Made the first thing out of the cookbook My Lisbon from Nuno Mendes: you boil potatoes then smush them, toss with garlic cloves, olive oil and bake at 200c for 30 minutes, then top with cooked octopus legs and bake at 220c for another 10 minutes until crispy. Then a dressing of more garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and lots o parsley. (Actually cilantro but I had parsley.)

This is exactly the sort of recipe I love. It takes a bunch of things you’ve had a million times, and just combines them in a totally different way. Great investment considering I picked it up on a whim from the discounted pile in a museum bookstore. 

With it we had a blood orange, red onion and black olive salad. Also some sliced chorizo.

• Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

N drew inspiration from various sources and made a bread salad with roast chicken. We got some good sourdough from a local bakery, and N dried the croutons out slowly in the oven before dressing the bread (don't remember everything in the dressing besides wine and whole-grain mustard) and adding roasted shiitake mushrooms, radishes, and romanesco broccoli  The chicken was done simply, with fresh rosemary and thyme in the cavity.  Greens part was just arugula.   To drink, we had some of the leftover sauvignon blanc from the night before (it takes us a while to get through a bottle of wine).

• Like 1

More from The Local Butcher Shop.    Smoked bratwurst, a really tricky thing to source.   A seemingly easy target for naming ersatz product, since so many we buy are mediocre.    These were superb!    Enormous.   I cooked up two, split one for first service.   (Pictured is 1/3 sausage) That was plenty for me, but husband made inroad on the second.    With butter braised potatoes and choucroute (fresh sauerkraut, onion, garlic, white wine, duck fat, juniper berries and peppercorns).    A hearty splat oif sweet onion mustard alongside.

975640769_ScreenShot2021-03-01at5_54_46PM.thumb.png.50bcbe05d8306a5e8d7ec6d9e7ff4828.png

• Like 1

Significant Eater asks...

2083389426_Hatchredchilies03-01-21.jpeg.768d434396d4f217b1442a59ed399f79.jpeg

For red chile sauce made with red chilies from Hatch, NM...

1148934214_Redchilisauce03-1-21.jpeg.6767e4f94cbb6a983cf46416e7d2aba8.jpeg

Melting a little (okay 1.5 lbs.) pork fat in background. Cause when you fry the shit up (both the sauce, and then the pork), you wanna use pork fat...

2029000430_Carneadovadapintobeans03-01.jpeg.84244b2743c07898bc82d310fe7a2013.jpeg

In carne adovada with @rancho_gordo's pinto beans.   Some shitty from the freezer corn tortillas, and a green salad, alongside.

• Like 1

Linguine Fra Diavolo. Whenever I make this, I make too much, and I always tell myself I'll only eat half. And then I eat it all. This is why I should do more cardio. Or any cardio.

diavalo.jpeg

I'm really happy that I've been able to add puttanesca to my very picky kids repertoire over the last few months. really wish they I could get them to eat visible seafood.