Vanessa

Supper

Vegetarian tacos for the Superbowl (beans, potatoes & rajas, baked tofu). I DIY'd a bain-marie using my grill pan and some small pots. Across-the-hall neighbor lent me her Le Creuset, so I could keep the tortillas warm in an elegant fashion. Not my prettiest meal, but people seemed to like it.

7dlsk97.jpg

CY4xitS.jpg

You know that nervous exciting feeling when you google an original idea you have only to find, you are just a commoner with commoner thoughts...

Well, apparently people have done this before. 

6sXzUm5.jpg

jJZ0Qra.jpg

this was late one evening predawn hours:  Mushrooms, onion, left over grilled chicken, lots of fake mexican blend preshredded. 

Hbf3Byv.jpg

fmY7GAK.jpg

• Like 1

a couple of triple deckers:

turkey chiple decker 

made from humble office kitchen:

CPpKmLw.jpg?1

nvsG0Og.jpg

a classic turkey club

WiX0jFc.jpg

collar green soup made with this really delicious elizabeth chourico.. long cure, pork belly and shoulder.  Pickled cherry pepper vinegar, collards, wine, turkey broth, garlic, onion, potatoes, paprika, salt, pepper. 

GctYQ5I.jpg

so good

w80JQ1I.jpg

• Like 1

chanterelle pasta.. made a mushroom stock, tossed in mushroom in butter. random hard cheese in the house.. maybe secret de compostelle? 

5a7IPC8.jpg?1

marshmallow pancakes

vnUKqdg.jpg

so jax loves marshmallows.. i love pancakes on the cast iron.. if you add marshmallows to pancakes, it adds an even more crispy char to them.. little pockets of burnt sugar... 

DPdqlrX.jpg

Stew for a super-windy day: local, organic lamb shank, RG Scarlet Runner beans, potatoes, kale from our garden, and cremini mushrooms, seasoned with coriander, nutmeg, juniper, and other spices.

My little Oscars spread, which is a remake - mostly stuff recycled from my Superbowl spread. Tacos with rajas and potatoes, shrimp cocktail, hummus & celery, and deviled eggs with pickled coriander seeds. I stole this idea from Union Square Cafe (where I had lunch last week), which serves deviled eggs garnished with pickled mustard seeds.

opj5Wuh.jpg

PS I ate all of this myself. I think I must be bulking up for something, because at the aforementioned visit to USC, I had lunch at a table followed by a dozen oysters at the bar (also those deviled eggs).

you should have made a dorito grilled cheese.. fancy, so good for the oscars, also good for bulking. 

Can the grill cheese be made with Cheetos? I can taste the citric acid in Doritos, and I don't care for it.

Can the grill cheese be made with Cheetos? I can taste the citric acid in Doritos, and I don't care for it.

We were thinking of getting cheetohs and then coating the sandwich in chetoh dust and then deep frying the whole thing. 

Grilled cheese with barbecue potato chips in the middle was big when I was in college.

• Like 1

On Friday Mrs. P made crispy duck leg confit salad with shiitake mushrooms, charred
vidalia onions, romaine lettuce, grapes, radishes, mini peppers, and yellow cherry tomatoes, with a dressing made of mustard, olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper, and topped with fresh shaved parmigiano reggiano. It went great with an excellent Primitivo wine.

Uhxsu7Qh.jpg

aTn2B18h.jpg

J5tXGnRh.jpg

P2DwqB1h.jpg