of cooling polenta. :ph43r:

I have been feeling a bit homesick for the UK over the last few days and what better to remind me of Blighty than a nice savoury pie?

A particular favourite pie that both my mum and grandmother used to make for me when I was a kid was a turkey, leek and ham pie, so I decided to make one of those

7121764041_1c3d092940_z.jpg

12 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

6975685438_107daf44ba_z.jpg

13 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

Holy crap! That looks fantastic!

Some friends came over Saturday night for a spur-of-the-moment game of bridge. I had some tamales in the freezer so I ran to the Mexican market to pick up some sides to fill out the meal. I did a pot of RG Rio Zape beans and cooked them with some cubed up smoked pork. Served crema, queso fresco, salsa and cilantro on the side. My friend brought a salad.

Trip to the Chinatown Grocery Store yielded some fun items.

We have some seaweed packets for Miss K's lunchbox, spicy peanuts and anchovies in one container, spicy sichuan peanuts in another container,Sichuan peppercorns, live shrimp,Chinese Broccoli, pea shoots kewpie mayo, off camera a big bag of garlic peanuts and various chile oils. Total cost 36 dollars.

7131763389_5a4c9a8da5.jpg

The bag of peanuts was loaded with sichuan peppers.

6985679760_6ddb97bc52.jpg

Busted out the steamer. Steamed the broccoli, it works so well. Being able to lay them all one direction. I am officially in like with the steamer. Not just for making pastrami.

7131763797_2a8df0bea5.jpg

These shrimp jumping out of the bowl moments before. To sesame oil, I added ginger and garlic, then cooking wine, then soy sauce and a little rice wine vinegar. We sat around, split a bottle of wine and peeled and at the shrimp. They were so sweet and delicious. It's hard to buy any other shrimp when you can readily purchase them alive. There is a huge difference in taste.

Healthy meal.

6985679958_b327a680f6.jpg