One of the food emails I get every day gave me an idea. A bunch of random leaves from the balcony, plus basil, plus feta and cream cheese and sungolds. And a mountain of pasta, because apparently I don't care how fat I get.

IMG_9711.jpg.16eaefdbfedc0b78b284fa065d4a1ec3.jpg

• Replies 21.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Early autumn supper: polenta with Parmesan, topped with sautéed to crisp ceps and a tiny bit of garlic. Bellota ham on top. Kids got pears and grilled cheese with turkey, but they also ate the bellota. 

We use cloth napkins because 1. it’s nice, 2. found some from La Redoute that don’t need to be ironed and 3. additional laundry is marginal given starting point is two kids.

1 hour ago, Behemoth said:

additional laundry is marginal given starting point is two kids.

My problem is getting them as clean as they get from a commercial laundry a restaurant might use (I think they use lye and boil them or something).

I do have black cloth napkins, which don't show nearly as many stains.

I made butadon yesterday, and ate it in a plain white Corelle cereal bowl.  

I hope some of use chargers sometimes. We have some nito chargers which we occasionally use, but it's mostly nito placemats.

I love using fine china, and have a few mismatched pieces which get used every day. It caused a ruckus at a previous workplace when one of my coworkers asked me why I had a bone china plate in the backseat of my car and I explained I ate my breakfast while driving to work. He enjoyed telling others of his discovery, and I had to repeat many times, "It's just a plate! It's just a plate!"

Our "real" fine china is hidden away somewhere and never gets used because we've already broken too many pieces. It has my grandfather's signature on it, so it's irreplaceable. 

4 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

My problem is getting them as clean as they get from a commercial laundry a restaurant might use (I think they use lye and boil them or something).

We wash at 40C. Never had a problem. 

i have never owned a charger. Or super nice plates for that matter. 😢

I have some pretty big plates. I can call them chargers, I guess, if I feel like it. As for nice plates, H & I once had dinner at the home of a guy who served us on plates that had been in his family since the 18th century. I've never been so terrified in my life, because I can break things pretty much by looking at them. Needless to say, I have no nice plate. If I ever did, I wouldn't have them anymore.

• Like 1

My parents are downsizing in preparation for a move to a retirement community, and I'm going to be taking their wedding china setting for 12.  (Note: not given to them by a wedding guest, but acquired by them during their honeymoon in St. Thomas.) It was never used until we started getting a crowd for Thanksgiving and needed that many place settings.

10 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

For years I've collected meter square initialed linen napkins in France, usually for a pittance at flea markets, dowry pieces that were "too good to use".    Guests love them, and they wash beautifully: Tide and a scoop of Oxiclean.   No stains, even with barbeque and bouillabaisse.   Yes, I iron them, but you can also just hang to dry and fold seriously.     No way would/could I send then out to laundry.   Neighborhood French laundry charges between $15 and 20 per napkin.   I'd rather put that into meat or wine.

On 9/22/2021 at 3:09 AM, voyager said:

For years I've collected meter square initialed linen napkins in France, usually for a pittance at flea markets, dowry pieces that were "too good to use".    Guests love them, and they wash beautifully: Tide and a scoop of Oxiclean.   No stains, even with barbeque and bouillabaisse.   Yes, I iron them, but you can also just hang to dry and fold seriously.     No way would/could I send then out to laundry.   Neighborhood French laundry charges between $15 and 20 per napkin.   I'd rather put that into meat or wine.

Here's where I get them. Pretty inexpensive and seem to be stain / wrinkle resistant. (We also have heavy linen ones but those get ironed hence special occasion.) 

1 hour ago, Behemoth said:

Here's where I get them. Pretty inexpensive and seem to be stain / wrinkle resistant. (We also have heavy linen ones but those get ironed hence special occasion.) 

Those look great.   I was fascinated with the napkins at a recent dinner party.    They were unironed but trimly folded.    I attacked the whole grilled quail like Henry VIII, necessarily using the napkin with abandon.    It cleaned my hands while not absorbing grease or char stains.   Looked fresh at dessert.

Granted mine are labor intensive but amuse me.    Guests enjoy them and I am the last ironer in America.   My rainy day chore.   However, we're in a drought and I have 6 months of dinner party napkins waiting for me.

728179449_ScreenShot2021-09-25at8_10_04AM.thumb.png.df5140b193c8134aa2da9e39ae3a59d5.png

In France, these are not necessrily ironed but meticulously folded after laundering,   A different look but efficient.