1 hour ago, voyager said:

I know this feeling.    I think it is a kind of anorexia one acquires/falls into when on a prolonged. SUCCESSFUL weight loss regime.    I have at times totally lost interest in foods that I was avoiding or limiting.    Eyes on the prize etc.

Also, i don't know if my interest is in eating or cooking.. I miss cooking meat or fish a lot more than I miss eating it.  I mean, even when I am eating what someone else made, I am just thinking about how I would cook it.    And my creativity has been kind of satisfied by still delving into the vegetable thing.. In actuality, i am really concerned with animal rights.. In a perfect world, no one would eat animals.. just the fact that I have lived comfortably, happily, without consuming any animal products proves,  we don't need to kill animals to live.  But, then I am also responsible for perpetuating the violence by operating businesses that are not vegan.. So, is there really a point to being vegan in my home life if I am not going to stop it at my business.. Then it almost becomes that I am vegan out of my own narcissism.   But, then it gives me hope when I make a new vegan menu item, maybe it will help others get there... Who knows, I definitely wish I could be vegan.  I would also love to have a vegan restaurant one day.  I don't know, I am working through it all. 

• Replies 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

My entire kitchen interest is in eating or feeding others.   I do get your point about critiquing food served to me.   it's about getting the best onto a plate.  

I find meat something very easy to skip.    "International poor people's food", starch, veg, herb and spice based, is my natural bent,    I don't like the label veg or vegan because it has been applied to so much pretentious modern cutesy food.   Classic peasant food from every/any corner of the world is usually more interesting.  

(At the moment we're having "bits and pieces" early country lunch: black bean salad, potato salad, leftover sauteed apples, cheese tortellini en brodo, tomato and watermelon gaspacho.  

• Like 1

Mrs. P made a healthy roasted cauliflower steak topped with sautéed red onions, and roasted shishito and mini peppers on the side. I topped it off with spicy Korean Gochujang sauce to give it a nice kick. It was also marinated in balsamic vinegar to give it a nice char.

znGNknWPBTMc2k-tFvVmQYi1LJhGwP1hLng5S6F3o-prTvppX7ApoqYs97I2Csmllv6gBy_ordBdVLwFXN7VUrYfQk9OtIjKwi2NX_LTb6v_2PUyFxClyPt99M0GrDJ5klxPNhpNLw40cBd9sYJHGTEuLnH2gv5EQaHohe6XDaAYvOCPq3As7Sbmmq9AzwTd70qHcPaW3yFl1jVfvaA3CDMV7qyq6UDefmXZPpdSyu1McU6MhQNEFERdR3kb_XXKK7lnH6Y7iztbWfqZbUSVowDtENn9zrVVJt0E-sHR8ZT6VYk0vwZ8Br-n-_QKfOFo2YJVasVHbgKY0OdbFggI1OcN6JHiaSrjknz9YyoOEli6VT9rfTzBXgvrItICEX_9lCFba7IO4_LI1HE9vWRaIHAfbwjmAQuu-ywt1z4QzFHxQoqBNmIoujE_oVxY3OVrMSKnra3X9F8H3UYuNozhQLZytE6BIRFbJKwThSkO_I1fEhNmgyVd0gsCuJxFik8U6231a0fVVwh4zOUGgNXdWoVQZu_j6SqoabryStp-or2U_ipxLf2NcYl-wf2lGz55umjGoxqfI7XAjuc9dMGPbQaFEd9ZkYa7sMklASJl6WX-xn8sD-S8g0a8GhKG8CA-0S3RAHHvEAlJxlA8QHeQteuIvKxGPC6x39XnYF4LOaNcGI2rTThpzgj7Cdsr71Q=s937-no?authuser=0

