• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Behemoth said:

Puntarelle alla romana (next time easier on the garlic and anchovies recipe be damned) + pasta all'Amatriciana (not low carb.) 

It's an interesting balance to strike on the puntarelle (one of my most favorite salads).  What do you use as the acidic component?

Not the greatest of photos. But falafel from scratch (spouse actually thought I used a mix. WTF?!?), manoushe, tahina and cucumbers (because you need a vegetable). I've got to say, they're easy to make - just need to remember to soak the chickpeas before you go to bed the night before.

IMG_1599.jpeg

Here's a look inside.

IMG_1598.thumb.jpeg.d823a2fc0c0f08651fff8c4ab6992042.jpeg

• Like 1

IMG_5970.thumb.jpeg.5e43bd284f4d55dfa358e73b1f78c5d9.jpeg

Spareribs in a Szechuan spicy bean sauce. And because one evidently definitely needs a vegetable, and because I was kinda lazy last evening, green beans cooked along with the spareribs, which isn't such a bad way to overcook green beans, in my humble opinion.

Plated and I need to take a better picture, what with the white plate and white rice screwing things up...

IMG_5972.thumb.jpeg.9f910efe0a7bd938e6a876af682e6b93.jpeg

Oh - and more green vegetable - scallions!

19 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

It's an interesting balance to strike on the puntarelle (one of my most favorite salads).  What do you use as the acidic component?

Lemon. I had a great version a while back at my favorite Italian and I am pretty sure it contained neither anchovy nor garlic. Will try again…

19 minutes ago, Behemoth said:

Lemon. I had a great version a while back at my favorite Italian and I am pretty sure it contained neither anchovy nor garlic. Will try again…

I tend to use both lemon juice and a little red wine vinegar.  But no anchovy and no garlic is not the classic Roman way, is it?

Tonight is a Lebanese hybrid Brotzeit - lentil salad with herbs, roasted red pepper and feta (acidic component verjus because I’m out of lemon) and some labneh with za’tar and olive oil. Olives. Leftover puntarelle greens sautéed in olive oil and topped with fried onions. 

The kids had turkey. Got some pastrami as well, with Bavarian sweet mustard. The bread was French.

1 hour ago, voyager said:

Is it necessary for your food to be classically correct or that you enjoy it?   I DO subscribe to going by the book a few times before custom tailoring a recipe.   

Certainly not but it won’t be “alla romana”.

3 hours ago, voyager said:

Is it necessary for your food to be classically correct or that you enjoy it?   I DO subscribe to going by the book a few times before custom tailoring a recipe.   

I think if I'm making puntarelle alla Romana, or making a salad of puntarelle as I've had it in Rome, it needs to have garlic and anchovy for me to enjoy it.

joe, I think you know that I am of the "name it after you plate it" school.    No one i cook for, traveled guests included, cares a whit about the name although most can identify classics or favorite restaurant renditions when I'm on my game.   Most of my cooking stretches "alla" to the max yet no one has complained so far.

IMHO, using a classic name is at best a short-hand for describing your general intent.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, voyager said:

joe, I think you know that I am of the "name it after you plate it" school.    No one i cook for, traveled guests included, cares a whit about the name although most can identify classics or favorite restaurant renditions when I'm on my game.   Most of my cooking stretches "alla" to the max yet no one has complained so far.

IMHO, using a classic name is at best a short-hand for describing your general intent.

You cook for a much easier crowd than I do, though "crowd" these days is pushing it.

If I call a dish "alla Romana," then I want it to evoke a memory of a place, and maybe even a time, since the one person I cook for the most is the person with whom I've enjoyed that memory.

• Thanks 1