IMG_7670.thumb.jpeg.7fd5ee99159ab57d4b77d6a1964c0f0a.jpeg

Black sea bass ready for roasting, stuffed with herbs, lemon, etc.

1926717028_IMG_7672(1).thumb.jpeg.b601a556b6e0dff307db9c0ef3f15def.jpeg

Roasted.

IMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.0a840c5cd3593a94dc484889ce603bac.jpeg

@rancho_gordo's lima beans, precooked and then cooked like a confit in the oven, in a lot of olive oil, olives, garlic, herbs, etc. Really good.

Sort of plated...

IMG_7674.thumb.jpeg.2d643739b19378c3c8afad3591dcdf8d.jpeg

Carolina Gold rice, steamed broccoli, some of the fish annihilated onto the plate. Beans were help yourself. More olive oil just splashed over everything.

• Like 2
  • Replies 23.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Again with this. Bluefish broiled with mayo, lime and rosemary; frozen string beans from the garden with thyme, butter and lemon.

IMG_5084.jpg.b88fdb9390892a4e8dd0f7cd189a1620.jpg

Chestnut and cauliflower soup.

IMG_5086.jpg.88ba8b25465dc67e8237db6fa1eba8c8.jpg

It's nice after a long day, when a meal comes together in about 15:00.

• Like 1

Sometime you have to roll with the punches.    Our weekend place is 3 and a half hours from SF, unless, which is usual, we make multiple pit-stops (farm stands, Lowes, et al) at which point it can stretch to 5 or 6 hours, which makes my back howl.    So first night dinner is something i try to simplify.    Like tonight.     Stopped at village market and picked up a rotisserie chicken   +   Instant mashed potatoes (who knew they had improved so much in 50 years) laced with heavy cream and butter.  Impromptu gravy from reduced and thickened canned chicken broth and skin from back and leg of chicken.   Sliced fuyus with blood orange EVOO.    (You CAN survive skipping greens once in a while.)

I've had worse.    Often.

A visit to the Tin Building yesterday provided me with a whole rotisserie chicken, which is in my quest to find a good, French-style one here in NYC.  After a few discussions with a few clueless employees, I was lucky enough to be there as a cook brought a few birds out from the kitchen, so I was able to snatch one that hadn't been sitting in its heated case for however long - not a bad bird for $19.  If they're using the same birds that are being sold in the butcher area, that's even better.

IMG_7685.thumb.jpeg.a299d1cda6d07616b888ad9ff4f3994e.jpeg

Made some mustard greens with bacon, shallot, red pepper, etc. Should've bought two bunches of the greens at the farmer's market, as this one bunch shrank down A LOT - though it was still good for the 2 of us.

IMG_7686.thumb.jpeg.25e4fc91150929ce92de53ad47620f15.jpeg

Rotisserie chicken leg and wing for me. Those mustard greens. Fingerling potatoes (now I forget the variety), parboiled and then pan fried in duck fat. A little pan sauce too, went on Sig Eater's plate (which is sliced breast meat).

• Like 2

re rotis chickens, I can't stop myself from stealing a wing a la Henry VIII before addressing the bird for service.   In fact, I have been able/known to dismember a hot bird, removing entire back and wings, before refornimg it to look like a whole bird and getting it to plate or table.     One food around which I'm almost uncontrollable.   

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, voyager said:

re rotis chickens, I can't stop myself from stealing a wing a la Henry VIII before addressing the bird for service.   In fact, I have been able/known to dismember a hot bird, removing entire back and wings, before refornimg it to look like a whole bird and getting it to plate or table.     One food around which I'm almost uncontrollable.   

Don't worry - I ate the other wing and back stuff before dinner.

• Haha 1

Workplace lunch at Square Pie Guys yesterday (Detroit-style pizza has become a thing here), so I asked N to make something on the lighter side for supper.  She made an Asian stir-fry with boneless & skinless chicken thighs, cremini mushrooms, and roasted honeynut squash, seasoned with soy sauce and Chinese five-spice powder and served over rice.

• Like 1

Yesterday, chunked a couple of pounds pork shoulder, quarter onion and couple cloves garlic into small Dutch oven, chicken broth half way up, and left to simmer in oven. 300F, for 3 - 4 hours.   -> carnitas or name your favorite ethnic pork braise.

Ar table, giant tacos or unfolded burritos, name your plate.

image.thumb.jpeg.824bfa03e0ba4a18c857adc4f9dc0e46.jpeg

Lowcountry shrimp and (cheese) grits, from the Jubilee cookbook. Fried green tomatoes from our garden on the side.

The leftover cheese grits will be breakfast for the next couple of days.