1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Rarely it works, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't.   But, I also would say the same thing about just about every meal in the frozen  section, or just about every processed product that contains meat too. 

This is definitely true!

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

I genuinely don’t feel badly about eating meat and seafood. I never have. It’s the way the world has been eating for thousands of years. I don’t think that makes me a bad person. I do things to support causes I believe in, I just choose not to share those efforts, particularly here as they aren’t food related. 

I guess my question and I realize this is a nosy one is why, after eating meat, did you suddenly stop? I enjoy your posts and I think it’s fair to say you have definitely consumed more meat than I likely ever will. Do you miss meat? 

Lentil & bulgar mujaddara with fried onions. Okra fried then stewed with tomato, onion and lots of olive oil. A cucumber & yogurt salad. The kids actually liked the mujaddara, but wouldn't try anything else. Baby steps. 

So here's a thing: this being Bavaria, I know several people who will not eat any meat except game they've hunted themselves. Too many deer/boar endanger forests, and it's a pretty quick death if you know what you're doing. 

27 minutes ago, small h said:

Cod & spinach chowder. I could eat this a few times a week. Might make it with bechamel next time instead of heavy cream, because it came out too classy and not Campbell's Chunky enough.

I think bechamel in soup is unfairly maligned! 

Outlier feast.    Husband asked for a "bunned hamburger".   I don't do buns.    So I enjoyed a rare puck with mayo, catsup, mustard, dill pickle, red onion.    Was inexplicably delicious.   

IMG_0466.jpg.777d438db9b0dc6a16c0e6bfb1c71e30.jpg

Blistered green beans

IMG_0464.jpg

• Like 1
22 hours ago, mitchells said:

It was let's throw in whatever we have in the fridge congee night. Used a stock made with the top of leeks, mushroom stems and ginger for cooking the rice. Then some starting to shrivel mushroom caps, leftover cooked kale, scallion First time I ever used that and it was magical. Really improved the flavor. 

Let's talk about thick soups.  Inspired by @mitchells...

1593418831_Congee10-29.thumb.jpeg.d5b359e5706877826ac2a0fc37a74817.jpeg

Made my first-ever congee. Thai rice, probably 50/50 just made vegetable stock and water. Happened to have a cooked pork chop from the night before, so I threw the bone in to cook along with the rice. At the end, sliced up some of the chop, threw in some cooked mushrooms and onions, and topped with chili oil and scallions. Quite good.

To accompany...

508560722_Scallionpancakes10-29.thumb.jpeg.df703f8d52dc973be83eaf4ff97d5fe3.jpeg\

Scallion pancakes. But not the Chinese style knead the dough and then shallow fry. These are more based on the Korean style (pa jun) and are made with more of a pourable batter (pancake, right?).

• Like 3