• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mitchells said:

How do Jidori chickens compare with Joyce Farms Chickens? Or D'artagnan's Green Circle Heritage Chickens? 

ETA: JUst read your post on Sneak's thread. 

I do think both Joyce and Jidori are a touch better than D'artagnan's.

OMG, now I'd have to do a triple side-by-side-by-side!  (And let's not forget fresh LaPera Bros.!

48 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

Add in Fossil Farms too. I am not a chicken fan. But theirs is pretty tasty.

I have not had one of their chickens yet but their poussin is really good, and I'd say also slightly better than D'artagnans.  

Grilled semi boneless poussin with Piri Piri from Dave Santos makes for great eating. 

• Like 1

Encina Farms, which started selling at one of the local farmer's markets a few months ago, raises Iberico pigs for fresh meat and charcuterie. We finally cooked the small tenderloin that we've been keeping in the freezer, using Cook's Illustrated's recipe for maple-glazed tenderloin.  (The glaze has maple syrup, whole-grain mustard, and a little bourbon.)  It was some of the best pork that I've ever had, really "porky" and rich.  The glaze made it taste almost like Chinese roast pork.  We had plenty of stuffing and roasted vegetables from Christmas, and N made an onion gravy with broth made from Saturday's ham hocks.  Elysian Brewing's Night Owl Pumpkin Ale to drink (brewed with spices and both pumpkin and pumpkin seeds); pecan pie for dessert.  A very seasonal meal.

• Like 1

I may have reached soup half life. But I was dying for pea soup, and the Pea Soup Anderson's version is so easy.

IMG_1064.jpg.34ce62c213ca7634a64b82e0577f871a.jpg

And then a bagel, to use up the cream cheese, but not the salmon.

IMG_1062.jpg.f04bbed6469d537000f3bd90ed5a5abe.jpg

The remainder of that roasted Jidori chicken got picked, the bones (along with some freezer scraps) made some stock. Some was used for...

IMG_5932.thumb.jpeg.6b971d0ce2b7a5c7915a513a681fbe95.jpeg

Japanese curry chicken rice. The rice is so good - 2021 crop, freshly milled Koshihikari at The Rice Factory.

IMG_5936.thumb.jpeg.b1683ab4a618877fc46fad86ac6c2c9d.jpeg

Served with quick pickled cabbage and cucumbers.

Really great to make a batch of the curry roux - the dish comes together quite quickly when that stuff is in the fridge.

Inspired by small h's elegant and refined pea soup, I fell under a super-stodge spell and served up split and fresh pea, ham and orzo porridge.  

2011967895_ScreenShot2022-01-05at6_00_50PM.png.c022e58581fa3272a3f898c95dd3cab4.png

Good flavor and I'll certainly sleep tonight.