2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

All good reasons.  I moved there for school, fun and sun and nude beaches (More Mesa! Santa Barbara!), Silicon Valley in the 80s, learning how to eat avocados and artichokes, etc.

I've got all of these, possibly even to a greater extent than you (well, except the fog and I need a/c).

That wasn't a comparison of CA and NY but a critique of parts of CA or in fact US I couldn't live in.

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

N made bouillabaisse with some of the crab stock, using the recipe in I Know How to Cook (France's equivalent of The Joy of Cooking).  The mussels we got from one of our local fishmongers was disappointing; a few were dead before cooking and a few others didn't open during cooking.  They did have good rock cod, and we got nice, briny clams from another fishmonger.  A proper baguette and rouille in the bowl and on the side; MadFish sauvignon blanc/semillon blend to drink.

• Thanks 1

Eggplant parm for one. A good use of my time? or the BEST use of my time?

IMG_1141.jpg.e75a2a593eeb5071417fb30c087b7a5e.jpg

Hot & sour soup with bok choy, smoked tofu and wood ears. Also too much sesame oil. I threw more vinegar and chile oil on it to contain the damage.

IMG_1143.jpg.51a58106c732a496dc81b86cb4207203.jpg

• Like 1

baked fish with potatoes and onion; green salad with shallot vinaigrette 

this is now our favorite way to eat whole fish: typically branzini or red snapper, seasoned liberally with salt on the inside and outside and stuffed with lemon and flat-leaf parsley sprigs, then baked atop a bed of sliced potatoes and onion for 35-40 minutes at 375 f/190 c. the potatoes and onion are themselves seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil. the fish ends up moist and flaky, and the juices drip down onto the vegetables which result in a glorious combination of crispy and soft. adapted from two kitchens by rachel roddy, pages 250-251.

1338F544-E7B0-472C-991D-AAA44C98ADD9.jpeg

78C4BF78-DAD0-46F2-83F3-657039DE676C.jpeg

14871C86-D0CB-4CFE-84F9-0C04E5D3C9FE.jpeg

F02AEEBC-A5C5-4B82-8388-CBF728159282.jpeg

1 hour ago, Anthony Bonner said:

kenji style = dry brined with baking powder and baked? Big fan. do them once a year for the Super Bowl .

Yes, exactly.  And I sprinkled with a little paprika and pepper before baking.  These wings were a bit hugem which seems to be the way wings are when buying wings only. Because the chickens I buy, which run around 3 - 3.5 lbs, definitely don't have wings this size.

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

IMG_6001.thumb.jpeg.299664ce0103572558cb2d7f4205ed79.jpeg

This was some pre-supper, I guess. Wings, Kenji-style. Ranch dressing.

Gorgeous!

"joe", have you tried this method with larger chicken pieces?    The kids all love wings but several adults don't eat them.   Thoughts?    Other than switch out the adults?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, voyager said:

Gorgeous!

"joe", have you tried this method with larger chicken pieces?    The kids all love wings but several adults don't eat them.   Thoughts?    Other than switch out the adults?

I have not...I think it's all about the surface skin to fat to meat ratio in wings, which make them the perfect candidate for his treatment.

The adults who don't eat them ought have to bring their own food...perhaps this...

image.png.b0745738f3c3422edfcc924d009f72e4.png

• Thanks 1

By request, shrimp/frites.    16-20/lb white shrimp.    AP/cornstarch/rice flour/seltzer batter.    Crystal crust.   Shallow double fried potatoes.   

975519484_ScreenShot2022-01-17at5_12_43PM.png.16a17061a99a5a7488f56d571b242f59.png

Mayo or tartar or cocktail sauce.  

No greens but sliced tomato / ranch.   

N used the last of the crab broth to make a recipe from the book Saffron and Sunshine. It's a warm salad of borlotti beans (we used RG's Borlotto di Veneto), shallots, lemon, fennel, and fish roe.  N used bacalao instead of the roe, and cooked the beans in the crab broth.