Vanessa

Supper

Hold on ... I'm gonna chuck this rice back in the cooker cuz it'll keep it warm, right? 

Is that right ... or am I dreaming ? 

Cuz then I could chill, keep on drinking ... and boy have I been drinking .. as I enjoy my app in peace and I plan my rice main ... and I got options ... trust me ... I got options ...

Pras, chuck it ???

The Princess is up, YES ! 

She told me to relax ... all is fine .. the rice will be fine for a while ... and to think of her while eating the spicy radish ... and so I am

eta - the eggplant in that mustard ... OMFG ... the mustard if FIRE FIRE MOUTH ON FIRE !!!

eta yet again - the Royal One says my rice will be cool aka warm and in good shape ... for the next 24 hours ! 

We're gonna party TONIGHT aka this morning !!!

I gotta get cooking preparing ... 

I’m sorry I let you down buddy. I was making my own dinner and well, I didn’t see the bat signal. Last night was dinner with my mother in law and wife. I was placed in charge. Nothing in the house as I missed the greenmarket this week, I was forced to walk the fish monger.

Mussels are the absolute easiest dish to cook. Sweat an onion, add mussels, a quarter cup of wine and some black pepper cover wait 5 minutes and you are done. That’s level one. Level two, add some thyme in the onions before the mussels drop. Level three add some cream and a shot of Dijon with the thyme. Level 4: do up to level one. Take the opened mussels from the pot and cover the pot on low. Open the mussels and rip off the top shell and leave them on the half shell. Then, add some curry and some creme fraiche and return the mussels back to the pot. That’s what we did last night, it was delicious. Fresh curry powdered from kaluystan. All of this can be made days hours before and heated up in moments.

Whole snapper. Pre heat oven to 400. Make slits, add garlic to slits. Salt inside and out and place on a baking sheet with high sides. Place 6 unopened clams on the pan, add a half a can of crushed tomatoes, scatter some thyme, you can add raw sausage if you have in slices, bacon works, nothing works, add a half a sliced onion, add 5 whole clove of garlic hit with olive oil and cover with foil. Baked for like 30 minutes, broil for 5. You have the dinner I had last night.

As for rice, I find copper pots work best. I usually do onions diced in butter, then splash of wine, then 1 rice to 2.25 liquid. I like tomato paste, a lot of salt and butter in my rice. Saturday night I added shrimp stock, saffron and frozen peas that I served with thin porchops marinated in garlic, cumin and lime and then fried in butter, served with an escarole salad.

Rice cooker, I don’t know. I know people spend thousands of dollars on them. I would rather spend thousands of dollars on dry aged steaks and wine. I guess those people do both though.

• Like 1

I don't know what the weather is like there right now. but if you have leftover rice ideally you should keep it in the refrigerator. then when you want to reheat it if you don't have a microwave put it back in the rice cooker pot with a little bit of water and turn the rice cooker on again. It will reheat quite nicely. But I hope when your rice was still warm and in the pot, he fluffed it all up. Otherwise once it's cold it's hard to fluff it up because it all sticks together in a block

got a microwave, and the Princess advised me (and I have done it) that reheating frozen rice directly in uwave is no worries 

do u agree ? and how long is rice good for in the fridge ? 

reheat time for fridge vs frozen is pretty trivial, no ?

re weather - still summer ... me in shorts (very chic shorts, bien sur ! ) daytime

eta - I'm out of sake ... heading back to gin ... wish me luck ... 

Either is fine. When I freeze rice, though, I only like to eat it with saucy stuff because it seems a little harder. But when I freeze rice, it's usually frozen for a while, and in your case, you'll probably be eating it relatively soon. So yours will probably be better.

In my experience, it'll last a few days in the fridge.

A couple rice batches are now safely frozen 

Daniel, meet me in Japan, I don't want to ruin everyone's Supper here ...

• Like 1

About last night ... and yesterday ...

The Isetan purchase 

TB6KSdf.jpg

The LUXURIOUS yogurt ... had it for bfast today ... sugar was in there ... UGGHHHH not a good thing ... added granola to mask it ... better but not acceptable for Chambo ...

MlvChsI.jpg

Opening up the goods now ... sweets first ... just for research purposes !

Red bean and chestnut ... chestnut costs almost double !

Lots of fine print to read before eating ...

RB7aP1I.jpg

More goods ... front and back ... what are they ?

Not totally totally sure ... I have general idea but it's TBD ...

Others may know for sure ...

t776AhT.jpg

uu1IUmq.jpg

And of course I had backup plans ... disaster can strike at any moment ... military people know this

Full war could break out this very moment ... and then what ! Huh ?

You gotta be prepared in life ... always ... so yes I always travel with a whole bunch of Bellota

That's standard practice ... a couple Kilos cuz I like to give gifts to strangers

It's GREAT idea by the way ... it breaks down cultural barriers quickly ...

People like gifts ... it's human nature ...

rMSiNZ3.jpg

But I didn't use any of the above last night cuz I have other supplies from prior sorties

You guys have no idea what's really going on here ... nor do I ! 

So these were used last night ... like I said, I'm not cooking ... I'm just preparing ... and it's frickin' excellent

And yes, Orik, that's a bottle of Red Burg in the background ... La Pousse d'Or 2005 ! ... I stole the frickin' thing

I did and I feel no shame whatsoever ... and what are they going to do to me anyway ...

Slap me on the wrist ... 

nxdgQDb.jpg

The rest is self-explanatory ...

yv7bsDP.jpg

da1yYrq.jpg

4cNSUV6.jpg

RzL3Vc8.jpg

KEWtaFG.jpg

• Like 1

That looks good! I never would think to freeze rice, I would just dump it out, or make a rice cake, rice ball or rice pudding.

