2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

This one?

Yes, exactly. I have no idea why I suddenly couldn't find it (well, I have some idea, as evidenced by the several empty bottles in my recycle bin). At least I didn't follow the three-minute instruction, but even a minute was too much.

And thanks for the shrimp idea. I have brined them before, but I don't think I've ever poached them.

• Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Butter-braised green asparagus, steamed new potatoes, the last of the wild garlic aioli, and turkey schnitzel. The kids like asparagus now - the butter probably doesn’t hurt. 

Not the healthiest thing to snack on while cooking, but...

426200884_Gribines04-25.thumb.jpeg.5319b26a28eb210f59dfcc1f998f6f9e.jpeg

Gribenes. (I needed the schmaltz!)

82205783_Chickenbraisedinblackbean04-25.thumb.jpeg.4e808b0f430add3c8695dbb20357e874.jpeg

Hacked chicken braised with fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, Shazoxing wine, dark soy, sugar (onion and red bell for effect).

Sichuan smashed cucumber salad and Jasmine rice to accompany.

Yesterday, on my way home from Rusk/NYU after a number of imagings of my back, decided cooking dinner was not going to be in the cards, so I stopped on the walk from the bus stop (yeah, I actually took the bus, which doesn't thrill me, but considering I'm well past fully vaccinated and masked, what the hell) to the apartment.

4C3ADD60-04C9-462D-B668-64F8EA1CE775.thumb.jpeg.63d24ed559367922b7e4175da7d6887f.jpeg

And bought 2 bags of frozen dumplings from a place called King Dumplings (Hester & Allen Sts.), a true mom & pop dumpling shop. That's 50 pork and chive dumplings, and 50 chicken and other stuff dumplings - 25 cents each. Now, are mine necessarily better? Yeah, I think so, because I probably use better quality pork and stuff in the filling, but I do use purchased wrappers from Twin Marquis (fresh); they're a little thinner than these hand-made wrappers, to be sure.

And for dinner, made a big salad.  Along with...

IMG_4029.thumb.jpeg.1335c7b77881e2bf037e2c84607744f8.jpeg

Both kinds of dumplings, gussied up by serving them in a bit of homemade brodo,  with freshly made ginger/scallion/chili/sesame stuff. Quite satisfying.

• Like 1

Dragged out the Kitchenaid pasta attachment to make spaghetti for this shrimp ramp-y, which is Epicurious' pun, not mine, so please direct your angry calls and letters to them. I tried to find a recipe for beef ramp-y, but I couldn't, for some reason.

Also asparagus Caesar again, and that's it for the asparagus for now.

496FFDC8-3912-42C3-BBED-05DC1C7CA29E.JPG.d47b0d847ea1e9c5563f9dbf01a7f9b5.JPG

Fluke with a mushroom/shallot crust, creamed spinach and cilantro/lime rice. Kinda brought me back to Gallagher's Steakhouse on the (I think) Asbury Circle, c. 1975.

IMG_7415.jpg.9aec9004ba687f0ba1c75f55e3337cd3.jpg

• Like 1

I'm embarrassed by this "plating."

IMG_4051.thumb.jpeg.cc5dc8e0f69c44a21bbe8b075c99c0f4.jpeg

We may also have come to a revelation; both of us seem to like the green asparagus more than the white. Is that wrong? I mean this white asparagus traveled all the way from Holland, so there's that. And if we were in, say, Holland, or Germany, or Austria or Belgium eating white asparagus, we'd probably like it a real lot, but we're not, so....in any event, green and white asparagus, alongside sliced Mangalica. Drizzled with butter and olive oil. The Mangalica from D'artagnan is really great.

IMG_4053.thumb.jpeg.f5402f85655d62becc999d48cffa1d42.jpeg

Fusilli with shrimp, garlic and chives.