From time to time on NextDoor, folks will advertise if they have extra fish to sell from a particularly good outing.  Yesterday, a guy on my local board was advertising freshly caught halibut, $10/lb for whole and $15/lb for filets.  I went with the whole, after having him gut and scale it, and got a 4 1/4-lb beauty.  N grilled it with a herb garlic butter.  For sides, we had sauteed rainbow chard leaves (with garlic, S&P, and a little Herbes de Provence), grilled summer squash and chard stems, new red and white potatoes roasted in duck fat, and a simple salad of lettuce and carrots from our garden with a lemon-anchovy dressing.  Goose Island 312 to drink; peach cobbler that I picked up at the farmer's market for dessert.

• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

chicken in red sauce; broccoletti braised in olive oil with onion, zucchini and preserved lemon; cherries in red wine syrup with fresh bay leaves, served with ricotta cheese.

i adjusted the sugar so it wasn’t overwhelming. definitely a keeper.

A10D6EC5-9F3E-475A-BB13-7DCE95E62A1F.jpeg

26F48175-5EA9-4132-82B4-91908EE05CCE.jpeg

83BC7997-9B5A-4546-BBD5-CA168D5F5E1E.jpeg

FD58E87A-08EC-4FB0-8535-838876B43C1C.thumb.jpeg.b8a53794805898c359da383da073b72f.jpeg

First bunch of the season for me - at Tompkins Square Park.

Used half for a stir-fry of chicken thigh, mushrooms, and ramps. Was good. And boy - these can really make the apartment stink!

On 4/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, Diancecht said:

cherries in red wine syrup with fresh bay leaves, served with ricotta cheese.

83BC7997-9B5A-4546-BBD5-CA168D5F5E1E.jpeg

Bay leaf.   Interesting.    I always save a pound of cherries in season for a compote we serve with cheese platters.   Either water bath for shelf stability, freeze or they'll keep like jam in the fridge almost indefinitely.

Scrapple (again) but this time with a version of sauce charcutière. Mustard, butter and almond flour melted together, add red wine, add finely diced cornichons, season.

Recipes call for white wine, but I don't really want to drink white wine with this kind of dish.

Husband said he was "starving", so a very early supper.   

Sweet Italian sausage, garlic, tomato, giant Limas, chard.   Parmesan at plating.   Really good!

1518616486_ScreenShot2022-05-03at5_29_54PM.thumb.png.38a992f7f0de2895c8a2132b112652ab.png