I had BIG PLANS for tonight's dinner, I tell you. But ugh, this fucking day. So, panzanella. Minimal effort, and pretty tough to screw up. Homegrown Sungolds, cukes, and basil. Not homegrown mozz (from Valley Shepherd, my #2 after DiPalo's) and red onion. And possibly the second-to-last bread not made in a Dutch oven.

IMG_9887.jpg.1724e608e74c72261138c3e8d1326d5b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

It is ordered. Making room for it alongside the (other) sake set on top of the fridge cabinet. Why do I have two sake sets?* Life is a mystery.

*They're both pretty nice. One is wood, carved by my sister's ex-boyfriend, who is a better woodworker than he was a boyfriend. Everyone has their strengths.

I'm pretty sure this, for my first dinner cooked back at home after a short vacay, would be an @Sneakeater approved meal. Everything already in inventory, so that's good.

Started off by browning a couple of hot Italian sausages...

IMG_5070.thumb.jpeg.5b2f377e5ceadb2412b2f707b3999c54.jpeg 

because who doesn't want that fond? Removed the sausage and added a pint of Marcella's tomato sauce from the freezer, scraping up the fond. Sausages added back after the sauce reduced a bit, and the pasta had just started cooking. The vegetable side had already been on the stove for an hour +...

IMG_5072.thumb.jpeg.ef74221c1701dc5d5582fd0c5f1b6afb.jpeg

Dinner...

IMG_5077.thumb.jpeg.3e05c48bcbb5eab9ea01ecc33dbd1320.jpeg

Marcella's smothered cabbage, leeks in lieu of onion.

IMG_5076.thumb.jpeg.b780f873dd2bb1aaee9e15050b7ad833.jpeg

Ziti with tomato sauce, sausage and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Mrs. P made a delicious kabocha squash stuffed with shrimp and butternut squash puree. We started off with homemade guacamole and chips. It all went great with an outstanding ridiculously inexpensive Rutherford Napa cabernet.

ECECAA55-A8CA-4D12-A653-CD2699093978.jpeg

9D5283E5-2FC9-45C9-B84C-B2A94507C256.jpeg

FA0859A0-6A13-4616-9213-53F597ACC1D3.jpeg

BFBD39CE-EEC1-4510-AC7A-E30628C7DC4D.jpeg

E9ED6270-1879-4844-9E9C-2D8181AA26A8.jpeg

Once again, I'm trying to use up some stuff, in this case string beans (I had a bumper crop) and tarragon (bought to make cornichons - my cukes weren't so bumper). As luck would have it, these things actually go pretty well together. So! Potato and string bean salad with green goddess (ish) dressing. And silken tofu with roasted oyster mushrooms. Long story short, I'm now in love with tarragon.

dinner.jpg.ae96c2587d9029ca4685132200cc1584.jpg

STOP!   Before you submerge, think a meal with Bernaise, Green Goddess, then make a HUGE batch of this sauce..

I used tarragon, parsley and chives and it is the bomb.   

And simply dry some in your microwave for the freshest ever "dried" tarragon.

20 hours ago, rozrapp said:

Where did you buy those sausages?  And looking at the finished dish, I presume before adding them to the pasta, you cut them into either rounds or small pieces?

They're pretty good - from Fresh Direct!  Though Ends Meat also makes some great sausages.

Browned first, then cut into pieces and added to the tomato sauce just to heat through before tossing the pasta in the sauce. 

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

They're pretty good - from Fresh Direct!  Though Ends Meat also makes some great sausages.

Browned first, then cut into pieces and added to the tomato sauce just to heat through before tossing the pasta in the sauce. 

I rarely cook in our apartment. So all my cooking takes place at home in NJ.  I don’t use Fresh Direct, and is Ends Meat in Brooklyn? (I hadn’t heard if it, so I Googled.) During the lockdown last year, I ordered sausages along with a bunch of other items from DeBragga. They were really good. Otherwise, I’ve always gotten the house made sausages from my local Whole Foods.

One of our favorite pasta dishes is sausage, mushrooms, and peppers in a red sauce over rigatoni. I clipped the recipe from the NY Times years ago (ages before the internet). Yours sounds delicious, so I will try it.

• Like 1