Vanessa

Supper

She is indeed!

Here, lamb steak with curry butter, beet greens, housemade "rice-a-roni.

49790388863_d710a5a7cf_c.jpg

Ramps, wild mushrooms, egg noodles, bread crumbs, parmesan. Like.

ddBNMOm.jpg

• Like 1

a huge chantrelle that I cooked in a ton of butter before grilling it to get some char, sweet potatoes, and a steak. the mushroom and the steak came out really well.

lighting binchotan takes a long time.

• Like 1

yes, isn’t the kind of venting you need to use it inside only possible for commercial kitchens? although I guess I don’t know about the laws where you’re moving.

I intend to use it once a week and will post pictures next time.

I think per code and any disclaimer you are very right. I'm just not sure if it's true practically.

I'm going to redo the kitchen and plan on finding out how hard that kind of HVAC would be. The house is old so not too tight and there is a flue nearby so it should be not crazy. But who knows?

I've also been eyeing up actual grills. Some cool stuff out there. I'm not a buyer but check out the Heston Blumenthal line - especially the rotisserie

I had many plans, but we had a fines herbes and fresh goat cheese frittata. Could be worse. 

N made a South African stew called potjiekos (named for the potjie, the 3-legged pot its cooked in), and one of the traditional accompaniments, samp and beans. Hominy the closest equivalent to samp that we can get in the US, and since the traditional sugar beans seem to be only grown in SA, N used two RG products: prepared hominy (for posole) and cassoulet beans. The stew itself contained goat, greens from our garden, and sweet potatoes.  The meat was a bit tough, so we mostly had the veg and samp & beans.  She cooked the rest for longer in the oven and then let it sit in the cooling oven overnight.  To drink: WFH IPA from the soon-to-be-closed Cleophus Quealy brewery (see the Beer thread).

I've also been eyeing up actual grills. Some cool stuff out there. I'm not a buyer but check out the Heston Blumenthal line - especially the rotisserie

I probably would have bought the small portable one at the bottom of that line if I'd seen it before I bought what I have.

that rotisserie looks great.

I remember Chris Schlesinger from the East Coast Grill in Cambridge say during a cooking class I attended, “give me a wire grate and two cinder blocks and I’ll out cook anyone’s fancy grill.”

I remember Chris Schlesinger from the East Coast Grill in Cambridge say during a cooking class I attended, “give me a wire grate and two cinder blocks and I’ll out cook anyone’s fancy grill.”

Some years back, Chuck joined a couple of guys helping out a mutual friend work on his new country place.   First night, someone drove into town for steaks.    But no kitchen, no Weber, no egg.   Chuck found a piece of large grid screen, moved a few rocks to form a base and starting with small tinder, progressing to some small oak pieces, soon had coals and threw on the steaks ->  a fine meal.   

The next night, the most fatuous of the group announced, "I'll go into town, and I'll pay for the steaks, but I want HIM to cook again."    It's kind of rocket science, but you don't need a rocket.  

When I was a kid growing up in Forest Hills, we lived above my paternal grandparents, in a two-family semi-detached house (with thanks to Ray Davies for the word semi-detached).

In the "backyard" (okay, it was a concrete backyard, with a little bit of green), my grandfather had built a barbecue setup, out of cinder blocks and what was either a shelf from a discarded refrigerator or discarded oven. Many Schlitzes were drunk in that backyard. And many iced coffees.