7 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

If I could find a good pretentious "upscale" Kaiser roll supplier, I'd be that supplier's bitch.

They're pretty easy to knock up on your own. The dough's a cinch to work with, and it only needs two hours total rising time (less if your kitchen isn't as chilly as mine).

• Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

There's a Kaiser roll stamp?????????

You didn't know?

7 hours ago, small h said:

They're pretty easy to knock up on your own. The dough's a cinch to work with, and it only needs two hours total rising time (less if your kitchen isn't as chilly as mine).

Yeah, that's happening.

I wonder if the Moishe's bakery still open on Grand has kaisers.

The best bet (imo) would be Orawasher's? Maybe.

Weather was glorious on Friday so I biked down to Viktualienmarkt for coffee beans, and ended up getting a fancy French chicken as well. Roasted it tonight, gravy, roasted orange and yellow carrots with Balsamico, and polenta with goat cheese. 

I made my dozenth attempt to replicate Congee Village's bean curd with seafood royal style, which is a lot like Amazing 66's tofu seafood casserole. And I failed yet again. What the hell is in there that I can't figure out? It's not fermented shrimp paste, 'cause I tried that. It's not a shit ton of ginger, 'cause I tried that, too. (It's probably some sort of meat broth, in which case I guess I just don't want to know.)

IMG_3606.thumb.jpeg.507ae99036ebb0e23b1e83129b3334dd.jpeg

This was made with a very small black bean from RG (don't see it on his website right now), the name forgotten. But the beans just hold their shape it seems no matter how long they cook for. That's house-made crème fraîche, too.

14340B5A-537A-4411-B87A-0B371BE143AB.thumb.jpeg.468802ecf6a3272dd9a69ec442721c9d.jpeg

Reading a lot of Olney/Beard/Child/Pepin et al. has sent me into a braising frenzy, I guess. But it really is a great way to cook some vegetables which we don't usually associate as side dishes...witness this celery, which gets so soft and practically creamy.

South African-style pancakes for dinner and dessert.  The dinner pancakes were filled with a ground beef-pea-chutney mixture; the dessert pancakes were filled with a French chestnut cream (got a tube of it ages ago) and a quick mixture of cocoa powder, butter, and bittersweet chocolate.  We had Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale to drink with the latter.

Manicotti, trying to use up the flat noodles I made for lasagna (done), along with the ricotta (done) and some getting-long-in-the-tooth parsley (not yet, but almost). And a tomato and avocado salad, because the cilantro was getting pale. I sort of like the challenge of having to cook stuff so it doesn't go bad, but then again, I sort of don't.

F4708A52-AF8F-4878-91B3-B1146FC0C6D6.jpeg

5 hours ago, small h said:

Manicotti, trying to use up the flat noodles I made for lasagna (done), along with the ricotta (done) and some getting-long-in-the-tooth parsley (not yet, but almost). And a tomato and avocado salad, because the cilantro was getting pale. I sort of like the challenge of having to cook stuff so it doesn't go bad, but then again, I sort of don't.

Yesterday I made a casserole with leftover polenta, a tomato sauce with half a leftover onion, the last garlic clove, two leftover roasted peppers, a handful of black olives that needed using up, some fontina cheese. It was good but I definitely know what you mean. 

The kids had turkey sandwiches and apples. 

I've been getting very good at not throwing shit out. Occasionally, some herbs get tossed, and I like to refresh the supply weekly, with my main go-tos being parsley, cilantro, chives (plus dill, but more in summer). I figure they're cheap enough that throwing away 1/4 of a bunch won't cause my ancestors to roll over in all their graves. Basil doesn't keep that well in my kitchen, but surprisingly, Thai basil does.

I always make more rice than we'll eat, so I'll have leftovers - the fried rice game is getting good, and is another great way to use a little of this and a little of that.

Oh - last night was donabe rice with ginger, hijiki, Alaskan salmon and halibut. Blanched broccoli with a sesame paste dressing - I know there's a word for it, I just don't feel like looking.

White Beans au Vin, from a recipe that appeared in the Times' At Home section a while back.  Used RG cassoulet beans, as it was the only type of dried white beans we had (the Bean Club shipment is on its way).  Even though the recipe calls for red wine, it tasted a lot like the white wine/shallot/parsley treatment that N uses for shellfish.  N also used both vegetable broth per the recipe and the bean broth.  My only regret is we didn't think to pick up a baguette for the sauce.