44014243405_c39386f609.jpg

Half of a Joyce Farms poussin (a really great bird which looks like I ripped the wing off to taste as soon as it came out of the oven), cooked in the CSO oven atop those potatoes, and sautéed mushrooms and broccoli, using up stuff in fridge before we head out of town today.

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Miss A is sick.. When she is sick, she requests spicy soup.. I usually make concoctions for her, or will pick up soup in Chinatown on my way home from work..  Yesterday I did a hybrid, it had been some time since my last shop there so, I shopped for soup and groceries...

It is Blue Crab season, there are beautiful large live blue crabs crawling all over the place.  I asked for two , they denied me, not enough.. I was just going to use them for stock but, i have stock at home in the freeze.. Miss A doesn't like eating crab on a good day,  bringing home crabs for her to eat would not have flown.   But, if you feel like cooking crabs, go down today. 

I settled on clams.. 3.99 a pound, they all opened.. I added clams and fish stock and soy sauce, and sweet soy and cilantro, and wine and ginger and garlic all to a pot of water. Let it boil, removed the clams when they were ready.. Let it cook for a while..   I added a few jarred sauces;  fermented bean,sesame, dried chile, sichuan chili paste, sugar  and some sichuan peppercorns.. Basically, just futzing until it taste like i want it to. 

When the stock was at the right flavor, i added pickled sichuan vegetables, pickled bamboo, sprouts, mushrooms, some green maybe baby chinese broccoli, bean thread noodles and added the clams back.

The soup was very well received.  This is like the bottom of the pot,  oh I should take a picture, shot.. 

44929156411_6cea60c12f_z.jpg

• Like 1

Really nothing for dinner.    Heh.   Some frozen leftover spinach-ricotta filling.    ->  Faux ravioli.     Bowties, said filling, layered with scraps of ham, red sauce, white sauce, Parmesan, baked.     Not for guests, but with green salad, ticked the "what's for dinner?" box.   

44132384635_69706626ab_z.jpg

44132387765_9af993d3d6_z.jpg

• Like 1

This week Fairway has a sale on lobster for $5.99 a pound. Mrs. P made
lobster tacos with pickled red onions, homemade guacamole, jalapeno cream cheese with chipotle spices added, and arugula. It’s not pretty but it was delicious :P 

ben2JB3h.jpg

H8bWyHmh.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After an appointment for a procedure I don't recommend unless really necessary, I happened to find myself on the upper east side, and after a quick lunch of a few slices at PQR (really good again), I moseyed on over to Schaller & Weber. Once there, I spied a good looking pork loin roast, the size of which would've been enough to feed a nice family gathering, but since I was only feeding Significant Eater and myself, I asked for a cut off the small end, containing 3 chops, which the butcher was kind enough to do.

I decided to slow roast the loin, and after well-salting/seasoning and allowing the roast to sit in the fridge like that for a good 6 hours or so, it went into a 275℉ oven, for about 2 hours. Here's where timing is interesting; at an hour and 10 minutes, it was registering under 115℉ on an instant read - after that, the temperature shoots up much more quickly per minute than during that first hour...

44468641765_804f42723c_z.jpg

In any event, it was moist and juicy, and this little 3 chop roast still could've fed a small family. The cap was insanely delicious.  And following my standard procedure of plating as if I were in 1st grade home ec...

31507479218_316cb1437f_z.jpg

That's some of the cap and a little bit of a chop. The potatoes (a mix of Yukons and Red Bliss), seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, pimenton and saffron threads, were roasted alongside the pork - they were damn good too. The broccoli, pan seared and steamed in its own juices. To drink, a 2015 Tenuta de Fessina Erse Etna Rosso - went nicely with the pork.

• Like 1

After an appointment for a procedure I don't recommend unless really necessary, I happened to find myself on the upper east side, and after a quick lunch of a few slices at PQR (really good again), I moseyed on over to Schaller & Weber. Once there, I spied a good looking pork loin roast, the size of which would've been enough to feed a nice family gathering, but since I was only feeding Significant Eater and myself, I asked for a cut off the small end, containing 3 chops, which the butcher was kind enough to do.

I decided to slow roast the loin, and after well-salting/seasoning and allowing the roast to sit in the fridge like that for a good 6 hours or so, it went into a 275℉ oven, for about 2 hours. Here's where timing is interesting; at an hour and 10 minutes, it was registering under 115℉ on an instant read - after that, the temperature shoots up much more quickly per minute than during that first hour...

In any event, it was moist and juicy, and this little 3 chop roast still could've fed a small family. The cap was insanely delicious.  And following my standard procedure of plating as if I were in 1st grade home ec...

That's some of the cap and a little bit of a chop. The potatoes (a mix of Yukons and Red Bliss), seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, pimenton and saffron threads, were roasted alongside the pork - they were damn good too. The broccoli, pan seared and steamed in its own juices. To drink, a 2015 Tenuta de Fessina Erse Etna Rosso - went nicely with the pork.

I think it's lovely.   This isn't tweezer food.

• Like 1

I had an unexceptional dish of sambar while out last week,and wanted to do better.... so got involved with making sambar, hoppers and a pumpkin coconut stew. The sambar was good,though not quite my ideal (I love sambar),needed more fried shallots in the spice mix.

I hadnt made hoppers in a long time,worth the effort. Warming meal on a chilly day....

A clean out the fridge, kinda late lunch/early supper...

532106927_2018-10-2108831.thumb.JPG.e68c

Soba noodle salad, with roast duck, corn, peas, tomatoes, celery, carrots, sautéed spinach, avocado.  Dressed with a soy/ginger vinaigrette.

Them's some refrigerator dregs!

• Like 1