13 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I am very very far from being an expert in Kashrut.  But how is schmaltz in matzoh brei unKosher?

I think she's being facetious. Afterall, it's normally made with butter.

• Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

9 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

I think she's being facetious. Afterall, it's normally made with butter.

Actually, it was a joke on the word "brei" being spelled in the original post as "brie", like the cheese.  I think I was punchy last night.

Our most recent supper was sort of a warm salad, with RG French green lentils mixed with broiled salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts and broccoli, and arugula.

Easter dinner:

• Braised lamb shanks in a slightly sweet gravy.  I think N added raisins.  There was definitely rosemary involved too.
  • Potatoes roasted with duck fat in the cast iron pan
  • Steamed home-grown carrots
  • Home-grown snap peas with mint, augmented with farmer's market shelling peas
  • To drink, my first beer in 8 days: Almanac's The Meeting Place, a very dry farmhouse ale brewed with Brettanomyces (collaboration with Blackberry Farms Brewing out of Tennessee). Ours was bottled in October 2019.

The mini's and I were planning to do a lasagna with homemade spinach pasta. But then the weather was nice so we went for a hike, and had lasagna with dried pasta instead. Worse: the bolognese was from a jar, but it's made by a local organic farm and honestly I can't spot much of a difference between their version and Marcella's, which is what I would otherwise make. 

Easter Monday involved Momofuku style pork buns, which basically just means roasting a giant slab of pork belly and pretending I'm a genius. 

• Haha 1

A Marcella-ish recipe, tweaked a bit...

IMG_3879.thumb.jpeg.9170430d8b3b169bdac1bf9a5659c8dd.jpeg

Penne with porcini (dried), morels (dried), shitake and cremini.

After the 'shrooms are cooked down (but first, onions and garlic in butter and olive oil are sweated down), white wine is used to deglaze, and then a few anchovies and a bit of tomato (and some porcini/morel soaking liquid) are added. The whole is covered and simmered for another 10 minutes or so. That really bumps up the flavor. No cheese is suggested in the recipe - my assumption is the whole seafood with parmesan doesn't really work, although in this case, once the anchovies are melted down, who would know?  In any event, without cheese the pasta is a bit looser and actually quite enjoyable.

Mediterranean salad with assorted lettuces, pickled sumac onions, grilled eggplant and carrots,  cherry tomatoes,  merguez sausage and red quinoa with a harissa vinaigrette.

IMG_3888.thumb.jpeg.80f68fd1c9931de3a6dfce7290022036.jpeg

Made these beautiful duck legs for dinner last night. (Bonus is 300 ml of duck fat).

Alas, we were too full from lunch to enjoy them, so only had the sides.

Knishes from Katz's and sautéed asparagus.

"Just a teaspoon of mornay makes the chard stems go down, the chard stems go down, the chard stems go down..."

Backstory, husband, besot by the pre-Easter TV ads, requested a Honey Baked Ham.   So we picked up a half ham yesterday.    Tonight's dinner = a portion of ham, a shared baked yam and chard stem gratin.

Said husband had "firsts" of ham, half of his share of yam, and thirds on chard stems.