• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Damn, I'm gonna have to start exercising so I can eat all those carbs like you do.

Tonight the center of the plate was a kohlrabi-potato gratin made with shallot, half-and-half, and a blend of parmesan, romano, and cotija. I forgot to sprinkle on a little nutmeg, but it was good without it.

Also spiced sausages of duck and cherries from Hudson Valley Duck/Foie.

Salad with tarragon vinaigrette.

Leftover Shiraz.

Beautiful meals all.. I am actually cooking tonight.. So excited.. I have only been cooking for Bite Club or weddings this summer. I am really looking forward to it! Miss K has been away all summer so, we have been a bit out of sorts.

We had a few folks over for dinner last night. After cocktails and nibbles we had:

Pork shoulder cooked on the kamado. Paul has really perfected this. We started with a nice fatty piece and cooked it 3 1/2 hours over low heat, right around 325 degrees. It was moist and oh, so good.

Fresh corn casserole. SeaGal had made this a week or so ago and it was spectacular so I had to make it again. The recipe came from the Pioneer Woman's web site.

Baked tomatoes provençal.

For dessert, fresh peaches with mint and cream.

How big was that piece? Did it get to pulling stage in 3.5 hours? 325* or 225*?

It was five pounds. We weren't going for pulled pork this time, just a moist, sliceable, roast. He made sure the temp didn't go higher than 325 degrees.

For low and slow pulled pork we use the Weber Smoky Mountain because it's easier to add coals to it.

cantaloupe and prosciutto, ricotta cheese. thai basil, vin santo.

clams in mushroom ginger broth. kale from the backyard

branzino stuffed with herbs, lemon, garlic.. tied and grilled on the green egg.

watermelon salad, roasted potatoes, mochi for dessert.

I still make the best salt cod. In thirty minutes tops, no overnight soak. I need to get a pin which says "Salt Cod in 30 Min.s: Ask Me How."

With onions, olives and potatoes one night, then the rest as a brandade.

How? how? how?

Sorry, I missed this. Put salt cod in a pan with plenty of water and bring to a furious boil. Let it boil for five minutes or so, then empty salt cod into a colander and put it under a running tap (preferably hot water). Meanwhile, rinse out the pan thoroughly (you'll probably see salt caked around the rim) and put fresh water on to boil. Put the cod back in the pan and bring to the boil again. Repeat three times. You'll soon be able to flake the cod with a fork while the tap water is running over it.

After three times, taste a bit of the cod. If it's still very salty, continue the procedure, but three times is usually enough. Also, it's nearly cooked by the time you're done, so you just have to mix it with other ingredients (onions, olives, potatoes, eggs, whatever) and finish the dish.

We are trying a new dish this evening at Bite Club.. Playing on the prosciutto and melon thing. We are making a melon soup if you will. took large melon and roasted with onion. pureed and strained.. Added fresh juiced melon.. Going to put a piece of roasted pork belly. We boiled, pressed and cut.. going to crisp up the pork, served in the melon soup.. Maybe an herb or basil oil.

But the damn pork belly is pretty perfect.

we are going to do the parsnip gnocchi w/ lobster, a corn broth, crispy shallots and lobster oil. I use a PDutch Dehydrated Corn along with fresh corn. There are a few lactose in tolerant people so, we are going to make the corn broth with soy milk. we will see how that works out.

making a yellow tail crudo with caviar.

long day.

One can get salt fish (though not necessarily cod) in a lot of supermarkets and Latin grocers. The quality is not always as good as center-cut, really carefully trimmed cod. There might be bones, membranes, etc. It can work for brandade and dishes with more vibrant sauces where the fish will be thoroughly mashed and/or covered by other flavors. But for fried salt cod (desalt, dry off, lightly bread and fry chunks in olive oil, serve with aïoli, or in a classic aïoli with steamed vegetables, potatoes, etc.), where the fish has no place to hide, you need the real thing. Better fishmongers will have it. Last price I remember paying (years ago) was about $10/pound. Still, it's great to keep on hand; I used to always have a piece in the fridge (well-wrapped) to cut off hunks when I wanted fish but fresh was not available.

If you still want to cook it further, beyond Wilf's preparation, you can stew it in a Veracruz-style sauce. Very good that way with chickpeas or red beans.

Speaking of Veracruz-style sauce, that will be my dinner tonight, over sautéed Spanish mackerel fillets. Fried corn, avocado to go with. Salad, as always. Txakolino to drink.

There's an Italian place in our neighborhood that does the most luscious bacalao mantecato venetian style. It's probably more than half olive oil...but what olive oil, and the fish is really sweet and creamy. The owner says he only offers it when he can get bacalao from a specific provider, who salts it for less time than usual, then freezes it. Won't please the authenticity obsessed, more for me.