potato gnocchi with bolognese sauce

7558753326_9c0ccffa10_z.jpg

I partly have to do this just to show that beautiful picture again. I just finished dinner but those look fabulous. Like ethereal gnocchi against the starry night.

But what do you use instead of wheat flour?

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

I partly have to do this just to show that beautiful picture again. I just finished dinner but those look fabulous. Like ethereal gnocchi against the starry night.

I would love the recipe as well. My last batch did not look as heavenly -- I used baked russets, egg yolk and 00 flour.

I bought Marco Canora's book solely to get his gnocchi recipe, which (I believe) at Hearth includes no egg. But probably because home cooks have trouble with his technique, that recipe does include egg yolk, albeit only one to 3 large potatoes (russets) and "about 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour." I haven't tried it.

I think somewhere there's a video of him making his gnocchi dough. Might be this. (I didn't watch, so I'm not sure.)

Anyway:

Last night was multi-culti baked quesadillas sincronizadas, two kinds, both using one flour and one whole-wheat flour tortilla and a mix of grated cotija and New Jersey Manchego-style cheeses:

1. a mix of Dominican and Puerto Rican longaniza, squeezed out of the casings and crumbled, plus leftover cooked fresh corn kernels

2. a mix of finely chopped cooked Tuscan kale with roasted garlic and tatsoi leaves steamed with a little Tabasco teriyaki sauce (both also leftovers).

Mongrel cuisine as its best!:lol:

Served with avocado, homemade salsa verde, salad with a creamy garlic dressing, and beer to drink

I would love the recipe as well. My last batch did not look as heavenly -- I used baked russets, egg yolk and 00 flour.

mine are gluten free and made with ridiculously expensive cup4cup flour that was created by the pastry chef at french laundry. i showed her the photo of my gnocchi made with her flour and she was very complimentary.

here's my old wheat based recipe which i was pretty happy with. my personal preference is to bake the potatoes rather than boil, but if you do boil do not pierce the skins first.

1 kg potatoes (russets)

280 g flour

90 g parmesan

1-2 egg yolks

salt and nutmeg to taste (optional)

Mostly USGM dinner -- chanterelles and prosciutto from Eataly

7582586476_f9f5882c9b_z.jpg

"Pork and beans"

Wax beans cooked in olive oil with rocambole garlic, parsley and lemon, with prosciutto cotto di Parma.

7582585266_bf3206185f_z.jpg

Sucrine, cremini and chanterelle salad

7582697612_3d6a9d5729_z.jpg

Stufato di verdure, fresh carrot pasta

I bought Marco Canora's book solely to get his gnocchi recipe, which (I believe) at Hearth includes no egg. But probably because home cooks have trouble with his technique, that recipe does include egg yolk, albeit only one to 3 large potatoes (russets) and "about 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour." I haven't tried it.

I think somewhere there's a video of him making his gnocchi dough. Might be this. (I didn't watch, so I'm not sure.)

Anyway:

Last night was multi-culti baked quesadillas sincronizadas, two kinds, both using one flour and one whole-wheat flour tortilla and a mix of grated cotija and New Jersey Manchego-style cheeses:

1. a mix of Dominican and Puerto Rican longaniza, squeezed out of the casings and crumbled, plus leftover cooked fresh corn kernels

2. a mix of finely chopped cooked Tuscan kale with roasted garlic and tatsoi leaves steamed with a little Tabasco teriyaki sauce (both also leftovers).

Mongrel cuisine as its best!:lol:

Served with avocado, homemade salsa verde, salad with a creamy garlic dressing, and beer to drink

Thanks for the link. I just ordered 00 flour from Anson Mills and am buying a new potato ricer (to use instead of my food mill). The video is great, but I think the ration is 6 russets to 1.5 cups (more or less) of flour.

I've been lucking out on corn so made a big pot of sweet corn and potato vichyssoise with a buttermilk swirl. Followed by salmon "croquettes" with spicy chipotle mayo (will I go to hell if I admit these are so much better than the ones my mom made simply because I poach fresh salmon whereas my mother used the canned stuff?). Buttermilk ice cream for dessert.

I've been lucking out on corn so made a big pot of sweet corn and potato vichyssoise with a buttermilk swirl. Followed by salmon "croquettes" with spicy chipotle mayo (will I go to hell if I admit these are so much better than the ones my mom made simply because I poach fresh salmon whereas my mother used the canned stuff?). Buttermilk ice cream for dessert.

corn and potato,yum!

7588664790_59c0e3648d_z.jpg

Oven-roasted mussels and heirloom tomatoes, with poached farm egg and sucrine lettuce

You can't see it, but the mussels are resting on top of some crostini. The mussels were roasted with: 1 diced heirloom tomato, 1 thinly sliced rocambole garlic clove, olive oil, white wine, sea salt, black pepper and minced onion flowers. Roast for 10 minutes at 400 F.

Onion flowers can be subbed in for regular onions and used whereever you want a hint of onion flavor.

7588665546_5998f18e5e_z.jpg

Parmigiana di melanzane

This version DOES NOT contain breaded eggplant.

Recipe here: http://memoriediangelina.blogspot.com/2009/07/parmigiana-di-melanzane.html

I've been lucking out on corn so made a big pot of sweet corn and potato vichyssoise with a buttermilk swirl. Followed by salmon "croquettes" with spicy chipotle mayo (will I go to hell if I admit these are so much better than the ones my mom made simply because I poach fresh salmon whereas my mother used the canned stuff?).

Not at all. My mom was a good cook but I hated her canned salmon croquettes (and I like canned salmon on its own in a sandwich).

Last night's dinner: leftovers from the Indonesian mosque's once-monthly fest--spicy beef cooked with coconut milk and lemongrass, something with chopped greens, and sticky rice.