I was pleased with the way our meal turned out, and I give a lot of the credit to the excellent quality ingredients we found on Arthur Avenue. I loved the asparagus with the pecorino, a killer combination. The mozzarella was delicious, and the baby chokes were tasty as well.

The osso buco was very nice with the perfect risotto.

Thanks to Abby for supplying the awesome kitchen.

Red wines were:

1998 Argiano Solengo IGT (Blend of Cab, Merlot, Syrah & Petit Verdot)

1997 Isole e Olena Cepparello IGT (100% sangiovese)

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Hasty dinner thrown together with whatever was around or got picked up as we ran errands yesterday -

thinly sliced bittermelon half rings, salted and then squeezed to lessen the bitterness and get rid of some of the moisture

thinly sliced batons of carrot laid over that

ortiz bonito tuna drained and plonked on top

wafu dressing with yuzu liberally poured over the top.

That's my Aunt Rumiko's recipe for bittermelon salad shared with me over dinner in Tokyo. She said it would be addictive and she was right.

we had bowls of rice with freshly toasted nori and garlic pickles and pickled kombu and matsutake mushrooms with that.

Slices of the world's most beautiful aubergine, salted and left; then wiped and floured; dipped in egg; then in mix of dry breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan; deep-fried. Very good. Also small portion of linguine with a spring onion/garlic/chile/cherry tomato sauce.

v

Slices of the world's most beautiful aubergine, salted and left; then wiped and floured; dipped in egg; then in mix of dry breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan; deep-fried. Very good. Also small portion of linguine with a spring onion/garlic/chile/cherry tomato sauce.

Mouth watering, V.

Firm tofu with a nameless Asian sauce that has a picture of a surly dude on the jar, these sauces are always good (plently of MSG) and I like the surly dude. Plus some homemade kimchi.

OOOH

Plus some homemade kimchi

Your own? Did you put oysters in it?

Sadly I didn't make it. One of the local Asian stores sells it (plastic take away container for =£1.20). It contains spring onions, carrot and a green. Maybe lettuce, more likely mustard greens? Lots of chilli and garlic. Ate some for breakfast, complaints all around from fellow office users.

First class takeaway from Ottolenghi in Islington:

a box of squash and chickpeas with Moroccan spices and some (admittedly undercooked) fine green beans with shallots

a box of fennel, feta and mint salad and roast potatoes and artichokes

a slice of pistachio, ground almond and orange flower water cake and a little raspberry tart showing commendable lack of stodge.

clb