When herbs are at their peak in the summer,I make a lot of salts:lovage,tarragon,etc. and freeze them. And on a chicken roasting kind of snowy day,rub the bird with lots of the salt,shove a few meyer lemons in the cavity,and slow roast,with lots of carrots and spring onions beneath. Ok,nothing revolurionary,but always pleasing..with a nice Chenin Blanc.

• Like 1
  • Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Stir-fry dinner tonight: marinated London broil cut into thin strips, young leeks, cremini mushrooms, Asian cabbage, and noodles. Small wedges of white lotus mooncake from Golden Gate Bakery for dessert.

(Side note: was FINALLY able to get Golden Gate's egg custard tarts for N, which she proclaimed the best she'd ever had. Working less than 10 minutes from the bakery means that it's not a big deal to me when it's closed, which is more often than not.)

Was at Viktualienmarkt for something else and decided to pick up a chicken for dinner. Roasted one of these with lemon, thyme, and garlic in the cavity, rubbed with olive oil, salt & pepper. Green salad and potatoes roasted under the chicken. Bread & a fancy version of Nutella for dessert. All but the chicken from Eataly, which is adjacent to the market. Chicken from my favourite poultry vendor.

The chicken was insanely flavourful. Fantastic meal with almost zero effort.

Given the celebratory occasion (it's starting to feel like spring!!) we opened up a Louis Latour Meursault Blanc 2013.

• Like 1

Ruby grapefruit segments.

McDo-at-home.

39902750835_f2c1a0817f_z.jpg

Side of garlicky kale. Was pleased with the do on both chicken breast nuggets and fries, great exterior crunch with super tender interiors. Husband asked me to serve him anything but kale as veg in the future. The long future.

Panfried salmon, with strips of crisp skin crisscrossed on top.

Toaster-oven crisp-roasted brussel sprouts.

Dhansak and rice

and/or

Penne with tuna, broccoli rabe, capers, garlic, red pepper flakes, pecorino romano

(for daughter who will not eat dhansak, but will eat this -- go figure)

Stichelton

Malted vanilla ice cream

So I picked up one of these...

40094565784_ea589e5524.jpg

And roasted it, just seasoned with s & p. Good bird, right up there with a freshly killed La Pera, in terms of flavor. Much more expensive, however, and sans feet and head, which I like for stock.

I pulled the bird from the oven as soon as the breast was done to my liking, waited a few minutes, cut it up, and then put the leg/thighs back in for another 20 minutes. I find it near impossible to roast a whole chicken (w/o a rotisserie) so that all parts come out cooked to my liking. Significant Eater doesn't mind overcooked white meat, but I do.

I almost roasted it on a vertical roaster, but instead just did it in a roasting pan, along with russets cut into eights. I may go back to the Julia method, which starts the bird on one side, flips to the other side after 20 minutes, and then goes breast up for the final cook...a bit of a pain in the ass, but getting those thighs started before the breast meat might be the answer. Or perhaps browning the bird on each leg/thigh before putting it in to roast.

I find it near impossible to roast a whole chicken (w/o a rotisserie) so that all parts come out cooked to my liking. Significant Eater doesn't mind overcooked white meat, but I do.

Carve the breasts off the bone but keep the skin attached to the rest of the chicken, sous vide (conversely, tandoori) them and then reattach to the bone and roasted skin using meat glue. :)

I find it near impossible to roast a whole chicken (w/o a rotisserie) so that all parts come out cooked to my liking. Significant Eater doesn't mind overcooked white meat, but I do.

Carve the breasts off the bone but keep the skin attached to the rest of the chicken, sous vide (conversely, tandoori) them and then reattach to the bone and roasted skin using meat glue. :)

That's a science project, not dinner in an hour or so! ;)

But I will say, for anyone who really needs to eat a chicken breast, that sous vide-ing said protein gives good results...and for turkey breast, there's perhaps no better method...if your final destination is cold sandwiches.

What I usually do, with the somewhat overcooked breast, is to make chicken salad. Mayo, olive oil, vinegar, capers, onions, celery, etc. all help.

Yes, if you like that texture then it's a very good way to go, especially if raw isn't an option. (and you can serve it to Wilfrid and tell him it's lcc's rabbit)

It's funny, but I def don't like the texture that results when a chicken breast is cooked sous-vide, though I suppose cooking it to a higher temperature would alleviate that; turkey is so much better, though once again, used as luncheon meat, where I guess the texture doesn't matter much.

I just gnawed on a cold leg from that poulet rouge fermier I cooked last night. Much, much darker than, say, Bell & Evans, with lots of chew.