Speaking of rice, I made basmati last night. 1 cup of rice, butter, salt, one bay leaf, a dash of Cinnamon and like 4 drops of lemon juice. 1 scotch glass of rice, 2.25 scotch glasses of water. Cooked for 16 minutes. It was so fragrant and delicious. I also made a chana masala. I threw down garlic, ginger, onion, jalapeño, tomato, I had spice packet from Kalustyan’s, coconut cream, tomato paste and a dash of cinnamon. Cooked that for 40 minutes. Threw in two cans of already cooked beans. (Lord forgive thee) Served with a whole roasted chicken and ginger scallion sauce

From great New York noodle town. Occasionally I stop in and get a large 1/2 pint of their sauce.

I never would think to freeze rice, I would just dump it out, or make a rice cake, rice ball or rice pudding.

But Daniel, you’re a total frickin’ pro in the kitchen … don’t you get that ? You’re not an amateur like us … or me

And we all live different lives … and time is important … very important*

Let me put your cakes balls and puddings in perspective … imagine for a moment that you’re back in grade school and there’s some big bad bully who’s always picking on you and hence want to take a short cut to school to avoid problems … and then Cassius Clay comes up to ya and says “I would never think to take a short cut to school … I’d just look all pretty and beautiful like a monarch, I’d float like a butterfly and sting like a bee and knock his clock out” and you’d say “But Cassius, you’re a total frickin' pro ! You’re hands are deadly weapons ! ” and then imagine that Cassius isn’t clued in to the fact that he’s special in the warrior (or words) department

It’s EXACTLY the same thing, Daniel … am I making any sense ? Got it ?

But furthermore, time is important too

If you got out your calculator you would have noticed that it took 30 minutes to cook that rice on FAST mode. Microwaving rice will take … what … 3 minutes ? Now imagine Chambo’s real life … he’s out and about … doing a million things … gets home at 8 or 8.30 whatever … he needs to deal with this and that … and then of course he has to go hit the gym (which is VERY nearby which is a major Godsend) for a short bit but that’s still over an hour round trip at minimum, assuming it’s just cardio … so now it’s 10pm and time for din din … rice in 3 or rice in 30 … that’s the lay of the land if Chambo is eating in that night

That wasn’t the case tonight … cuz tonight was the local Peruvian at 2 Chome-17-6 … but I do eat in from time to time … especially with Super Typhoons tiptoeing towards me … and for goodness sake, I need to fully amortize these costs ... otherwise I’ll be sick to my stomach

Daniel, I'm exhausted ... I'm hitting the hay ... I'll catch you tomorrow ...

*and time is running out … the second half is about to begin and this is why we got to get the hell out of here before it’s too late … but more on that later

Wow, Cassius Clay, huh, that is high praise.   Though, if I were the boxer, i may still take a different route as the only fight won is a fight not fought.  But either way, I hear you.. Have you ever thought of getting an instapot?  I hear they are good and you can just toss a bunch of stuff in there and presto chango, 47 unattended hours later and you can have a cheesecake or something..  Not to mention beans done quickly and well, i hear it makes a rather horrible grilled cheese.. 

Here are some photos of the last few meals

there was my quick fish.. so quick in fact, i forgot to add paprika which I usually do.. Also, i had to use a jar of fancy tomato sauce as the shop was out of cans of tomatoes..  If you notice the detached eyeball, Jax and I had a fun time with it. 

48880121058_496ffe2856_z.jpg

curry mussels 
48880651936_eaa051bacc_z.jpg

chana and chicken.. the chana was delicious, it needed maybe another 30 minutes for the onions and ginger to cook down but, i didn't have the time.. before i found coconut cream, i was going to add creme fraiche to the chickpeas.   Notice off to the far, my mother in law prepared some mac and cheese from Amy's.. I didn't have the will to fight her. 

48880845122_3ffb143ea8_z.jpg

and this was the steak frites I was serving last night.. I have this special thing I figured out with steaks.. As my bartender said, you broke the code on steaks.. Anyway, I do this weird thing that I asked few fancy chef friends of mine about.. One works at a fancy michelin bistro and he never heard of it.. So, I am pretty proud of myself..  This was also the first steak I made before I turned the temp up on the grill but, this is essentially the steak and fries.. 12 ounce dry aged steak and a shit load of fries for 25 bucks. 

48880846662_fbc636d523_z.jpg

i remember and old expression, it was like, the shoemakers wife goes barefoot or something.. But, the shoemaker doesnt have nice shoes either.. Anyway, this is what I ate after cooking delicious food until about 1 am last night..

I took the chana masala, I took some leftover chicken and cooked on a grill, covered with muenster cheese and a steamed tortilla, then wrapped and pan fried to crisp and used that creme fraiche and some hot sauce... The time stamp on the photo says, 2:26 am... 

48881743996_6943e155a9_z.jpg

i present to you the chana chicken quesadilla 

48881927762_1460f4070d_z.jpg

• Like 1

I have this special thing I figured out with steaks.. As my bartender said, you broke the code on steaks.. Anyway, I do this weird thing that I asked few fancy chef friends of mine about.. One works at a fancy michelin bistro and he never heard of it.. So, I am pretty proud of myself..  

Do tell...

• Like 1

You are going to have to buy the cookbook

No, we had a fancy bartender that was trying to cocktails. I personally hate cocktails. My usual line while I’m behind the bar is, what’s your end game. How about you drink one of our 2O beers and I’ll buy you a shot of whiskey. Though I’ve been drinking our bloody Mary’s lately and they are good and our olives are awesome. But yeh, we dismantled our cocktail list, too sweet, takes too long.