Despite the hot weather and the demolition of our deck we had a few people over for a summer meal: grilled burgers, excellent corn-on-the-cob (from Target!), baked beans, watermelon, and popsicles.

Then we terrorized the neighbors by lighting off a bunch of fireworks in the street.

• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

I actually noticed some berkshire pork cheek being sold at Eataly on Wednesday. I believe it was 595 a pound. It was incredibly noticeable among the other very expensive cuts. Unfortunately, I was on my way somewhere and was unable to purchase them.

This weekend, we catered a wedding in the Berkshires. Our second of the summer up there. This one was for Miss A's aunts that were getting married. As a present we provided the food for the wedding. For 70 people, the total was 1250 dollars!

The menu was as follows,

Cheese plates and crudites.

Lots of cool breads from Bein Cuit

Chipotle Deviled eggs.

Homemade Pates. Chicken liver, country style pork pate.

Beet and goat cheese crositini.

Shrimp Cocktail

Baked scallops

-------------------------

Watermelon salad champagne vinegar, cilantro, jalapeno and chives

poached salmon with dill dressing

baked pasta with eggplant and mozzarella

korean marinated flank steak served rare (upon request) with chimmichurri sauce and pickled cherry peppers.

Golden potatoes stuffed with smoked fish (provided by one of the guests) creme fraiche and caviar.

Caesar Salad with homemade croutons.

We had helpers so we were also able to be apart of the wedding. At night, we also surprised them with a bunch of Thai Laterns that we lit and watch float into the sky.. The kids loved them.

Just two more weddings left this summer and we are throwing two or three official bite clubs into the mix.

Yeah, I was thinking that I have to smoke some fish soon.

Tonight was a khoresh--a Persian-inspired stew of veal and chard stems, with lots of mild onion, verjus + lemon for tartness, and turmeric + saffron for color, cooked a few days ago in the slow cooker. Lots of chopped parsley as the last minute garnish. Not much more, and all in all, very mild and nice.

Served with some leftover whole-wheat couscous, and salad with tarragon vinaigrette. No need really for other vegetables. Second half of a bottle of Saint Bris (chardonnay) to drink.

Staying home tomorrow. We'll have knockwurst in top-sliced rolls (hard to find here!), sauerkraut if I can find it in the fridge, maybe some homemade tater tots from purple potatoes, and salad as always. Beer.

Cremini mushroom, Swiss chard, and leek quiche. I tried to make it slightly healthier by using lots of vegetables and less custard (3 eggs and 1/2 cup heavy cream). For the cheese, I wanted an alternative to Swiss or Gruyere, neither of which I'm super-fond of, and the Murray's clerk suggested a raclette-type raw milk cheese from Spring Brook Farms in Reading, VT. It worked really well--good melt with a little bit of tang. I baked the quiche late last night so my oven wouldn't be on during the heat of the day.

I have been on the road for the best part of the last month, so it was nice to finally get back into my kitchen.

My Mrs asked me to make some snacks for her to take to a picnic with her girlfriends tonight, so I made chicken lollipops with a sweet & sour, hot dipping sauce

7511246736_276d2317a9_z.jpg

P7052242 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Careme, it ain't, but I think she'll enjoy them

Slapsie

A somewhat pink meal -

Raspberry borscht. Found the recipe in a old cookbook and thought it sounding intriguing. Sweet and fruity on the start but earthy on the finish. And actually fairly tart from all the lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Blovie was expecting the worst, but enjoyed it.

An assortment of sauteed summer squash with rotini

Sour cherry soup. Good I love this stuff.

A somewhat pink meal -

Raspberry borscht. Found the recipe in a old cookbook and thought it sounding intriguing. Sweet and fruity on the start but earthy on the finish. And actually fairly tart from all the lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Blovie was expecting the worst, but enjoyed it.

An assortment of sauteed summer squash with rotini

Sour cherry soup. Good I love this stuff.

More info, please. Is that beet borscht with raspberries?

Looks great, welcome back Slapsie. Still working off this bag of chickpeas I put in the pressure cooker the other day. The little one is out of the house for a few weeks so Me and Mrs A don't feel the need to have such a structured meal time. Took some pickled carrots and vegetables we bought from the old Guss's Pickle lady. Added paprika to chickpeas, then the pickled vegetables, then the end of caviar from the other day.

Cheap and relatively healthy.. This was after a fairly nice 2 mile run.

An almost-entirely Greenmarket meal that really said SUMMER:

• first striped bass of the season, big fillet, sautéed in duck fat, finished in the oven
  • green chard, also cooked in duck fat (what can I say? I've got what seems like gallons of the stuff that I can't use again for confit)
  • corn, NOT cooked in duck fat, just dropped into a pot of boiled water and left to heat up
  • salad of lettuces, kirbies, cherry tomatoes, red pepper (from Whole Paycheck), with non-GM vinaigrette although the tarragon in the vinegar was.
  • Orvieto to drink (also not GM)

Made a Massaman Lamb Curry using the usual suspects of galangal, lemongrass, cardamom, shrimp paste, coconut milk and served it with white rice. Drank it with a 2008 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Kabinett (riesling).