Olive oil roast chicken with pan gravy, braised radishes, wild garlic „aioli“. Butter sautéed peas and instant mashed potatoes for the heathens. Spring tho. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Stove-to-Table -> no pics recently.

Last night, guac and home fried corn tortillas; bloody grilled strip steak, Bearnaise, garlicky cavolo nero.

Tonight, cucumber carpaccio with "house-ranch"; Calabrese sausage and prawn pasta in spicy vodka sauce.  

Feel pretty good after painting bedroom windows which = 72 mullioned panes.    Took two days.    DONE!  

Challenged myself to use most of the stuff I got at the Greenmarket today. So! Monkfish roasted with ramps and asparagus, olive/chive/cinnamon basil over top (adapted from this). And a boiled potato.

fish.jpg.eb5d89afecdc381d9d1158c67d0d4fec.jpg

Pea shoot salad with radishes, cucumbers and feta.

salad.jpg.e5afe7534150e5682c7f511051b69cc8.jpg

I was very pleased with all of it.

• Like 1

198024876_Pennewithtomatoesandasparagus04-23.thumb.jpeg.7d4e22de4e058f250c07e0ba87035172.jpeg

Three-tomato penne with asparagus stems. 

Don't ask...

635187102_Shrimp04-23.thumb.jpeg.876f77da87c43523c928caa67bca416a.jpeg

OK I'll tell. Had 4 leftover shrimp from the night before. I put 2 on each plate and started pouring some of the leftover sauce (olive oil, garlic, sherry, paprika, lemon) from the takeout container they were stored in in the fridge over them. And it was dropping into these nice droplets until those last few. I'm a pro!

Something I didn't expect though - the shrimp were almost tastier than the night before after sitting in their cooking juices for a day. Should've called them something fancier, like shrimp escabèche.

14 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

198024876_Pennewithtomatoesandasparagus04-23.thumb.jpeg.7d4e22de4e058f250c07e0ba87035172.jpeg

Three-tomato penne with asparagus stems.

635187102_Shrimp04-23.thumb.jpeg.876f77da87c43523c928caa67bca416a.jpeg

A portion of each, please.   

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Many thanks.   Still in the breaded and fried mode, chicken schnitzel, steamed potato, butter braised zucchini.

IMG_0999.thumb.jpg.6ae297025bc6f53e7104a110bc00114e.jpg

• Like 1

Internet recipes, a cautionary tale. My goal was to cook some mushrooms and some spinach, 'cause I have a mess of both. I was suspicious of this recipe, but I gave it a shot, and it was not terrible.

mushrooms.jpg.7f21647f7415be16ed04168208f9dc58.jpg

And I knew in my soul that a Martha Stewart recipe that called for throwing the shrimp in with the pasta during the last minute of cooking would not turn out well. (I can't even find it online now. It must have been on the dark web or something.) It was okay, except - obviously! - the shrimp were grievously overcooked.

shrimp.jpg.2639688ceecf4ebe9622f5184ac402bd.jpg

8 hours ago, small h said:

And I knew in my soul that a Martha Stewart recipe that called for throwing the shrimp in with the pasta during the last minute of cooking would not turn out well. (I can't even find it online now. It must have been on the dark web or something.) It was okay, except - obviously! - the shrimp were grievously overcooked.

This one?

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook linguine according to package instructions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking, add shrimp; cook until opaque throughout. Drain pasta and shrimp and return to pot. Toss with olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and spinach. To serve, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil.

Terrible. Maybe if you have a shrimp the size of a lobster.

I've been having great luck with shrimp lately; one way I cook them is sort of similar to a method often used in Chinese cooking for whole chickens. (When I want to make it easy for my fellow diner and peel them before serving, that is). So, make a nice, tasty court bouillon poaching liquid using the shells (really a shrimp stock). During the 30 or 40 minutes for that stock to finish, brine the shrimp (you'd be surprised how much the short brining adds to both the flavor and texture of the shrimp). 

Drain shrimp. Bring the stock up to a rolling boil, toss shrimp in, turn heat off, give a stir, cover. (Obviously, they should all be submerged). I take one out after a minute and a half or so to check doneness, but they won't take much longer than that (depending on size).  Drain them (don't throw out the stock!), and yeah, they can be shocked, but I don't always find that necessary.

Chicken cooked in this manner (may take longer than 90 seconds) comes out amazingly juicy also. Though some (hello, Sig Eater!) may request more fire.

Thanks for the useful tutorial, joe.   I will use that next time I am making a cocktail or shrimp platter.

I always shell shrimp because husband "doesn't do that".   When I'm adding shrimp to a sauce or making a big fish soup, I run them through salt, pepper and olive oil, then grill them first, cooking them about half way through.    Just sear one side, the other, then tilting them with tail up.   Great flavor and superb texture, never overcooked.