I've been looking at Adam Perry Lang's new book;Charred and Scruffed....Planking,Clinching,Scruffing...Vinegar salts,brining and basting....I thought that summer grilling was supposed to be relaxing...But,being a curious and masochistic cook,how could I resist ? Brined a chicken,made a dehydrated Banyuls vinegar/thyme salt,herb and spring garlic baste.Grilled,basted,flung the chicken onto a wooden board painted with baste,sprinkled on some vinegar salt...Then,just for fun,grilled some figs and endive,splashed with black walnut vinegar,olive oil,basil..grilled some squash and pan de tomate......Slightly exhausted,but a few hours spent talking,swiping up bits of chicken and board baste with toasty bread,along with a few bottles of rose, were worth it all.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Had a day of hanging around the house with Miss K. First pancakes with strawberries and homemade whipped cream. Then grilled cheese after the Botanical Gardens. I then was inspired to garden myself. Homemade pasta with peas and ground sausage from the freezer. After being away so often, its nice to eat at home.

Pasta just two eggs and a some flour.

7390479030_081480daee.jpg

Onion, pancetta, sausage, a drop of tomato paste, wine, peas, milk, cheese. cracked an egg last minute and then added more cheese.  Miss K thought we were making cheese stuffed burgers tonight for dinner but, admitted to liking this.

7390480620_29a7c4858d.jpg

Only had to buy strawberries today!

recent warm weather meals at home:

la zi ji chicken, with an extra hit of black vinegar

simple cucumber salad

stir fried green asparagus with garlic and oyster sauce

lindt 70% chocolate

don't remember which (white) wine we had

pimm's cup, chianti

burgers

greek salad

chips

melon

chocolate ice cream

yesterday, got in late...

stir fried eggs with tomatoes on rice.

Cucumber salad

manzoni bianco to drink

I had some ratatouille left over from our dinner party on Saturday so I cooked up some sausage, added the ratatouille to it and tossed it with some campanelle. Whisked some parmesan into some pasta water, added a splash of olive oil and half and half and called it good.

Too chilly last night to make the planned salade niçoise with my oil-poached albacore tuna. So instead, a stir-fry of bok choy, Chinese sausage, carrot, celery, and red bell pepper. Over brown rice. Salad as usual. The last can of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

Tonight will be squashed stuffed with chicken-bean chili. Salad. Some kinda beer.

It's *supposed* to get really hot tomorrow, so maybe we'll have the tuna then.

dinner for me and miss k. lobster bodies halved, stuffed with a ritz crackers, roe, butter, parsley, lemon mixture. then baked. Served the claws (miss k's favorite) steamed with clarified butter. She had 3 claws, I had three half bodies. Now that is compromise. Mashed potatoes too.

7407766170_6e15051a48.jpg

Been working my way through lots of stufato (I could live on that for the rest of the summer) and Indian takeout; but made this last week:

7188926045_d10188aacf_z.jpg

Petits pois, with shallots and chickweed

I don't recommend peeling peas unless you're feeling a touch masochistic. It took me about 90 minutes to peel roughly 1/2 lb. worth of shelled fresh peas...

ETA to add a photo of the pea "skins", in case anyone was confused about 'peeling' the peas.

7411238272_8c6c0c5084_z.jpg

Now imagine doing that for 25 daily lunch specials.

baked clams with homemade bread crumbs soaked in the clam juice and olive oil. to the mixture i added slat, pepper, parsley, a little garlic and topped with a super small thin piece of guanciale.

charred octopus and potatoes with red onion and red vinegar.

merguez sausage with lentils. diced carrots and a side of greek yogurt.

Everything was from the freezer or fridge from the last two weeks.

only new thing were two rolls for the bread crumbs at ,98 cents and 24 clams for 10 dollars.

10 dollars in food several times more in liquor, priorities are in order.

Been working my way through lots of stufato (I could live on that for the rest of the summer) and Indian takeout; but made this last week:

I don't recommend peeling peas unless you're feeling a touch masochistic. It took me about 90 minutes to peel roughly 1/2 lb. worth of shelled fresh peas...

ETA to add a photo of the pea "skins", in case anyone was confused about 'peeling' the peas.

That's why god made prep cooks.

We use to make this bean dish at Bite Club.. It was a hit but, it took so freaking long. It was literally, 2.5 to 3 hours of just shelling beans. I cursed Rancho several times throughout the process.

That's why god made prep cooks.

ewww

someone on eG said they had to do a quart a day of freshly double-shucked peas, favas and chickpeas. :blink:

uh ... I need a hug. :blink: :blink: :blink:

We needed a no-cook meal last night. In the fridge, I found a big container of leftover fingerling potatoes that N had roasted with a chicken while I was away. I cobbled together a salad with the potatoes, diced mini red & yellow peppers, diced scallions, 2 hard-boiled eggs (that N had made in the morning), and a dressing of mayo, yellow mustard, and a little olive oil. Raspberries and ice cream for dessert.