• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daniel

• StephanieL

• voyager

• joethefoodie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Thanks, Evelyn.    UC ER leaves no stone unturned.    She had xrays, several cats and and an MRI.    All good with exception of expected concussion and surprise fractured eye-socket bone.   Extraordinary pain, but no treatment other than let nature take over now.   Very lucky, in the larger scheme of things.  

• Like 1

I'd purchased a fair amount of salt cod at Portugalia Marketplace, in Fall River, MA, when we stopped there on a drive back from Provincetown.

IMG_7723.thumb.jpeg.7ca006d98b3c95ed277486ce95371397.jpeg

This is a Basque dish called Ajoarriero Bakailaoa.  It actually looks better here than the picture in the book, which is way more pet food looking.  After all, how nice can a dish look if it uses soaked, desalted, shredded salt cod?  Also made brandade, because I needed to move the salt cod along.

Last night...

IMG_7729.thumb.jpeg.a2c7b50c1badbfa472c8787d128da34c.jpeg

Always good to see the Zo steaming away.

IMG_7731.thumb.jpeg.5888f218171ed9e753ec78826c342311.jpeg

Japanese pork curry rice, with some fancy Rice Factory rice.

53 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

But, I mean, why would you bother?

Because it pleases me to look at pretty food. And lack of plating doesn't nauseate me, it's just a step other people choose not to take. Which is fine. I'll be over here drinking my undistinguished <$20 wine and expecting not to be judged for it.

Horrendous rain the entire 4 hour drive to the country today.    Stopped again at the village store for a roast chicken.   Got to the house, ate both wings; husband snagged a couple of slices of white meat,     2 hour nap.

Supper = warm chicken, instant mashed potatoes (sexed up with sour cream and butter), curry gravy.    Warm comfort in front of the fire.    Snowing now.

Something about snow, a fire, a rotis chicken, mash, gravy and a little wine makes me very happy.

(Tonight's was less than $20 when I bought it.)

I in no way advocate routinely spending a lot of money on wine.

I DO advocate paying attention to what you're drinking.  And I AM judgmental about that.  (That is not directed at @small h).  Also, not maintaining prejudices based on drinking shit wine as a child with your family and in college (as we all did).  (THAT was directed at @small h, a little.)

25 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Wait you can expect not be judged??????????????????

Maybe "expect" is too ambitious. Hope. I hope not to be judged.

21 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

drinking shit wine ... in college

By some metrics, I'm still in college. And I'm not drinking shit wine, at least not according to me. Just inexpensive, undistinguished wine. Also, for the record, I rarely drank wine when I was in college. I drank vodka with grapefruit juice.

27 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

most of the bottles of wine I drink hover around $20

Recommendations gratefully accepted. I prefer light, un-tannic,somewhat fierce reds and whites with a lotta mineral and not a lotta acidity or sweetness.