Last night: chicken with green olives, lots of garlic, white wine, prunes, and orange peel, served over quinoa.  Avery Brewing's Old Jubilation English-style winter ale (8.3% ABV) to drink.

Tonight, post-Super Bowl: classic Jiggs' dinner, made with pork jowl rather than corned/salt beef. 

It does feel a little odd to be eating such hearty food when it's 68 degrees and sunny.

• Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Cioppino with mussels, clams, shrimp and monkfish. Spiced up with some calabrian hot pepper spread. With grilled bread of course. Then I had to watch Brady win which took away from dinner. 

The only plus side was I had TB 1  KC 9 for the box pool I was in and collected $750 on my $10 investment. 👍

• Like 1

Well, it was our anniversary yesterday (23 years!), and normally we'd be somewhere not here. So I did something for the first time, something only an avowed Marxist might do; I ordered from Regalis! Caviar, steaks, truffles, you name it, it got delivered.

Only problem is that I made pizza for lunch, so my wife of 23 years (aka Significant Eater) wasn't too hungry for dinner - hence quashing the plans I'd made for a super supper. This'll be good, I'm sure, whenever we eat it...

IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.4c3a4d7e47acab97d998ec60ee88aecb.jpeg

Well, she was a little hungry. I'd made some paté (looked like Kranmar's mystery appetizer) and also these:

IMG_3514.thumb.JPG.91b71eb7a2ad23c7e6a99e3f50af18d0.JPG

Parmesan crackers, which are really good.

And this:

2083364569_IMG_35362.thumb.jpeg.193e61b685deae4516d15dca89901f7b.jpeg

Truffle risotto. It hit the not-too-hungry spot.

• Like 1

I realize I should've done better on the truffle slices and used a perfectly round piece, but I'd grated some to use in the risotto, leaving me with a less than perfect orb. I still have another few meals (and truffles) to get my shit together. I really wish I had a Joyce Farms chicken so I could slide slices under the skin.

Oysters Rockefeller

File_000(1).jpeg.4f8da57280ae57302351848107b38730.jpeg

and scallops with mushrooms

File_000.jpeg.beeb7e27c6bd2cd2f1ec9f4668de32ed.jpeg

I don't think I've ever had Oysters Rockefeller, but American Pride had a 12/$10 special on oysters, and I thought I should branch out and try cooking them, and also I had a mess of spinach and parsley. It's good! And a pain in the ass to make! (At least the first time, when you don't know what you're doing, as I did not.)

• Like 1

It being a celebratory week, and without being able to celebrate as we generally do, I stepped out of my comfort zone and ordered delivery of ready-to-eat food (i.e. with no work on my part) for the first time since all hell broke loose. In this case, sushi. I first tried to order from a place on the upper east called Sushi Noz - seems to be a fan favorite. So I loaded my cart, got all the way to the checkout point included a ridiculous tip and delivery fee totaling like $75, only to be laughed off as being too far away for them to deliver. Seems we're not in their 2 or 2.5 mile radius - whatever. Hey look - even Russ & Daughters (before Brooklyn) gave me a hard time coming to the south side of Grand St.!

In any event, searching and searching (I was gonna bother @Orik, but I figured he was busy burning in his new oven), I found a place which had opened 2 weeks prior to shutdown, and seemed to be well liked...Nakaji, on (or off) Bowery. Not a lot of choice - sushi or sashimi or chirashi - made my life easy. It didn't disappoint...

IMG_3540.thumb.jpeg.0d20bc045b3fe1a796002de49fd766a6.jpeg

Pieces were a little large, but I'd read they're cut a little larger than in-house, so when they get delivered, they're in the same condition as when they left the restaurant. Significant Eater had the chirashi box on the left upper, and I had the sushi sashimi combo. quite nice - and it appears as if they are using partially milled rice, which I found interesting. Only real disappointment is that I didn't know what like 1/3 of the fish is. Now I want to try Sushi Noz, but I'll have to do a pick up with that stuff. And since they do have an a la carte menu, Sig Eater will be happy with some rolls and some rather less challenging items.

Moving on to using some more of what I'd ordered from Regalis (and shopped at Essex Market), last night's simple dinner...

IMG_3545.thumb.jpeg.f0991321fb655e1f94e81fcf57263a79.jpeg

Braised endive.

IMG_3546.thumb.jpeg.0f196fbfa0208ca910c2618c32b3a47a.jpeg

Spaghetti with black truffles and parmesan. So good. So easy.

Now of this dish, Significant Eater mentioned how she could get used to truffles (and me preparing them, evidently). So I'm like - "Hey - these things are expensive. Get a job!" Then I'm like: - "Oh, you're the one with the job." 

The last of the truffles will be used in a brouillade. And I can't wait.

8 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

The last of the truffles will be used in a brouillade. And I can't wait.

Always the best last use of the truffles.  We are melancholy when it is gone. 

We ordered truffles from Baldor for New Year's Eve. They were underwhelming and possibly past their prime. To their credit, Baldor gave me full credit. I have found their customer service to be truly excellent since the beginning of their home delivery service. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mitchells said:

We ordered truffles from Baldor for New Year's Eve. They were underwhelming and possibly past their prime. To their credit, Baldor gave me full credit. I have found their customer service to be truly excellent since the beginning of their home delivery service

Oh sorry about that. I might just have to do one more truffle thing from Regalis before the season is done. This 60+ gram truffle was in really good condition (at least until I started fucking with it!).

n the country, realized that the several sausages I'd planned for last supper were still in town.   Pizza.   Cheap and dirty, Margueritas, baked on a thin aluminum cookie sheet on ancient gas range oven floor.    Best bottom crust I've ever achieved, wood burning oven included...

For those whom care, this was actually almost round.  Fault bad camera angle.    Or...

847225545_ScreenShot2021-02-14at6_15_16PM.thumb.png.a634634880becdcef9538b913f6cd0e5.png

Saturday: homemade pizza.  N made the dough and tomato sauce; I grated/shredded the mozzarella (a mixture of fresh whole-milk and supermarket low-moisture part-skim cheeses) and added the toppings (mushrooms, fresh oregano, parmesan, and black olives (on N's side).

Yesterday: white chili with ground turkey, RG Yellow Indian Woman beans, oven-roasted tomatillos, and canned New Mexican green chiles. Served with skillet cornbread from the "Jubilee" cookbook.

Remember that movie Conspiracy Theory, in which Mel Gibson's character was compelled to purchase a copy of Catcher in the Rye every so often so the CIA could keep tabs on him? Possibly I have this sort of wrong, but in any case, I have been making way too much soup lately, and I'd like to blame this compulsion on someone. Case in point, vegetarian pozole. It came out good, which is fortunate, 'cause I now have three quarts of the stuff. If you're in downtown Manhattan and want a pint or two of pozole, lemme know and I'll hook you up. It's got hominy (duh), tomatillos, tomatoes, guajillo and ancho peppers, and other things you'd expect.

pozole.jpeg.5ddb316473f1f62d72c976a2e7ac5311.jpeg

Soondubu jigae with homemade radish kimchi, which I had to eat at my desk instead of in the living room like a human because SOME PEOPLE think it smells bad. It smells exactly how it's supposed to smell, like fermentation and garlic and gochugaru. So there.

File_000.jpeg.58a2394307cb5bebc035ecf03abc4405.jpeg

Sauteed shrimp coated with David Chang's Spicy and Tingly salts with pea shoots and baby red choi. Cucumber in a spicy ginger sesame sauce.   Some really pretty lettuce I forgot the name of with ginger dressing.