• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Speaking of things that suck. I stripped the gearbox in my kitchenaid on Sunday. Which then meant I rolled lasagna sheets by hand for my wife's bookclub.

kitchenaid is pretty good about doing repairs at no charge even out of warranty if you contact them directly. when my pasta roller stopped rolling, they just sent me a brand new one

thanks for the tip Splinky.. Making ravioli for 32 tonight and my pasta roller is squeaking and switching sporadically between settings. This is going to be fun. might have to switch to the old atlas hand crank.

thanks for the tip Splinky.. Making ravioli for 32 tonight and my pasta roller is squeaking and switching sporadically between settings. This is going to be fun. might have to switch to the old atlas hand crank.

tweet to them if you can. they are super responsive to tweets

I don't know if this really counts as another use, but in addition to making, I guess, "one pot" meals, I do use a crockpot frequently to prepare large quantities of dried beans (or chickpeas, etc). The seasoning and flavoring needn't be perfect, because I'll batch these up, freeze some of them, and then use them in preparing other dishes.

Yes, I could use canned beans, but the texture is better (less mushy), and for anyone who cares, it's less expensive.

You know you can cook dried beans in a pot too, right??

(joke)

Yeah. But if you're prudent, you don't leave them on the stove when you're not home.

I know the bean thing was a joke, but you can start beans on the range top and then move them into the oven for several hours and set bake time to shut the oven off.

15559080699_3533a0f391_z.jpg

Black olive baguette with carrot "butter", ricotta salata, pistachio and crystallized ginger

Carrot "butter":

sea salt

5 large carrots, peeled, trimmed and sliced into coins

thyme sprigs

2 tsp. honey

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

freshly milled black pepper

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add carrots and thyme sprigs. Lower heat to medium. Simmer until carrots are easily pierced with a fork. When carrots are done, drain, discard thyme sprigs, then transfer carrots to a food processor. Add honey, olive oil and a pinch of black pepper. Process until carrots are a smooth purée. Taste for salt and pepper, then use as desired.

15125004944_a736eb250f_z.jpg

Pan-fried flounder

15559794337_365583d260_z.jpg

Caramelized fairy tale eggplant with spicy tomato chutney and mint

A couple of people round for dinner; a salad of lettuce, cucumber and avocado in a green goddess dressing, then tagliatelle with white truffle, cheese and then poached pears in red wine.

Do you have a recipe for the green goddess dressing? I haven't had it in ages.

What I did was -- half a clove of garlic, a small shallot, tarragon (maybe 30? leaves), some flat parsley, chives, a quarter of a large ripe Hass avocado, a salted anchovy cleaned up, all blended together then juice of a lime, a bit of lemon juice, a tablespoon of vinegar and then groundnut oil whisked. For four people which made slightly too much dressing for the salad which was one bibb lettuce, a cucumber peeled halved deseeded and sliced and the remaining bits of the avocado. It was based loosely on a version I had at chez Panisse.

Thanks, that sounds good. I might try it to use up the avocado in my veg bin. I realize you made it to use all at once, but I'm hoping that it will hold if I make a larger batch. We'll be using boxed/bagged greens starting midweek (as the kitchen renovation gets going and I have to use the bathroom sink for prep), and they can use the help of a flavorful dressing.

Yesterday a giant tomahawk steak, potatoes (steamed, then peeled and browned quickly in butter) plus sweetheart cabbage (the pointy one) blanched and then heated with some cream. Baby teething, toddler was mostly into the potatoes so we had a lot of meat leftover. Turned the rest today (plus some mushrooms) into stroganoff, with spätzle and the rest of the cabbage. 1) I always forget how easy and quick spätzle is to make and 2) that pointy cabbage is a really lovely vegetable 3) kids can put away insane amounts of carbs.

Riesling to drink.