2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

You cook for a much easier crowd than I do, though "crowd" these days is pushing it.

If I call a dish "alla Romana," then I want it to evoke a memory of a place, and maybe even a time, since the one person I cook for the most is the person with whom I've enjoyed that memory.

Your thoughtful post warrants thought.    Just last night we were talking about memorable travel meals.   Very few included the food.   Most were ambiance, some quirky or sweet service element, house specialties (like being a duck farm or pig roast or shellfish feast), general good feelings.   Our food memories often differ because dining out is my one time to eats stuff for which I have no audience at home (offal, for instance).    And in the last 25 years we have been choosing crazy young chef places that most often create food I haven't been able to duplicate as I used to classic Italian or French.    What I call "how the bleep did he do this"? plates.   So, yes, I do cook for a much easier crowd, and I'm much easier on myself than you are on you.   Thanks for sharing all of your plates with us as well as your main critic.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Tuna salad in an avocado half, an homage to my favorite appetizer at Pancho Villa in Asbury Park. Artichoke with horseradish dip, an homage to nothing save what I had in the fridge and felt like eating.

IMG_1107.thumb.jpg.80b306197a222fd17ce1540c9e628d59.jpg

• Thanks 1

I love peking duck, and have since childhood, and to me, that isn't peking duck, but roast duck served in the style of peking duck. Which is still very delicious, but the 1st course is definitely not as pleasurable. The first course of traditional peking duck has just the skin with no meat, and almost no fat at all, usually carved tableside. The duck itself is prepared differently than roast duck, too, and required at least 3 days notice if ordering it, so it was always a special occasion meal for us  

It's pretty much impossible to find traditional peking duck where I am. The restaurants that served it when I was a child have disappeared, and other "newer" ones which have it on the menu use ordinary roast duck. We still order it, but would probably order it more often if it were traditional (so I guess it's a good thing it's not lol). (Lots of places in Bangkok still serve traditional style though. Pic of 1st first attached - look at that skin! I have a video of the duck being carved, too. I'd never have the patience for that. I would just tear off the skin and eat as is!)      

IMG_20190225_193932.jpg

• Like 2

Dungeness crab supper: one enormous crab for each of us, garlic-butter-parsley sauce, freshly dug potatoes from our garden roasted in duck fat in the oven, and a simple salad of butter lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and avocado.  To drink: Widmer Brothers' Green Skies Hazy IPA, which went really well.  I think we were working on those crabs for at least an hour.  N made stock from the shells and is thinking of making bouillabaisse over the weekend.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

Dungeness crab supper: one enormous crab for each of us, garlic-butter-parsley sauce, freshly dug potatoes from our garden roasted in duck fat in the oven, and a simple salad of butter lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and avocado.  To drink: Widmer Brothers' Green Skies Hazy IPA, which went really well.  I think we were working on those crabs for at least an hour.  N made stock from the shells and is thinking of making bouillabaisse over the weekend.

I want in!   Really don’t do beer but can BMOB.   I’ve often downed a lobster on my own but can’t remember surrounding my own whole Dungeness.   Chapeau!

1 hour ago, voyager said:

I want in!   Really don’t do beer but can BMOB.   I’ve often downed a lobster on my own but can’t remember surrounding my own whole Dungeness.   Chapeau!

You got it!  I can provide sauvignon blanc or sancerre or some other wine that goes.  Or maybe a dry martini.  We don't often drink wine when it's just the two of us because it would take us forever to finish the bottle, and splitting a 12-oz. beer is less of a commitment.

N didn't quite finish her crab--she had some leftover meat which will be eaten later--but I got through it all somehow.  Though I did regret it a bit today.

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

OMG

At one point, when we were eating N looked up and said "Have I told you how much I love living in California?"  We'd been to crayfish and blue crab boils in NY, but a Dungeness is something else, even more of a time commitment than a whole lobster.

I took a break from whining about my stupid hip to make some food. Mahi mahi with two sauces, and cream of mushroom soup. It's not a Dungeness crab (and I wish it were!) but it's something.

IMG_1129.jpg.cafb200b5db38b17199159b5ee65faa4.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg.67f43a86f6ba6e76c493e84b45456e39.jpg

10 hours ago, StephanieL said:

At one point, when we were eating N looked up and said "Have I told you how much I love living in California?" 

They (we?) all say that.  Until that first good quake, fire, landslide, flood, water rationing...