cUXBY4K3u3wTK6tri-NFg7gn3aCrttZp042HaEHtTZRgG2Acs2NQhf0YwzqhXLlhKKdychZhiu1qyVKtUB9-_B7p5LgVQeetmsOqCEvzEyjSKxnqKj7Kpc14HP_FKJcxQnyiPadDIXMah5calQtiW_FXk8PjPlMoeIG3AjholCpn6-cNpBJyVumLCk-Pb2DtE8TE34Xq6B4T3IPYck3ch7uQbTbJb00dssKj7hfM_gY399OFy2iSofoF_-tDktoNm5XDKK0_RKLT8zIo0xo4QvEioURKLBLtqngVTYQSIejFedmUGtH9ZgYiKwsJhRiMurSCzRezfLbKTgHpJPGKvE7D6JqAVWjePFaIzXukmYDAZQnZ-mAae7ZtMaFEyzS-NnLS5wlg0xu8Aap8QU6ST8avmHuzonW4DFVAaG9uppWvGmw0tmiGw4FqenPhoqHRYPZdhOGyaozeOaynAB8WHQRvIC-MbDHqpkrPUC2xoKvBOdZCpgio4YXthtWzkawcK8u9wOIHRYlwC255J0lejLGTOzKSDbzd1CdW4iUELtEEQObnaYtbdjvvlE8mQtbbrnPE7xKzHLLJdgTDkdciI6OpQp8tTkMN-JUaQsH8-giKM0aS79Xr7RmzsaywkaUlJuAp5k-udEMd0yO6OrH5LA_61SH1H3ZbWaNKpvS4-VO6K4t9XWyZR3xC_c5y1vM=s937-no?authuser=0

F9F-2lk4SRPb3ur3I8VgwJvZwe_et3kBYCekLquarPUZRPOE3cs8r3O_Ue0Vd-efz9Mcq8jnNh8xNFAOd9hXZO1r0gl9DIygX1XEBzuoqpJLW_J-cu0QJuB11ITj2AQ9r1fGju2nf5ullduo47ABHrxVt9S_zKzb4Mr1Kd5j3Zuy0_xuLZpPL0bJjsjq7JV5F9-w8ssb_6Q7xQD2fBe6tSJnNAtYj7EfqaO9CeQkA-rZ2LX9GMOTe6EzkVjSQeYdlRt6ZQ1dOLTQIzvlQtpX9RoLfegIgUZBKHfqNocdQWY-kC-5uS__uT3jOR-inJllU4zmTAz3Va8-nUUTmQU0KjXa5dCJgS3Ao5qCykbb6zb5wLD_zqVZyk5JW8wF-YL2z3bWR4vu8U-dTwOS3YtY8VTHTbOGkxPzdoTE8xB-_5eBt4mHYAsNlrtSirXWIyo8uNeledqkjaQ8zwK1xSBUZ0pWVe4e8B0vZdmmuMa9Fx4g6STEWK8S6Ft5gcAkH0vDb1XbXbKjbaHpepEfFoticRtRLaNxjeUJjW1EO8yRlweU5cPFEu3f5DznnUApvPDdgCBO916XIClqy4J8CyPkU-sM7K5Yq6QShIscGQjF3J3GPxoNp4lERvOv9guGqVbsn_Y7dnUgr1ySGDkbTLI4Pszm8lK5d1pG9U0WdYAjC8PoroJZ1iI1koMG50h4nKo=s937-no?authuser=0

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

In a perfect world, no one would eat animals.

Why would this be perfect? 

Humans have been omnivores, I think, since the beginning of time, or at least for a couple of million years.

10 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Why would this be perfect? 

Humans have been omnivores, I think, since the beginning of time, or at least for a couple of million years.

you can't justify why something is happening by saying, that's the way it's always been...  It is not necessary for humans to eat meat at the rate we do. Or even at all for the most part. Our meat industry is controlled by 5 huge corporations who are operating in an incredibly cruel and disgusting manner.    

My attitude is that if one can afford it, there's a middle ground between eating factory-farmed meat (thus perpetuating those horrible practices) and going vegetarian/vegan.  Eat less meat, and make sure what you do buy has been raised well.  Same goes for fish, if one mostly eats shellfish and smaller, more plentiful fish like sardines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We, Americans, have no right to eat as much meat as we do.   I am appalled at meat portions in restaurants and even in recipe serving sizes.    We are a society of hogs.    It's a Catch 22 situation.   When I've complained in restaurants about portion size, the answer is always that their clients demand that size.    And the client sees a pound of beef on his plate and that becomes his default serving size.   

I'd even argue that's one of the reasons we tend to use such shit ingredients in this country.  Good ingredients wouldn't seem so expensive if you served reasonable portions of them.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I'd even argue that's one of the reasons we tend to use such shit ingredients in this country.  Good ingredients wouldn't seem so expensive if you served reasonable portions of them.

This is exactly my argument when friends/others ask how I could possibly pay (say $10 for a pound of pasta, or $30 for a chicken). I hopefully am supporting good farming practice, good production practice, good small independent farms, etc. etc. And then, properly portioned, that pasta is less than $2 a serving; the chicken makes me 3 meals x2. Etc. Etc.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Run of the mill ice cream is a prime example.    Eat a pint and it's been no great pleasure.    Several tablespoons of great artisan or excellent homemade and you're content.